Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Free 10 day sample of Estèe Lauder foundation.

49 posts, 35 members
nells_92
15 posts
Just like the Estée Lauder Facebook page and follow the link and they will send you a email to show to your closest Famers atore. I got my one yesterday and the makeup artist there tried and found my perfect shade.
nells_92
15 posts
They also give you a card voucher where if you buy any Estée Lauder foundation you will receive a free Estée Lauder mascara and concealer :D
I went in and the lady at my farmers store had no idea what she was talking about! I use fake tan and she was like "well we need a foundation shade that will match your neck not your face because your neck is so dark", which is very surprising since its winter, it is quite obvious I use fake tan as well! She also jumbled up things she was saying and made her come off as an imbecile. To make matters worse there are about 15 shades and she chose a totally wrong one. She put some on my skin and almost pushed me off the chair whilst applying it! I'm more yellow toned and she chose a pink toned one. Talk about useless. I will never buy anything from them again. 
BeautyCutie
130 posts
This sounds great! Hope I don't get a consultant like yours though, that's so annoying :(
Cat
474 posts
I got matched last week at Estée Lauder and it's not my shade either. It was too dark for me. It was totally different to when I got matched to MAC a few days later. The EL girl was very nice and friendly but held a shade card up to my cheek to help her. I told her I was having trouble with all my foundations being too dark this winter (I was wearing bb cream which was my closest match at the time) She didn't seem to take any notice of my neck or chest colouring. I'm not at all experienced but I thought your cheeks would maintain the most colour. She applied some to one side of my face and allowed me to check it with her little mirror, I was in a rush as my partner was waiting on me and I'd already stood around before being seated so I was probably a little hasty in agreeing it was right.... It did look ok under their lights but with a tiny mirror it didn't really give a full impression. I did notice they only had about 6 sample bottles to choose from, not sure if others were elsewhere. A few days later I got matched at MAC and was totally different. I got a perfect match without a card guide and I was so happy I splurged on the foundation (I was desperate for a foundation!) when I swatch the 2 foundations they are completely different to each other! EL matched me to True Beige while MAC matched me to NC20. 

I can understand how hard it would be to match every skin tone and the amount the EL staff would be doing at the moment must be outrageous! Luckily they are free samples and I'm guessing if I was to return with my sample I may get to try again (I won't be though as the smell isn't very nice so I won't be purchasing)
brushandbullet
395 posts
Oh Sammy that sounds like a nightmare.

Luckily, the EL consultants I've dealt with both this time and in the past have been super helpful; yours sounds pretty clueless!

Cat -- for Doublewear they have something like 28 shades, so not sure what those few bottles were for but could just be for another foundation that has fewer shades. Maybe some counters don't carry the full range though!

I've got two samples: Doublewear Light in 3 and the new Doublewear BB cream in 2. I'm NC30-ish at the moment, if anyone's interested. The BB cream in 3 could have worked because it's sheerer but I figured that with going into winter I'd get a little bit paler. 
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I got mine last weekend and it matched me perfectly and am actually really enjoying using it. Am definitely considering buying the full size when I have used up my current liquid foundation.
RachLouise
218 posts
Im so excited to try this foundation.
Im getting mine either tonight or tomorrow.
Fingers crossed they color match me correctly
Lutece
1849 posts
These samples are a great way to see if you like it or not. I love Estee lauder double wear and i was lucky enough to get colour matched when my friend was working there. My aunty has had an experience where she went into an EL counter and was wrongfully matched with double wear, which is why its great you can get a sample when they promote it but i do know the Botany downs Estee lauder counter offers the free sample all year round and theyre lovely.
LouV
55 posts
I went in and got colour matched and a sample the other day. It was fine, but the lady was a little brusque. She was nice enough but seemed keen to get back to doing nothing. It was my first attempt at approaching one of the scary makeup counters, and while it hasn't put me off, it hasn't encouraged me either. 
ollytolly
33 posts
I went in a month or so ago, got colour matched straight away. Very friendly and nice, and filled the tub up.Life pharmacy The Palms 
tabykitten
186 posts
I was pretty disappointed with the Wellington Farmers... I was looking at wallets near their area and I could hear the two sales people complaining about how people kept asking for free samples. Undeterred, I decided to go over and ask anyway. At first they ignored me, then when they finally acknowledged me they didn't even bother to try to match me, they just said 'oh you look like you'd be a ...' and I didn't catch what they said the shade was. I tried to ask them to repeat it but they just talked over me to say that they were out of that shade.

