Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Alrighty Now - Challenge - Let's Do The Review Hero Thing!

56 posts, 26 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
The vault yesterday was just so exciting but I was shaking all the way through it. Talk about anxiety lol

Anyway, I am glad I waited so long to try one because I had a lot of points but now I'm hooked and want to build up my points for the next one so I want to try my best to achieve Review Hero status. 

From what I understand it's all worked out by the BR algorythm. BR staff don't choose people for hero status personally which is great - it means there definitely is no favouritism which is only fair and logical.

If I'm not mistaken you have to do two reviews a week and be active on the forums, which we are anyway. Head Pixie - if you're reading this have I missed anything?

From what I can gather consistency is the key. So, is anyone up for a challenge?

(Finances aside of course, sometimes things change and there's no way we have the money to be able to buy two products a week to write about and that's perfectly understandable).

Maybe we could have a 'challenge thread' whereby we support each other in this goal. I know I'm not the only one that wants to do this from what I've seen posted since yesterday. If this is a questionable idea go easy on me lol :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
You got it Amanda that hero status are selected by activity on the site, from constant *good quality* reviews to interaction on the forum, there is no game of favourites =) 

I have been lucky to hold onto my hero status for a while now, but I do buy alot of products, have alot to say (shocking right!) and take pride in the reviews I write.   If you are struggling I would say maybe follow some longterm heroes and check out their review styles, etc...

Good luck ladies who want to take part in this challenge it is very awesome being an hero =)
_Nicole_
124 posts
_Nicole_
124 posts
I just posted a screen shot of the guide lines (sorry br if iv done it wrong) . I think your pretty spot on. I'm definatly keeping an eye on this thread tho as I'm hoping I can hold onto my hero title
Macs
5351 posts
I think chikoboos summed it up. I've read a couple of your reviews Amanda, I think their very good. I stumbled across them when I'm about to write my own.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
This is a really good challenge. Also you can have the hero badge, then miss out next time but Certinally can get it back again. A few of us have had this happen. As they say life gets busy and you don't review as much etc
Jesse
745 posts
From what I understood it is a personal selection in that the BR Babes do have to pick the Heroes,  it's not automatic like the other statuses, but you do have to meet the criteria to be eligible. 

Like Chikaboo I've managed to hold on to my status for quite some time, and I think it is all about how involved you are in the site. Life sometimes means you're less involved which is when you may lose Hero status, but I've been lucky enough that I have had the time and interest to continue being active. Involvement really is more than just regularly submitting good, quality reviews, although this is key! Heroes are often the ones you see championing BR on social media and being involved in forum, commenting on articles and polls and interacting on the photo wall. I don't think you need to obsessively spam forum with a bazillion posts, people interact in there own way.

Also remember for Hero spots to become available it first means that current Heroes need to be less active than prospective, which may not be the case come status change time but then you never know! Good luck ladies :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks ladies!

Chickoboo - I see that you're really active all the time and that's great. You are inspirational actually, just so you know. Thank you for replying with the info.

Nicole - I don't think we can post screenshots here as we can't upload images directly but a link works great. I knew there was an article on it somewhere. Can you link it please?

Macs - thanks for that. I dunno, I get stuck on some reviews when the product is just Meh and that's all I'm inspired to post about it lol. I've come across a couple of those kind of products recently and left it till the last minute to post the reviews and have little to say. I'm going to revisit them though and flesh them out a bit and maybe just avoid writing reviews about products like that.

Farmers-Wife - you superdooper hero you hehe :) It's good to know that we can lose the status and then get it back again. It's an achievable goal, nothing to do with luck eh.

First Lady
957 posts
Hey ladies,

Heroes are a combination of factors, the one thing they'll have in common is they'll be top contributors in terms of reviews.

We capped Heroes to 25 so it's a pretty competitive area, and with regards to the number of reviews (and review quality) ...our top contributor last quarter placed 127 reviews in 12 weeks! Interestingly the second top contributor placed 90 reviews but they just were not of Hero standard.

