Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Advent Calendars for Christmas 2018

68 posts, 18 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   So I received the e-mail for the Lookfantastic advent calendar for 2018, it's available for pre-order. When I saw last year's and how pretty the box was with the mirror and drawers I put myself on the list for this year's.  I was tempted but what stopped me from ordering was not knowing if it would ship to New Zealand.

So what advent calendars have to you seen and which ones do you want to get? I want ones mainly fullsized body and skincare products and deluxe makeup minis, not mostly little sachet samples and the cheap christmas bauble. Any suggestions?
Isla
1 posts
Hey, I had no idea beauty calendars were even a thing! 

I checked out the Look Fantastic advent calendar, and at the moment there is a code ([color=#333333]ADVENTBB [/color]) for 20% off! It's $130.. I don't know if I will be able to get away with this purchase, my partner might be quite annoyed lol. Does anyone else have experience with this product? 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ummm the box looks super pretty and there are a couple of items in there that I would love but lots that I wouldn't use so not really my thing. How awesome would that box be for storage though eek.

The only beauty calendar I did was that Beautiful Christmas one for a couple of years but sadly I gave a lot of it away as the products weren't right for me.

Would be interested to see what others were out there - a Mecca one would be awesome.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Oooh yes I would love a Mecca one, especially if it had deluxe makeup minis of all these high end brands. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I saw the Mecca previews of the Christmas collections the other day. It looked like there was a 12 day advent calendar for their Mecca Max makeup range. I could be quite tempted by that as I like most things I've tried from that range. I think it would be quite affordable too. There could be a whole lot of glitter in there though lol. 

There was also a Soap and Glory one last year but I think it was well into December by the time Mecca received it. I've had a Loccitane and a Beautiful Christmas advent calendar in the past. Loved them both but still using things from both of them so trying not to purchase one this year. I also have a huge stash of samples which I could use as my own advent calendar if I wanted to use something new every day. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
 Oooh where did you see that Soozie? I'd like to have a look too! :-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
On their Instagram stories so you won't be able to see them now although there's some of the sneak peaks on their feed. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
They also showed the Diptyque advent calendar on Mecca Cosmetica's stories. I hate the think how much they will cost once it gets to NZ. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Okay well since I can't see it. Which ones were the best picks in your opinion for someone who likes mostly fullsized skincare and bodycare and deluxe makeup minis?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
They didn't show the contents but Diptyque is high end perfume and candles - you should be able to see their previous advent calendars online. Mecca Max is a make up line - I suggest you look at their range and see if it's your kind of thing. 

Its easy to see the contents of most of the advent calendars being released this year online. You'd need to research each to see if they will be available in NZ or shipped here. The only other ones I know we definitely get is Loccitane and very limited amounts of the Body Shop one. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I doubt you'll find an advent calendar with mostly full sizes in, apart from the Beautiful Christmas NZ one. 
Julieal
915 posts
What a good idea - the onlt advent one's I knew of were chocolate which are cool though
tabucutie
1811 posts
Ooh I love advent calendars, i'd like to get a makeup/ beauty one though I am not sure which one to get. Look forward to seeing P R hauls on youtube.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Beautiful Christmas has changed hands and I have a surplus of things atm so will probs not buy one this year. I lovvvvvved the Benefit one; their holiday stuff is often epic. 

You definitely will not get an advent calendar with 25 full sized products. Even if it wS $10 products that would be $250 before you even added in p&p and profit.  Beautiful Christmas has had maybe 1/4 full sized each time, mostly deluxe minis, samples etc. the Benefit one was all deluxe minis, but I did get a holiday tin once with a full sized face cream and a couple of samples for less than the face cream. 

This  year I think I’ll do my own ‘advent calendar’ and buy my own wee treat each day to put into a box I get at Xmas :D
tabucutie
1811 posts
Awesome idea Trudi. Atleast that way you would be guaranteed to atleast want to try all the products you buy for your own calendar.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I’ll set a budget and some days I’ll buy more $$$$ some less but I think it’ll be fun
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
That sounds a great idea Trudi! I'm at the point where I'm almost a little overwhelmed by how much stuff I need to get through so there's no room for any surprise products I might not like lol. I'm sure there will be some gift boxes I'll want to indulge in. I'm also away for Christmas and know I will definitely be buying more skincare whilst I'm in Japan. 

Advent calendars are a fun way to get me through the last few days of the school year though and it's fun to experiment with all the goodies over the summer holidays. So I'll probably indulge again next year if I'm home for the summer.