They did take down my details and promised to be in touch if it came back in stock, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a real shame too, I did a swatch of their concealer and I really liked that but I won't be back.

K8D
59 posts
Tabykitten try the EL counter at Kirks, I have had much better service there. The woman took her time colour matching me and it's great. I am really liking using the sample.
tabykitten
186 posts
Oh what good idea! Thanks K8D :) (And I LOVE your nails!)
lanz_n
7 posts
This sounds fab cause I just ran out of foundation! Will be heading to farmers tomorrow.  :)
nells_92
15 posts
Tabbykitten that's terrible. That's so rude it would of made me feel uncomfortable too. I would of made a complaint about them or something...
kirstysays
762 posts
I still need to go get matched I really want to try this foundation :)
divadee
5 posts
Went yesterday got a younger consultant who was very helpful was matched up found out about colour tones I'm pink which is good to know, got talking with consultant now my daughter and I are going to see her in the holidays she is keen to make over my daughter who wants to be a make-up artist when she older very cute :-) 
colleencanary
764 posts
Does anybody know if Doublewear is acne friendly or does it excite acne? Weird question I know but its the story of my life :(
accidentprone_x
845 posts
Apparently it can cause breakouts according to the consultant I got.
colleencanary
764 posts
Thanks accidentprone I'll have to give it a miss.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
They also have the double wear foundation on review too
colleencanary
764 posts
Yeh I saw that but I hadnt found a review that spoken about it making acne worse or not so I thought I'd ask :)
accidentprone_x
845 posts
True. I don't actually break out all that often but I have almost used up my sample and haven't actually broke out with any acne.
Kenns
85 posts
I have really sensitive acne-prone skin and unfortunately it broke me out :(  I have friends who were fine using it though, so I guess it just depends on individual skin.
tare1
4 posts
I recently went to the Farmers in Hamilton where I was looking forward to getting a sample matched to my shade of skintone as I am currently looking for a new foundation. Upon arriving I was told by the Estee Lauder lady that she would find someone else to do my makeup and walked off. I waited awhile and was served by a makeup artist from the Bobby Brown counter. I was quite excited as the lady was a Bobby Brown makeup artist and I know how great Bobby Brown products are. She went through a few bottles to see which shade would best suit. Before applying the selected shade I informed her that I already have makeup on and that I may need to remove it so I can get a better match for my skintone but she informed me that "it should be fine". I checked in the little mirror she gave me and was hard to tell if it was the correct shade as I had to take into consideration the lighting and how it may look without the makeup I had on already that was under the product she applied. She only applied to my chin and half of my cheek and gave me my sample and was on my way. As I got to my car and checked in the mirror I had noticed that the shade looked slightly darker than the makeup I had on already. I went home and started a fresh application with my sample and after 20 minutes I noticed that the shade was too dark for me. A real pity as I love Estee Lauder so will maybe try a different Farmers or another brand.
Jesse
745 posts
I went in to Farmers today with the sole purpose of getting colour matched at Estee Lauder as I kept putting it off (even though I ended up purchasing MAC Pure Heroine lippy whee), I even went in shock horror sans any makeup, which is a rarity for me in a mall. There were two consultants on both available so I was able to be matched straight away. She wiped my face first to be sure of no makeup. I told her I had trouble finding the right shade as I thought I was yellow toned but everything I've tried was too dark or too yellow, and she said that my body and neck looks yellow-toned but because of the redness in my face from blemishes this can through it off, so I was matched to N2 Desert Beige. At the counter it seemed a nice enough match so I wandered off with my sample, then out of curiousity decided to get colour matched at MAC as well as a consultant I used to deal with a lot at Clinique now worked there.She matched me to NW20 Studio Fix which suprised the heck out of me, as I had been using NC30 Pro Longwear over summer although that was when I was very tanned and I had assumed that I would probably be about NC25 now. It really was a perfect match so I will be purchasing this soon enough, especially as I compared the MAC and EL at home and the EL does look a shade too light for me. Definately pays to get properly colour matched!
