Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How long will your fragrance collection last?

56 posts, 30 members
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I was curious about how long a bottle of fragrance takes the average woman to use up so did a bit of research and found these figures:

Bottle size       Sprays per wearing      Days scent will last 

50ml                3                                   245

50ml                5                                   147

50ml                10                                 73

100ml              3                                   490

100ml              5                                   294

100ml              10                                 147

So, how long will your fragrance collection last? I normally spray about 5 sprays, so based on my current hoard of scents I'm looking at about 2.5 years to use up what I've got, which isn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be!

I've recently started spraying myself before bed 1) because I love smelling good and 2) it helps to use them up, so hopefully I can halve that! Does anyone spray 10 sprays? I worry about smelling too offensive doing that!
shazatron101
5112 posts
IT'S SO NEAT AND TIDY D: :D Anyway. Wow!! Who sprays themselves 10 times? I think I'm guilty of that sometimes, but thats only because I'm positive the spray is only doing half it's job. I think I'm about the same as you though year wise, I only have one 100ml now and I'm mowing through my 50ml bottles like they're candy >:D 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh no! I have 6.75 YEARS of fragrance! I need to start bathing in the stuff. I've just sold off a heap maybe I need to sell more then :(
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I spray about 5 times. I'm nearly out of perfume so mine could be gone in a month if I use it every day.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Haha Shaz, I love me some graphs! I'm the same as you, I only have one 100ml bottle left that should be done by the end of the year, pretty sure I'll never purchase another 100ml again! And now that you mention it, I do spray an unhealthy amount of Viva La Juicy when I use it coz that stuff refuses to stick to my body! Wai!?

6.75 years Ong?! Wow! That's what I feared I was facing lol how many sprays is that with?

Itsclearascrystal, I am mighty envious! 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I have 2.5 years as well, although I don't wear perfume everyday atm. Ok, I guess I don't need to buy anymore perfumes anytime soon! 
Ringy
825 posts
So by my calculations from those calculations - I should buy 1 100ml bottle for a years use- 3 sprays in the day plus 1 extra at night ( I like that my bed smells like me) - I have heaps but the ones I'm sick of I usually use about 6 sprays to use it up! I think I have enough to,last me until menopause then I might be up for a total different fragrance range since I've been told your body chemistry/perfume reaction thingy can change after then. 
Ringy
825 posts
Oops double post- I spray about 10 sprays at airport duty free- it's the worst when you pick a dud and it makes you feel nauseous for the whole flight!
-Bex-
611 posts
Sarah thankyou!! I have been thinking about that for ages And I love how neat and tidy you have written it, its so much easier to read. 

I have got 6 half bottles (50ml) on the go so just over a year? My favourite is nearly out :( might wait until I have finished more before repurchasing
trudijoy
8375 posts
I use perfume I'm over (might be old, or not really me, or surplus to requirements) as room spray - esp in the bathroom. Atm its a white musk libertine from the body shop that I got for 500 yen (about $8 NZ) @ the outlet in Osaka but never got round to using because I got a Victoria's Secret perfume on that trip as well :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
This is so cool!

I only have 3 bottles at the moment... two Jo Malones at 30ml and Stella at 50ml. I like to keep my collection small as I worry about it going off, and I hate having too much choice. (Although I want to pick up another Jo Malone when I go up to Wellington).

So my collection should last me around 294 days as I spray 4 -5 times per use (two on each arm and one in the middle... where does everyone else spray?). I like that it will last me less than a year as I do worry about it going off with light and just general age. Plus it is nice to change it up as your tastes change.
trudijoy
8375 posts
kirsty i spray three - one round belly height, one round boobs and the last one over my head (so it gets in my hair a little) and then a tiny bit on one wrist, and rub my wrists together
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
According to this which is awesome and so informative by the way my collection would last 2.5 years holy moley!  What sort of life does a perfume have?
Macs
5351 posts
I think it would last me another year. You have this all mapped out Sarah. I spray 5- 10 times
shazatron101
5112 posts
I read you aren't supposed to rub your wrists together when you've sprayed perfume on them, as it bruises the smell of the perfume!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Im a rebel shaz;)
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Hahaha Ringy, I had to laugh at your duty free comment because I've totally been there! Oh the regret. But I just can't help myself!

A lot of people will say the life span of a fragrance is around a year but as long as they're stored properly (in a cool, dark place) they can last years! Mine are out of direct sunlight, but not in a dark place because I like having them out on display! I've never noticed a change in the scent or length of wear time but I don't think I've had a fragrance last more than 2yrs.

