Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

A wee holiday

12 posts, 8 members
Kimrose
1416 posts
Hi all, Husband and I are having a wee holiday this coming week. We are in Wellington for 2 days and Christchurch for 2 days. Any tips on where to go and what to see? We have a few things on our list but nothing beats local knowledge. 
MissDilly
229 posts
In Wellington it's all about food and good coffee and the waterfront....there's so many choices  around food and drink especially Courtenay place, Blair Street etc (all near Te Papa).  Best coffee in my opinion is Mojo - their cafes are dotted all around the city.  If you go up Cuba street you get boutique cafes and gelato shops and all that fun stuff.  Very quirky end of Wellington.  There's a bar on Taranaki Street (again Te Papa end) called Dirty Little Secrets - best views of Wellie as it's a rooftop bar but even in winter there's heaters, blankets and lovely cocktails etc.  Te Papa is obviously awesome and has Peter Jackson's Gallipoli Exhibition which is amazing. Book in for High Tea at Hippopotomus restaurant in the QT hotel - it's stunning. Shed 5 on the waterfront which is a Simon Gault restaurant is wonderful - pricey but a lovely treat for a getaway or Dockside is awesome and more moderately priced and next door to Shed 5. Head up the cable car from Lambton Quay to Botanical gardens - great views of the city but don't do that on a windy day or you'll be flying back down in your jackets haha. I really hope you get the fab weather we've been having for the past few days - it's like spring here at the moment! Have a fantastic getaway 
Kimrose
1416 posts
Ooo thank you miss dilly! So many things. Te Papa is a definite and we have dinner planned with some friends on Monday. We are arriving by 9am on Sunday so have 2 whole days there. Will try to fit in as much as possible. The water front sounds great!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Whenever we go to Wellington, we always try to go to Tequila Joe's on one of their "all you can eat" taco nights.  Fabulous tacos and a great atmosphere, but do book a table in advance, it's very popular.

Our favourite coffee shop for breakfast or brunch (they do lunch too), is Midnight Espresso in Cuba Street. Fantastic coffee and really good food. 

Sightseeing things to do:  Take the Lambton Quay cable car up the hill and walk back down through the Botanical Gardens then through the old graveyards and suburbs into town, Te Papa, Zealandia, the Weta Workshop (quite a bus ride, but well worth it if you're keen on seeing the 'behind the scenes' of movies), Wellington Zoo, and there's a nice walk along the cliffs in Seatoun.  

If you're only there for two days, I'd recommend Te Papa and a walk along the waterfront, the cable car ride and Botanical Gardens - you'd get to see more, as the other stuff would take up too much time.

shazatron101
5112 posts
I havent been to wellywood in donkies and the last time i went to Christchurch well, i cant even remember that!

I was going to say go to te papa, i love it there!!!

As for chch, there seems to be a lot to do from a quick google search! Id go on the gondola and the tram thing myself :-D 

Edit: jesus was i drunk when i wrote this hahahha
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
ChCh is pretty cool at the moment. Obviously it still has a lot of work to do after the quakes but town is gorgeous. You've got the new Riverside market and the terrace which I highly recommend. The tram is through town also so you could squeeze that in at the same time. There's also activities down the Avon river in town. Otherwise the gondola or new Brighton or sumner
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Sounds like the ladies have given you some great ideas! Enjoy your holiday:-)
Kimrose
1416 posts
Thank you for your suggestions.  Had a wonderful day today with an absolute stunning winters day, no wind and awesome sunshine.
MissDilly
229 posts
Wellington has spring weather at the moment - so glad you have experienced the  best of the Wellington winter - it's a beautiful little Capital 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Hope you have a lovely little holiday Kim. Agree that waterfront, cable car and gardens are nice if you're trying to fit into a day or two.

I've only been to Christchurch once, but particularly enjoyed walking around the city center and by the river. But I hear there's some nice gardens too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Very late but some of my faves in each:

Welly - cable car, Te Papa, walking the waterfront, walking Oriental Bay (walking between the two as well), wandering through the street malls, heading up the Mt Victoria lookout, the maritime/settlers waterfront museum thingo, and basically more wandering. And that burger caravan thingo. 

Chch - Little High (aka Little on High) eatery esp bacon bros burgers, riverside market, chihuahua Mexican, wandering the central city looking at murals, installations, the old cathedral etc (always fills me with hope), an Avonside wander if the weather is nice, and New Brighton Beach 
Kimrose
1416 posts
In wellington we did most things except the cable car as it was closed for servicing. Christchurch was great, we did the cable car, I really recommend that, the day was cold at the top of the cable car but really worth it.
Thank you for your suggestions. 
I recommend going out and seeing our beautiful country.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!