Chaotic82
522 posts
When we get MAC at Westfield I will go there and see what they match me with.  I'm pretty happy with my EL match.  I think it's actually the lightest one...  But Clinique was WAY off.  
kstah21
127 posts
@jesse, who did you see at EL for your colour match? Maddie matched me last Friday and she was awesome :) also who matched you at MAC? I seriously need to jump on the MAC foundation train I think but to scared ...... (Only cos I'll end up loving it and spending more money) Lucky you got pure heroine today tho, mines on hold till Thursday....... And I soooo want it NOW lol. 
Jesse
745 posts
kstah Pure Heroine is sooooo good! It's my first dark lippy so it's taken me a bit of getting used to but I love it. I'm honestly so so hopeless at catching people's names! I wouldn't have a clue who matched me either time, I was hoping at MAC it would be on the receipt but it's just generic, would be nice to actually know who it was because she's always really helpful. Is there an Angela? 
leshritson
47 posts
My best friend is a Estee Lauder girl at Farmers in Palmy - her name is Amy, she's really great and matched me today finally :) I'm NC15 and Bone in Double Wear
kstah21
127 posts
@jesse yup I love pure heroine!!! Lol and yes ang is at mac now, she used to be Clinique at chart well I think. She's awesome!!! But if I was getting a makeover there I'd book on with Nat, she is 2ic and was napolean and Bobby's counter manager :-) 
Jesse
745 posts
@kstah that's the one! I used to always go to her at Clinique at Te Awa when I worked out there, I'm a bit of a Clinique fan haha. Awesome, thanks for the tip on who to see, I've been wanting to book in for makeup sometime but was worried I would end up with someone with less experience as it's quite pricey but I look foreward to being able to redeem it on makeup :D
defecktive
14 posts
Thanks for the heads up on this! I am terrified about going in and talking to the make up girls but I really want to try the foundation ( I am still on my quest for the right foundation).. some of your horror stories make me anxious, but it'll be worth it if I get correctly matched! 
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Did anyone get a 10 day sample of the Double Wear foundation or just the Double Wear BB? I went into EL Ballentynes CHCH hoping to get a sample of the foundation beacuse I've been wanting to buy this for EVER but she said it was only valid for the new BB cream stuff which was kind of dissapointing because I don't wear BB creams! Also, maybe I apply way too much haha but there was no way I could make my '10-day' sample last a full 10 days!
brushandbullet
395 posts
Christie, that salesperson was wrong. It's for any EL foundation! I got both the Doublewear Light and the DW BB cream (different counters; Farmers and Life Pharmacy).

I think they were just being difficult, because you should be able to get samples of any foundation at any time regardless of the promotion -- this is just a marketing thing to get the word out.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Awww man!! Thats what I thought when I headed in there!! It was really dissapointing and terrible marketing on her behalf because I'm more a full coverage foundation wearer and double wear is right up my alley, had I tried it, I probably would have ended up liking it and convinving myself that I needed to buy it. Wheras now I'm left feeling like I don't particularly want to go back to the EL counter and I think i'll invest in a different foundation :( pretty gutted, wanted to try double wear for aaages!
mamaK
75 posts
How dissapointing Christie! MAC sounds like a fab foundation, wish it was sold somewhere in our city :/
jessbell8970
16 posts
Is it bad that I freak out and get too scared about getting colour matched? I usually go out with makeup on so I freak out knowing they'll have to remove it so is it better just to go bare? I feel bad for asking too? 
shanellealarna
101 posts
I took my voucher in to my local Pharmacy to get my sample, turns out I didn't need a voucher as they had it advertised everywhere anyway.

