Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

When its all too much

9 posts, 6 members
How do you suggest to someone that you work with that they may be overdoing the fragrance. She wears nice expensive perfumes but reapplies when coming into the office, after lunch and as she leaves. Quite a few of us are quite sensitive to odours and don't know how to approach her without getting her back up. I get that its her choice but its a bit overpowering...
trudijoy
8375 posts
i don't think you can.  It's personal choice and you will offend her, i think. 

I think a better approach if it really needs addressing would be for a general message to go out that  a staff member suffers from something like migraines, and that strong scents are a trigger, so if everyone was able to not apply perfume throughout the day, use air freshner etc etc that would be appreciated.

I'd be so embarrassed and offended if someone told me that when it's a matter of personal taste. 
Susilia
484 posts
We’ve had this problem at my work. 2 ladies were working close to each other and one used to get migraines from the other lady’s perfume, so she went and complained to the boss and the boss told the other lady to wear less or not wear perfume at all. It worked out fine in the end as she wasn’t offended, more understanding, just annoyed that she got told by the boss and not the lady who worked with her.
I don’t think it’s personal choice/taste/preference if one is suffocating others with bathing in perfume. If someone is sensitive to that much fragrance (and it sounds a lot) or  gets migraines from it, it needs to be addressed one way or another, good luck!
Sophia
203 posts
If it was me I'd certainly rather hear it from one of my workmates than from my manager. A quiet word between ladies in the bathroom is a better place to start. Some people get seriously riled if things get escalated. Of course it also depends on how familiar and friendly everyone is with each other. 

If you speak to her and she says 'get stuffed' then these options may work:
Get a fan for your desk that gently gives you fresh air...
or mention it to her or your manager. Except not if it's a a male, maybe another associated female manager or colleague.
And if you decide to say something, is there a way to figure out why she wears so much so that the approach can be adjusted to suit? Like if she just likes the smell but can't smell it on herself, that's a different conversation to if she is paranoid about a real or perceived body odour. 
It's difficult, that's for sure.

MareeB
5244 posts
I had the same problem with an old colleague whose perfume made me feel really ill. She wouldn't even talk to anyone let alone listen to concerns about anything so I couldn't say anything to her and my boss wouldn't say anything because my boss felt bullied by her. It was tough going, but in the end she got moved on, luckily for me! Today's workplaces leave a lot to be desired ... and actually if you're doing something that harms someone else you are breaching health and safety, so it should be a straightforward conversation. But we know some people are not reasonable...
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ah work place politics. There’s also the reverse of when someone needs to apply a little more fragrance because their body odour is well fragrant in another sense.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i find it far more offensive, personally, if people go on smoke breaks during the day and return smelling of smoke  Or if they've allowed their pet dog a pre work cuddle and smell of dog.

But i'd never ask people not to do either, because those are my own personal 'ew's' - although the smoke one actually does trigger my asthma.

Sorry but I really do think this is more of a personal preference, and even if someone is showering in perfume they deserve to be able to stay dignified there. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
the BO thing crystal - you'll notice that in aucks over the next month.  The weather is hotter but people aren't dressing for it yet and there are some stinkers out there!  I carry rollerball perfume to dab under my nose sometimes
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Haha thanks for the insider tip Trudi.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!