I generally spritz behind each ear, on each wrist and over my head. Sometimes I'll do a couple of body sprays if I'm feeling extra scenty! I always hear that you should spray behind your knees, does anyone do this?!
Rezee
1964 posts
Oh my gosh! Ok I think I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this. If any of you saw my perfume collection pic, I think you'll know why! I do use up perfumes quickly, I reapply a few times a day. I'd still have years and years worth of perfume though.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Im the same as your KirstyJ, I only like having a small collection becuase Im scared it will just go to waste. I have a 30ml black opium, a 30ml Dolce and Gabanna the one, and a 100 ml Flower Bomb (which is getting very empty). I think i spray around 3 sprays, and ones on my chest, ones on my arm and then one a bit higher up. I actually dont't know, i just do it subconciously
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I do the 3 spray. One boobs, one tummy and one on my butt! It's a standing joke between hubby and I. I used to spray lots of times a day and I forget now. Off to spray I go.. I do like to spray before bed. I was doing that with all the ones I sold. Must get back into a routine of doing it. I should do it when I'm sucking my candylipz
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have heard that too shaz, it damages the scent. Someone I talked to said the best way to apply fragrance is to spray it into the air in front or you and then walk through it. That way the smell is delicate, and soft! However... if perufme is expensive, I dont want to waste it spraying it into nothingness
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Haha Rezee, I'd say you're in a similar boat to farmers-wife!

Binary I'm the exact same, have heard numerous times that I should spray it in the air and walk in to it but that idea just doesn't gel with me...I do the one spritz above my head and that's as good as I get on that front! And that's just so it disperses through my hair :P
Kimrose
1412 posts
I have just had a look and I have enough perfume to last through the next zombie apocalypse.  The issue I have is I work in a pharmacy and really only use my own ones on the weekends as we have testers to use at work. When I spray I do both wrists and behind both ears and boobs.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
He he ok that's a long time 
Thank goodness for sisters who borrow and don't return xx
Koni
444 posts
Awesome thread Sarah, I like the layout - very reader-friendly!! 

Ringy I never thought about spritzing at duty-free, I usually get distracted with pre-ordering my "cuppa teas" for my return haha.

Renee - I've seen that post and wow I'm guessing you're in the same category as Kim; should last through the next apocalypse? ;-)

I'm a "spritz-happy" kind of girl, expensive or not if I'm going to kark it tomorrow I want to go smelling divine buahahaha.  I have 2 x 100mls left - 1 is not a favourite (clearly had a brain fart when I bought it) and the other is a favourite so based on the chart they should last me just over a year but knowing me I should be finished in 6 months lol.
MissQT
1547 posts
I only have a couple if perfumes in my collection, so mine will keep me going for just over a year, although I don't wear perfume everyday. I spray my neck/chest and then sometimes wrists and my hair when I want it smell nice haha. I like the idea of wearing before going to bed.
glamfish
87 posts
I think I'm a 5 sprays person. One on each wrist, one on each arm and two on the chest lol.

I currently have 4 perfumes on rotation but I don't wear them everyday. Most working days I do but they will last awhile.
pintsize
1072 posts
I just packed the majority of my collection away for a spell, but I have my 3 most favourite ones out on display but I couldn't imagine using that much per day though (I feel guilty if I spray more than twice).  
I am still trying to shift my mental focus from using nice things for special occassions rather than enjoying them everyday so perhaps using more perfume should be one of my steps :D
xx
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Kim_rose that would make it very hard to use what you've got! I think my collection would be much smaller if I had free reign on different fragrances during my working week.

Pintsize, treat yo self! It's definitely time for you to get spritz happy! Koni will give you some tips. Speaking of, Koni what's the scent you're going through that is a fave?
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I have far too many fragrances to even want to attempt calculating this hahaha but I aminly own 50mls and use 2-3 sprays per use soooo I see my collection lasting a long, long time lol.

I have actually been trained in fragrance so here are some little tips for you ladies (:
- fragrance should be kept in it's box and in a cool, dry, dark place - never the bathroom or in direct sunlight! If you store your fragrances correctly they can last your whole life.
- Toilettes are less concentrated and so usually require more sprays to achieve more scent pay off. These are typically more affordable too.
- Parfums are highly concentrated and are often considered more luxurious, they take less product to achieve a heavier scent pay off and as we all know, are way more pricey!
- How to properly apply your fragrance: spray about 15cm away from your skin and spritz onto pressure points (behind ears, inner elbows, behind the knees and wrists). DAB don't rub! This does damage the scent and can make it smell completely different. How I apply is spritz onto sides of neck/back of the ear area and then dab each side with my wrists. Or I will spray onto inner elbow and dab with the opposite arm.
- Layering your fragrance will make it last longer. Most high end/designer brands will offer matching shower gels and body lotions, these are meant to be used in conjunction with the fragrance - use shower gel and then generously apply your lotion/butter, you then spray the fragrance onto pressure points and dab. This is especially good for toilettes but can intensify a parfum if you love a stronger scent.
Koni
444 posts
Great tips Savanna! Does the 'dab don't rub' rule also apply to perfume oils? I like to use that on my wrists rather than perfume.