The lady wasn't particulary interested in helping me at all, and didn't even bother colour matching me. She consulted with another assistant before deciding I'd probably be a 2, promptly squeezed out some product into a pottle and sent me on my way.

Very disappointing and very off-putting for the brand. Regardless of whether I like it, I wouldn't consider buying it due to slack service and lack of interest in me a customer.
Bad juju, Estee Lauder ladies!
Susilia
484 posts
I can not believe the lack of service of these beauty encounters, I work at a supermarket selling fish and I give better service to customers than that, regulars do know me by name and they know that I know what they want/need, what wouldn't I give to work at a beauty encounter, match skintones, apply make-up and at least I am interested in beauty products... in fish? No way! I still smile though... So who can give me a job? I'd be much better of service than these not interested at all people, it annoyes me, aye! Okay, rant is over. Where in Invercargill can I study to be a make-up artist or something similar?:) 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
These ladies should be doing their best to promote and sell double wear to their customers, so they really should be doing thorough colour matches and not begrudging giving out samples. At the same time I can certainly appreciate how many times they must be doing this at the moment. I think a lot of women aren't aware that you can get samples of most foundations from any counter, any time of the year. Perhaps not 10 days worth but at least enough for a few days. When I colour match and sell a foundation I almost always give a sample alongside the purchase for the customer to use before opening the foundation, just in case the colour isn't quite right in natural lighting outside of the mall. This is something you may want to ask for, especially with a high end foundation xx
Macs
5351 posts
Im still trying to find it on the estee lauder website.
colleencanary
764 posts
I went to get colour matched twice because I wasnt happy with the first colour match and both occassions the consultants flooded me with samples and more than a 10 days worth supply and I was pretty impressed.

I guess it's all about the attitude and if you're really interested in buying? Both consultants told me people get colour matched and cant ask quickly enough for samples and then just dart off. No interest in the product performance and or asking questions and they deal with this behaviour regularly so I guess the only advise I can give is to really be interested in the product, ask lots of questions and they'll be loading you with foundation, skincare and serum samples :)
1139 posts
I agree with you Colleen. I obviously have no experience in the area but I can imagine it'd get a little frustrating to have people asking for samples just because they're free and not because they're actually interested in the product. I haven't gotten a sample because even though Double Wear looks amazing on all of you, I'm not really interested in a full coverage foundation. If people aren't interested in the product, why do they even want a sample of it? 

Also yes, it is part of EL counter ladies' jobs to hand out samples, and sure, some of the staff are not always super friendly, but it's always worth thinking about it from their perspective too. I feel like I'm contradicting myself though because I hate bad customer service... but we all have bad days and we all make mistakes too! 
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
I got one because I wanted to see what all the "hype" was about, also mine included a "Professional Skin Consultation". The lovely girl had a hard time matching me due to my fair skin but I ended up with DW Light 0.5 for foundation. And she did try to fin a concealer to match me but all of the ones she had was too dark.

In the end I dont think DW is for me. Not just because it was hard to match me but a;so how it felt on my skin. That is what samples are for, right?
bronjenks
253 posts
I got my coupon,  now just too scared to go in anywhere to use it, lol!
simone94
191 posts
double wear was too dark for me but they gave me a trial of the shade cool bone anyway. would be interesting to see if the double wear light in 0.5 would match me
Went in to my local Farmers today and got my wee pottle. Lady was lovely and told me about a special next week, buy 2 products, get a 10 piece set free.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!