No Lush Boxing Day sale for me this year either but I still have plenty left over from the last one. Did I really just mention Boxing Day in September? lol. 
I got the email about the Beautiful Christmas ones and immediately ordered.  Hubby was kinda cross cos I have SO MANY beauty products, but I'd already spent the money - oops! 

Now you ladies have me tempted by others too... I might go have a wee nosey... ;)
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Sara, I'd love to see what's inside this year's Beautiful Christmas Advent Calendar if you would post pics on the photo wall maybe after the first week of what you found in the advent calendar that week.

I'm always curious about any kind of goodie, mystery or beauty box where they won't tell in advance what you're getting. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I bought a Beautiful Christmas advent calendar for the past two years, but won’t be getting one this year as I need to use up my stash first ... I have way too many products squirrelled away, some still from last years advent calendar, a few purchases this year, and BR vault goodies.  I’d also love to see what’s in this years Beautiful Christmas calendar though.

@tannygirl, if you’d like to see what was in the last two Beautiful Christmas advent calendars, I did daily unboxing photos on my Facebook page, you can find them here: 2017 calendar and 2016 calendar 
MareeB
5239 posts
Thanks Silvene. Your pics make it very tempting but I too have far too many products sitting around to use before I buy any more!
tannygirl
3392 posts
     Such beautifully taken pics Silvene. I think the 2017 box was much better than the 2016 one.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, ladies. Yes, I did enjoy the 2017 calendar more than the 2016 one, but they were both good in different ways, and it’s a great way to discover NZ brands that I hadn’t used or heard of before.  It’s exciting to open a surprise gift each day, and definitely helped me to feel a bit more festive.  I’m going to miss having the little gifts to open this year ... I’ll need to find someone who’s doing a daily unboxing, and follow them :)
MareeB
5239 posts
I struggle to think of an advent calandar with anything but chocolate! I'd love Beautiful Christmas one but I really have far far far too much stuff already. And today I bought some Giorgio on impulse when I saw it at Farmers when I went to buy some Moisture Mist CC cream - I paid for one and got a free one as a gift with purchase. Satisfying trip but I now have even more stuff :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Oh I think Mecca is bringing the Nars advent calendar to NZ. It's got 24 minis and will retail for 239 NZD. At 10 bucks per mini it's excellent value if you are going to use everything. I think also there's a variety in the minis, different lippies, blush, bronzer, concealer, etc. I would get it if had the cash to really splurge but I can't justify it at this point in time. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
      Mecca will also have their advent calendar that's 12 days and will retail for 66 NZD so more affordable. Don't have a sneak peak of what's in it so can't say whether or not it's worth the 66. Some calendars have a couple nice items and then for the other days it's like hair ties, plastic ornaments, a nail file, a nail buffer, you get the gist. Not that I wouldn't use those items but I wouldn't buy an advent calendar for them.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    There's one by Diptyque but you'd probably have to a hardcore Diptyque fan seeing that's an eye watering 681 NZD.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Then lastly Mecca's bringing a Soap and Glory one that's 88 NZD. I watched the unboxing and I'll pass on that one. If you really like Soap and Glory's makeup in general it might be worth looking into and seeing if you like the minis in it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh do soap and glory do makeup? I love their body and skin ranges, hated their conditioner.
siouxsannah
261 posts
Yes they do! I bought one of their lipsticks from Mecca in Wellington. It is a matte lip crayon. It is really good. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Yes their lip crayons are only 7 bucks. You get about as much product as a deluxe mini lipstick, not that I care because it's only 7 bucks. I tried the matte one and it was quite pigmented and longlasting, so ended up buying it for a friend. They have a glossy ones if you prefer, I can't comment on those because I haven't tried them. There's only 4 shade available to choose from.

The Soap and Glory calendar has more lip products, I'm not sure about the variety of types of lippy but you do get different shades and some eye makeup but not a whole lot of variety in terms of type but you get different colors.
trudijoy
8375 posts
interesting! I have a million lippies atm but I'll keep that one in mind!