So here's how it goes...we get a list of our most active members across the site and we look at each and everyone. Some will be forum active, others will be social media active. All will be great reviewers (not wordsmiths/essay writers necessarily, I admire the informative, concise reviewer, a skill I do not possess!) They will meet the minimum requirements (life happens, we dont hold the odd blip against you). They will bring a PMA to the site.

A big ask yes, but the perks are pretty cool :)

And let me tell you things are close at the top, most Heroes are at around the same level, 35-50 reviews a quarter so big changes are likely next quarter!

I'm typing like a nanna on my phone so I'll finish for now!

Xx
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I've been a review hero for awhile and I certainly don't buy two new products a week to review. I'm on a flexible replacement only no-buy, and I tend to review products I already have. Buying new things is not a requirement for review hero status. If you write quality reviews and interact on the forum that goes a long way.

I fully expect to drop my shiny badge next quarter as I will be travelling overseas for a month soon and will have very little opportunity to log in to BR.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks for the info Jessie. I know being active on the forum is definitely different to spamming it which would have the reverse affect.

I know I could be more active but I do do the social media thing as well so it's good to know that's a part of the requirements.

I need to get brave and start posting shots on the photo wall too and keep up the review standards and post them more regularly. It's great to have goals :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks First Lady. You're dedicated, being on the forums on your mobile :)

I just did the maths and that's a *lot* of reviews to write. I'm not sure I can ever achieve super hero status but it would be nice to experience hero status even if just for a quarter. I need to up my game :)

Pithrin, I guess I'll just have to do my best. I don't have the money available to buy more than two products a week, and that is pushing it. I don't own that many products either because most of my reviews are about organic or certified natural products that tend to cost more than a $10 eye liner if you know what I mean. I'm working on it though :)
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
That's really interesting about how the Heroes are chosen, and I can see how some people might try and just churn out reviews to get in the picking.
I don't think I manage to word my reviews well enough to ever be a hero, but I think the perks of just being an expert are pretty cool anyway.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Agreed!

It's great being able to have access to the vault - never mind getting in there early and being able to be chosen for product reviews. It's encouraging :)
First Lady
957 posts
BR is never far from my fingertips... 

Again it's a balance that we try to maintain - review quality, site contributions, number of reviews,   Obviously being a review site, reviews are the main thing we look for. 

Some of our top article / poll commenters, forum posters, Social Media interacters do not write many reviews at all, but obviously they come to the site for different reasons - to read reviews and beauty articles. 

Lots of our members are the silent type, we make such an effort to check out any member that writes a review that catches our eye, because it'd be so easy to miss a great,consistent reviewer who might not be as chatty on the forum/polls etc. 

I'm kind of an active relaxer so when The Husband chooses something like the latest Mel Gibson film as our Saturday night viewing I'll sit and read through the review feed (we have a constant feed, it's so cool) and make a note of people to watch!

I think Hero status is fabulous to aim for, but definitely not worth stressing your cotton socks over - participate to the level of maximum enjoyment, but when it starts being a chore, no!

xox  
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I agree, as soon as it becomes stressful I'm not so inclined to participate. BR has never been stressful though, just exciting and a little nerve jangling at times lol.

Thank you for your replies! :)
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you for sharing the background of what it takes to be a review hero First Lady.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Wow, that is incredible! Who wrote 127 reviews, thats amazing. Might have to do some stalking to see if i can work it out (What can i say, i am curious).

I do think that it will become harder and harder to become, or remain a Review hero just because the site is growing so fast, with so many new members , but still only 25 heros. But i still see it is something to aim for .

_Nicole_
124 posts
Amandajane you never know you may be surprised and become a hero. I was really surprised when I logged on here and realised i had been moved up to a hero. I had been commenting on here quite a bit more than i use to be but I didnt for one minute think i would get that amazing hero badge. Plus you dont need to buy more products to do the reviews. I find if i have a good look through my draws i find products that i ahvent reviewed yet and those points quickly add up
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lol i wrote a truckload of reviews because I've been panning but idk if i wrote 127.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
AmandaJane are you the same Amanda Jane who has just won a wee treat from oasis
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I was thinking it might have been you Trudi :)  

Hope you're enjoying your time away!

