Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Perfume samples - where do you get yours?

24 posts, 19 members
g1ggles2
358 posts
Hi ladies,

I dont know about you but when it comes to my perfume I like to try it a few times before I commit to buying a full sized bottled - because lets face it the good fumes aren't cheap & I dont want to end up spending the big bucks only to discover that it doesn't work on my skin.
They always smell good on the paper cards hahaha

I have found a site called My Perfume samples (in the USA) which I now use to order sample sized vials and I find the prices pretty good.
Postage is about $10

I once had an order come & every one of my samples was smashed. When I wrote to complain about the state of the packing they re-sent my samples no questions asked which arrived within a week undamaged this time.

I wondered if anyone else knew of any places maybe closer to NZ that also do samples.

Trade me sometimes have sample sizes but can be quite pricey too.

tannygirl
3392 posts
Oh I didn't know they had sites like that I'll have to check that out. If there's a NZ site that does that. Wooohoo somebody stop me!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Great for the share I'll might have to just go check out getting some samples from the USA, I do love youshop I can get a hold of nearly everything we miss out on.   We don't have many perfume makers here in NZ that I know of if any at all?
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh this sounds good, well apart from the smashed bottles that is, but really good that they replaced them so fast.  Will definitely look into it.  Thanks heaps for sharing hun :-)
g1ggles2
358 posts
No worries :)
Im naughty - I placed an order for 4 more samples this morning

The new Katy Perry Killer Queen Oh so sheer
a couple of Escada's
And Rock Princess by Vera Wang

Chaotic82
522 posts
Oh this is awesome!! I get so many headaches from perfume, so love to try it a few times first.
And how did I not know about Youshop??  AWESOME!
Imoshen
461 posts
Ooooooooooooooo they have Jo Malone stuff on there :).
kayxcake
422 posts
Gotta love a company that have excellent customer service! I usually get my perfume samples from sephora / nordstorm, they come free with each order but sometimes youshop would decide to take them out due to not being able to ship perfume to international address :/ I am excited to try out the website you've mentioned! Thank you for sharing :)
Bronnie
78 posts
I have used both My Perfume Samples and The Perfumed Court for my samples.  All samples arrived in good condition and within a reasonable length of time.  I too Chaotic82 suffer alot of headaches and feeling nauseous from perfumes so I like to try samples at different times of day before I splash out alot of $$ on a bottle - have been caught out before and spent big money on a perfume I loved only to find it gave me really bad headaches! Argh....!!
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
What is youshop???
chikoboo
3402 posts
youshop is a service provided by NZPost, that enables you to have a shipping address in wither UK or USA or both if you sign up to them.  Basically you can buy products in America and they will post to your USA shipping address (which is a storage type building owned or rented by NZPost) they take care of your parcel and forward onto you once you have paid for the shipping, they send you an email to let you know.  Check out nzpost.co.nz for more info :)
Chaotic82
522 posts
Is it really expensive?  I worked out postage based on their calculator and it seemed pretty steep. :/
jessfowlie
12 posts
I agree with youshop being steep. I havent used it, thinking anout it tho. May be easier to get with a few people and split the postage?
borrie13
13 posts
I didn't know there were sites like this out there. It never really occured to me. Thanks for bring this up, I'm going to have to check it out for sure!
ChristieMJ
358 posts
YouShop won't ship perfumes as they're classed 'hazardous substances' - I found this out the hard way!! Ordered two full size perfumes from amazon and they had to get chucked :( cost me over $100, was SO GUTTED 
sheri_will
6 posts
i find it a bit annoying that scent bird doesnt ship here...will definately give My Perfume Samples a try soon
MareeB
5242 posts
I've gotten trial sized bottles from smellycat.co.nz for $10 each. I like buying packs of minis when I can get them, as it's a good way to try the fragrance for a few days without paying much for it. I'll be looking for the Lancome pack in duty free as it's hard to find in NZ now.
maria4meyer
8 posts
Have you tried www.scentrepublic.co.nz?
Macs
5351 posts
I miss the old days where they would have a magazine perfume page insert .Where you could get a smell of the scent lol I miss samples . 
MareeB
5242 posts
Oh yes Macs - I always loved the Avon books where you could rub the perfume off the page. I haven't seen an Avon book in forever.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Wow flipping through catalogues and making a list of things you want is such a throwback memory. Now it's just all online shopping carts!
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have managed to buy some sample sizes online or in store.  I imagine you'd have to just go stores and do a spray test nowadays or blind buy though I wouldn't recommend it.

I used to do that with Avon catalogues when I was a kid,  I felt very adult wearing a perfume lol.
Kat555
143 posts
What happened to pharmacies giving out little samples. You hardly ever see the wee carded samples any more. I would buy more perfume if I could try it a day or two and see what it is like.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Does anyone know if Scent Republic are still trading? I see their website is still there but their facebook doesn't look its had much action since last year.

There are a few that I would like to try although I would rather just purchase when I want instead of an actual subscription.

Since this thread was started, has anyone found any new perfume sample sites to shop from?

I purchase from NZPerfume but they are full size perfumes not samples. Although in saying that, you can buy miniatures with a couple of different perfumes from one brand so maybe that is what I will do. More expensive but can always give as gifts to family and friends if I don't like them.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!