Re Beautiful Christmas, the former owner (my sister in law) had a VERY strong stance on cruelty free, and I think the new owner has continued that on - they're doing brand reveals on social media atm or you could message Sabeena (the new owner) through the BC facebook page to double check. I'd be astonished to learn that they'd changed their ' all NZ, cruelty free, natural where possible' stance.
tabucutie
1811 posts
That's why I am so interested love the idea to support cruelty free and NZ brands. I want it for Christmas i asked my husband to get it for me,whether he does or not that is a different story. If not I will just buy it myself when I get home from work tonight. (Re beautiful christmas)
KiwiLass
174 posts
Wow, look at some of the amazing beauty advents available elsewhere  that is some list of delights....but probably best for my credit card most aren't available in NZ! Also, I do love to support cruelty free NZ brands as much as possible.
But still, so many prettys!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
The Mecca Maxima 12 day advent calendar could be tempting as Ive liked everything I've tried from that range. It is aimed at a young market though so there could be a lot of glitter in it. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@KiwiLass: I checked out your link and those calendars are absolutely gorgeous! I wish they shipped to NZ and were cheaper. I would hate to think how much they would cost with the exchange rate into NZ dollars.

Do you know how much the Mecca Maxima calendar is @worldofsooziewong? I did have a brief look but couldn't find the price. Is this available to buy in NZ?
trudijoy
8375 posts
i love me some glitter!

Tabucutie Soozie is Level 3 at Mecca so she gets sneak peeks, i don't think they're out yet :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
     If you looking for a bit of a sneak peak of what's in the Mecca Holiday Advent Calendar look on the Mecca Holiday 2018 vlogs on Youtube. I saw one and I think the calendar has an eyelash curler, tweezers, a lit from within highlighter, some mini tubes of product- so it may be decent value for money. I know one of those full-sized highlighters is around fifty bucks, you do get a good ammount of product though but personally I prefer most of my highlighters in minatures so I can get around to everything.

Oh and in terms of spoiler alerts the packaging looks clear in the preview so it looks like there's not really suprise a day in terms of what you're getting. Personally I like it better that way so I've got a clear idea of what I'm paying for. Alright, I better shut up before I talk myself into another purchase I know I don't need. :-p
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tabucutie, Tannygirl linked to a post on Mecca's facebook a couple of days ago which lists all of the holiday gift sets, prices and whether they are avaiable in NZ.

The Mecca Max 12 day one is $66nz - that is their younger more affordable range. The other Mecca Cosmetica one which Tannygirl is describing is $200nz. I've seen that one on the youtube video but I haven't had a sneak peak of what's in the Mecca Max one yet. They are in stores next Thursday.

Ok I have tried adding the links in this post since I am on a laptop and I think they may have actually worked (I can't usually do this on an ipad)
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I'm so sorry Tabucutie, I had no idea there were two of them. I think if were to splurge $200 on a advent calendar I would just spend 40 bucks more and get the Nars one. Sorry for getting your hopes up, I'm a bit disappointed too. But it's probably for the best since I shouldn't be buying one anyways. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
The Mecca Max one could still be worth looking at. It's a good range and much cheaper than the Cosmetica range. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
That is so helpful, thanks for your comments! I got my husband to buy the Beautiful Christmas one for me which I am super stoked about and am keen to try the Mecca Max 12 day calendar. That seems afforadable. What I am getting confused over is which of the Mecca range is the cruelty free one ?
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'll probably get the Mecca Max one in that case - good price and i really like their stuff!

Tabucutie the Mecca Max brand is cruelty free and vegan - other Mecca brands will be too, of course - but not all. That one def is though
trudijoy
8375 posts
This is also probably a list that will help you with Mecca Tabucutie
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Here's an article I found on advent calendars available in NZ. Sorry, I can't do a short hyper link on my iPad so here it is in full:
http://www.viva.co.nz/article/beauty-wellbeing/beauty-advent-calendar-christmas-2018/
shazatron101
5112 posts
My word some of them carry hefty price tags!! I amreally tempted by the Kiehl's one and the Soap and Glory one though lol :-D thanks soozie!
Macs
5351 posts
I’ve never tried those advent calendars before. They look cool . 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oooh the Kiehls one looks tempting. Depends on what the fullsized items are. I'd be keen to get it if it has a fullsized Avocado Eye Treatment. Love that eye cream!

MickChick
41 posts
Oh my goodness, adult advent calendars! YES! I made my sister a mini alcohol one one year haha went down very well. Those mini bottles or alternatively the premixed shots from the bottle store haha A beauty one would be fab, but I have such sensitive skin, it'd be far too risky buying something I'd maybe use a tenth of the products from. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sephora have released their own brand one, and it's pretty affordable! Their range is actually pretty good too

Once upon a Castle

I'm still not tempted yet, but we'll see!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!