Nicole - trust me I have nothing stashed I don't know about.  I've got a limited supply of products because I buy certified organic and 'natural' and they don't come cheap. You're probably aware you have to use them up within a certain amount of time too so I have to be on to it :) 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Oh oh oh! I don't know. I'll go look! 

Yes, yayy - well unless there's another one hanging around. I'll email them now, thank you for bringing my attention to it :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Yahoo! That stuff is the best ever! I'm sure I seen you say somewhere you hadn't tried it. Then I see that. Congrats hun
trudijoy
8375 posts
Amanda not sure if its me lol. Im en route to a major mall atm hehe. Loads of cash left but my case is pretty full. Makeup it is ;) i shopped anna sui in Sat :D

I don't wanna come home haha
alikat
423 posts
I'd buy two products a week, but I'm pretty sure with my haul coming next week, I've got enough to write about at three of them per week, I'll be busy for the next seven weeks! I did almost buy something today, but decided better of it (who am I??). But those Rimmel Oh My Glosses are so tempting, even if the colour I was looking at was almost the exact same as a Buxom gloss I already own. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Congrats amandajane I saw that on Oasis Facebook page x
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Farmerswife- I haven't tried any of their products yet, yayy. I'm excited. Not every day I win something. Hot Toddy :)

Trudy - I just noticed your super hero badge. I'm so not surprised they picked you :)  

All that shopping sounds divine and I'm a little bit envious lol. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I've got so many products to review so no shortage here, it's just a matter of getting quiet alone time to write them. I've half typed up a couple of reviews but now I'm back at study it will be harder to sit down and do them. However I'm up for the challenge, so count me in x
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks Mumofthree :)

Alikat - that will keep you busy! Good point about the haul too (I presume you're talking about the vault) I hadn't factored that in yet. Can't wait for them to arrive.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Aww Amanda Jane that is so kind of you to say I inspire you, and I noticed an Amanda Jane pop up on the Oasis FB page and thought to myself I wonder if that is our Amanda Jane hehehe.  Congratulations you are going to love their products I am sure!

In regards to that volume of reviews posted in one quarter, holy moly!! and I thought I was a top reviewer by posting between 3-8 reviews each week lol.  
shazatron101
5112 posts
That's an almighty amount Chikoboo! I do two a week... I feel so small in comparison hahahahahahaha 
Kellyleanne
551 posts
That is an impressive amount of reviews in a quarter, wow!. I probably average around two or three per week as well. I so enjoy my reviewing time, sitting down in the evening with a tea or hot choccy :-) 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I'm up for the challenge! Writing reviews, reading articles and browsing the site is incredibly enjoyable and relaxing so I'm going to make sure I factor in BR time each week. Seriously, I think it has health benefits! I remember feeling super special with a yellow badge but life got in the way and I stopped contributing as often eventually. Whether it ever returns or not, extra BR time is always a bonus xx
pintsize
1072 posts
Congratulations AmandaJane I saw the post on FB and thought oooh I wondered if it was you :) :)

Oooh I am up for a good challenge... My goal is one day to be a SuperHero but I guess we all would love to achieve that status :) but right now I'd settle for getting my gold badge back... It has been a up and down kind of year.

:)
Lutece
1849 posts
Amandajane, you've got this!!

I remember this time last year I had the same goal as you, to reach Hero status, hubby even said he would take me out for dinner if I was ever a "Hero" , the night I was choosen I screamed my lungs out like I had won the jackpot.

The lovely ladies have filled you in already, now lets do this girl!!

P.S I wonder how we can find out who did 127 reviews in 12 weeks? I would love to try and reach that!

First Lady
957 posts
127 reviews in 12 weeks is impressive, we were in awe! But we certainly don't expect it from members!  

9 of the 25 Heroes placed 70+ reviews which is so far beyond our expectations - but I imagine review tallies will take on a natural ebb and flow, some quarters people might try more products, others they might be too busy to write so many reviews, etc.