Pintsize why do you feel guilty if you spray more than twice? Nothing wrong with you enjoying them everyday :-)

Sarah it's just J'adore by Dior :-)
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm a firm believer Pintsize in using the things you love everyday! If they make you happy why not do that all the time!!! I think especially with perfume if the reason I'm keeping it is because I love the bottle then I can always keep the bottle once its finished. And if it is because I love the scent then I'm going to smell like that every single day.
Rezee
1964 posts
Pintsize, I used to save perfume for special occasions only but then I had a bottle tht went off and it made me realize how much money was wasted in not using it up so now I just enjoy perfume. You're worth more than that spray!
alikat
423 posts
I need to make more of an effort to wear my fragrances. I just this weekend finally threw out my empty 100ml Coco Madamoiselle bottle that I bought in March 2011. Yup. My husband has banned me from buying 100ml bottles of perfumes because they are likely to go off before I wear them. But let the record show, I finished the bottle. And I have a 50ml bottle of CM that he got me in duty free to start soon :)

That said, I keep mine in my wardrobe, so often overlook them, but they're in the dark. My husband goes through fragrance like there is no tomorrow. He stocked up last time his sister came over from the USA and keeps all of his in the deepest drawer in our scotch dresser. Its literally packed with perfumes and their matching deordorant sticks and various balms. I guess I have my blush and eyeshadow addiction and he has fragrance!
MissQT
1547 posts
Thanks for those great tips idomakeupnz. I always keep my perfumes away from direct sunlight in a cool place.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
That is interesting, I have quite a lot of perfume and don't wear it lately as I'm holding my bubs so much.  
It used to be an everyday routine to wear perfume.

idomakeupnz
150 posts
@Koni - I am not certain about oils but I would lightly pat them in instead of rubbing just to be on the safe side (:
tannygirl
3392 posts
Good pointers Savanna. I only have 30ml bottles as all my fullsized bottles of fragrance are name brand. But I do have the Limited edition EDT of Guess Dare. I prefer to buy smaller bottles and have more variety. I did start collecting a bunch of minis this year so that does add up.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
That's it Rezee, you're definitely worth more than those few perfume sprays! If you want to drown yourself in it, do it! :)

Kellyleanne, I recently heard someone mention they can only wear perfume on the backs of their knees now because they're always holding their baby, it never crossed my mind that you would need to be mindful of that! Makes sense though, you wouldn't really want them inhaling it, I'm guessing it can't be good for little lungs!

Tannygirl, I've only discovered in recent months that buying the bottle that gives you the most 'bang for your buck' aka the 100ml really isn't worth it when you love having multiple fragrances because it takes sooo long to finish anything, plus half the time I get sick of the scent halfway through. Definitely getting in to the habit of only buying 30ml bottles, or smaller travel sized versions, tis a much safer option for me!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Well my perfume collection is going to last me a little longer than i thought considering I just added to it. Went into farmers today and got a wee Black Opium gift set, with triple points I just couldn't resist
Jesse
745 posts
i'm currently too lazy to work out my fragrance maths but I don't see myself running out anytime soon. I have a few large perfumes and most are about half full. I just finished up my Viva la Juicy, Juicy Couture perfumes I go through quite fast, six months or so for a 50ml, as they often end up in my handbag which is harder to do with my Marc Jacobs fragrances.

Trudi I LOVE white musk libertine, I went through a couple of bottles before it was discontinued, can't believe you found some so cheap!
Macs
5351 posts
Oh you got that Black Opium Binary. That triple points was a good deal too. I really need to finish off what I've got. But if I did buy one, it would be that Katy Perry one.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Didn't you already own Black Opium, Binary? Stocking up were we? The Farmers xmas perfume sets are SO CUTE! Ugh. I keep ogling them every time I go in there, pretty sure the staff think I'm a shoplifter at this point coz I hang around like a bad smell but don't buy any! There's a Taylor Swift Wonderstruck one, the scent of which I'm not a huge fan, but the teeny tiny bottle in the set is nearly enough to make me want to buy it!

Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Haha you have such a good memory Sarah! Yes I already have it, but it was running low so I left it in Aussie with my sister who loved the smell to. So ofcourse, I had to buy a new one! I wanted flora gucci too.. but that can wait for another day
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have too many 1/2 filled bottles and a couple unopened ones, I don't think I am running out in a hurry.
trudijoy
8375 posts
jesse the body shop in Japan is cheaper anyway and this was an outlet store a couple years ago, but yeah. I got cherry blossom body mist for a few bucks and chocomania and pink grapefruit lotion minis for less than $2 kiwi, among other things. Was literally maxing out my weight limit with body shop lol
I'm terrible with this. I got 7 1/2 years... Whoops. I went by 5 sprays but I actually have perfumes I wouldn't dare spray more than thrice and both are 100mls so about 9 years is more realistic. I left out all my minis, micros, dab ons and roll ons. That's another can of worms.

I should just stop. Or sell several bottles.
chikoboo
3402 posts
What a cool thread, I've worked out that I have 7.9 years left in my collection! hmm wonder why I buy a new perfume every 6-8 weeks then lol.  The struggle of a beauty hoarder, but I do ensure that they stay in a dry, cool and shaded area of my room so that they don't spoil. 
Macs
5351 posts
My calculations was so wrong..I think I've got at least 3 years worth of perfume left.Forgot to factor in my new Vera Wang set.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Haha Macs, it's easy to forget what you've got! (totally just had a Crowded House moment, my brain replaced 'got' with 'learned' and now it won't stop singing)

Chikoboo, you buy them on the regular because they allll smell soo good, it makes it too hard to choose! Or at least that's my reasoning :P

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!