In saying that, the more great reviews the better, so keep them coming!

Love Nat xx

P.S....we'll only use individual totals as a filter for Hero status - every (up to standard) review on the site is like a little present to us and we value every single member that contributes to the site.  So you won't get the rankings out of me!!

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
After seeing how fast things flew out of the vault yesterday, I am definitely up for the challenge. I have enough in my stash that I should be able to do two reviews a week for awhile, before I run out. I have two to do this week for Splurge vs Save so that will kick start me. I just need to make the time to do reviews. I am definitely more active when it comes to the forum and that's what I enjoy most on BR. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Congratulations on your Oasis win, Amandajane. Their giveaways are awesome. I won a lips and lashes last week. One more thing for you to review too!
Mila
1209 posts
Aiming for Hero Status is a great challenge :) - I remember being lucky enough to get the hero badge I was so freaking excited !! ....I dont review as much as some of the girls but I have been buying a lot of products over the last while and reviewing as much as I can. I do try and keep it consistent but you do have ups and downs in your life in terms of free time.  I really enjoy the forums and the video tutorials and stuff aswell I was super excited to see I got to keep my shiny badge x 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I really like this thread!
I think being a hero is a really good thing to aim for but not something to put yourself out for eg don't spend more than you want to, or make it into something not fun.
For a while there I challenged myself to write a review every single day, and I did it for ages but then I realised I was buying stuff I didn't really want or need just to be able to review it. Now I have gone back to doing it for fun and being much better about finishing products before I repurchase.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Only 25 heros! Wow that is some tight competition there. I take ages writing reviews so I probably don't write enough lol. 
Julieal
915 posts
Chicaboo you deserve your status as you write good reviews and have a a bright bubbly attitude.I have a lot more work to do on my reviews and I am working on improving.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Well blow me down this thread is really interesting. I myself being made a review hero, was totally unaware of my activity of which gave me this badge. Honestly I didn't have any goals apart from raking up my points. (Is this bad?) With my own activity in new groups I have been sharing the BR love on these pages. Perhaps this is what contributed to my badge , as Nat mentioned activity on social network. I've recently been adding into more threads & sometimes I rave on just like now, but generally I participate in the forum because I'm genuinely interested. Being the only adult at home I find it quite refreshing to be able to chat intermittently with other chick's about our thoughts & beauty jargon...
Thanks for this interesting thread it's goven me awareness & understanding.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
k3r1pakai your badge is well deserved - you have made a lot of contributions to the site (reviews, forum etc) in a short period of time. I'm sure your hero badge will be sticking around :)
MareeB
5241 posts
Congratulations on your win Amanda Jane. And I always enjoy your reviews and comments :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Only having two points just motivated me to write a review.  I couldn't handle looking at that sad total anymore lol. I always think my reviews are going to be too short (I write them in notes on my iPad) so I'm surprised at how long they look when I post them. There are some really short reviews out there!
Macs
5351 posts
Congrats on winnning the oasis range. I think your well on your way to becoming a hero Amanda. I love coming here for the similar reasons K3r1. Was awesome to see you gain a badge.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Congratulations AmandaJane for the win indeed a nice winter treat wohooo.
Aww thanks Macs you're a lady with a pure heart, I love how your genuinely down to earth & have a soft mature. You were so sweet when badges were announced asking for my where abouts bless your heart.x chelseaadelaide thanks for the kind words they mean alot x
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I suppose it's just a case of doing our best and keeping it fun. I don't want it to become a chore here, because it's not at all. I really enjoy interacting with everyone on here and we are a lovely group of people. I guess we have a lot in common. Makeup/skincare interest and being females. It's actually quite an unusual group when you think about it. Well I think so anyway. I was reading another forum recently in the States, they are quite rude to each other sometimes. I don't see that here :)

It's nice to know that reviews are appreciated too. 

(I'm looking forward to the Oasis serum arriving now. It's been a great day so far. So many comments too, ty to everyone) x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!