Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

So many Nail polishes!!

50 posts, 18 members
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Thanks to the Nail BEBB, I now have been reminded of the copious nail polishes I have on the go, not to mention the mass number of Jamberry wraps!
I really would like to deplete these numbers & just be left with my favourites.

So, I am going to start to make a conservative effort to deplete my stock, but first perhaps I should do a nail polish challenge - and post a pic of each colour (like the lip challenge), probably every couple of days - afterall if I like the colour it will be good to check it's wearability as well.

Anyone want to join me?
First Lady
957 posts
Fabulous idea!

We'll throw in some points for our fave mani of the week and for those who finish the challenge 

<3

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I will join! I don't have many about 13 and a few jamberry wraps so will get onboard with those. Awesome idea x
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Thanks First Lady! First colour up for me.

Also good to see even the crew are susceptible to the repeat post curse - lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
In, but it's a shame that I've already used up some good ideas and pics before we start argh
Macs
5351 posts
Thata a cool idea. I definitely want to take part in it. I haven'tworn nail polish for a long time too.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'd love to take part in this but will refrain, as I feel I'd have an unfair advantage.  I also have to wear gel polish (because of my job) and I only change it every 2-3 weeks.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
For those ladies who will be taking part in this challenge and want some inspiration, my Pinterest account is full of nail polish & nail art ideas, all categorised into different styles (eg: colour combos, polka dots, stripes, floral, animals, holidays, etc), please feel free to browse through it, the link is in my BR profile. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I like this challenge! I only have a few as well :D is it just regular painting or can we shake it up with some designs? If so I can already post one :D 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'm not to good with the fancy stuff so I will just stick with the shades in my collection lol Can't wait to see what everyone does!
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I dont know, mostly I wanted to number how many i have & have a good reason to test them out - some have been on the shelf for too many years I am sure.
I think if you mix it up & use more than one shade you count the shades -  I dont want to put rules on the challenge, but am interested to see how many bottles, or covers we own & how they look, rather than how many different designs people can make - although that could also make a cool challenge... take 3 colours & go! (for example)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahah okay just straight polish it is then, I like that. Thanks for thinking of this challenge Karen!! <3 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Ladies, please bear in mind that nail polishes expire the same way as make-up and other cosmetics do.  Nail polishes are generally good for about two years, so this challenge may be a good time to "spring clean" your nail polish collections and check those expiry symbols on the bottles (or toss out ones you've had for years).

If the bottles are unopened, they can last indefinitely, but they do expire once they've been opened (even if it's only been used once).
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Ooo now this is a challenge I could do! I've not been doing any nail art lately, just a plain ol colour, so this works perfectly! Great idea :)
MareeB
5241 posts
Good idea Karen. I won't take part, but I'll enjoy watching the photos on the wall :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I am moving in two weeks so I am going through all my makeup and trying to destash (which isn't going well). Need to do it with my nail polishes too so it is perfect timing for this challenge.
MissQT
1547 posts
great challenge, I'll take part. I usually only wear nail polish one week on then one week off to give my nails a break, so I'll try and wear it more often. I think I'll have to wear a few colours at a time too sometimes as I have quite a few polishes to get through. Look forward to seeing everyone's pictures :)
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Silvene - what happens if you keep using old nail polish? If the consistency is ok, it dries ok and seems like you just bought it, and you don't have any nicks on your fingers for bacteria to be a problem... Is it really an issue?
I have a hard time throwing things away that seem perfectly fine to me. I can't believe I'm struggling to throw away crackle polish!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Qweenkaren, just keep an eye on them. Like most cosmetics, the expiry date is just a guideline.  Older polishes will start to separate, may become thicker or gloopy and won't dry properly so they will chip, crack or peel off a lot faster and the colour might also start to change.  As you say, if you don't have any cuts or wounds around your nails, you can continue to use them but if they start to smell funny, separate or go thick and gloopy, it's best to just toss them (or try using them for craft projects, like the water-marbled mugs). 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
MissQT, there is no reason to give your nails a rest from wearing nail polish.  It's a common myth that our nails need to "breathe".  Our nails are made up of dead cells (just like hair) and don't breathe at all.  Cuticle oil or cuticle balm applied to your nails and skin around your nails on a daily basis will help to improve the condition of your nails by hydrating them, even when you are wearing nail polish.  Applying cuticle oil or cuticle balm to nails with nail polish on will help to keep your polish flexible and prevent it from becoming brittle, which means your polish should last a little longer on your nails.  It will also help to keep your nails flexible, reducing the chance of splits and breakages.  :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
ick, trying to upload a photo and i keep getting an error message saying that the file name i submitted 'already exists on the server' with pics i've only just taken.... anyone ever struck this before?
trudijoy
8375 posts
got a pic up finally :/

I don't know how good i'm going to be at restricting myself to one colour, haha. Expect feature nails :p
MissQT
1547 posts
thanks silvene! I do use cuticle oil do will sure to use it more often 
Macs
5351 posts
Yes everytime I upload from my phone I get that message saying that. So I go on my lap top and it always goes through. I just have to resize it. I haven't done my nails in a while too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
weird Macs - i always upload from my phone and it's never been an issue before. I had to email the pic and open it from my laptop then change the format - usually it just goes straight through. Kinda annoying :/
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have already cleared out my nail polishes last year to only have 12 which I love. So I won't be participating. But I can't wait to see what shades everyone has!
Kimrose
1416 posts
Omygosh! I have just cleaned out my nail polishes and still have a drawer full!!  I sold some in a garage sale today, happy about that but still have so many that I love and can't bear to let go.  I love the idea of a challenge Karen, I dont do anything fancy with my nails, just colour.  I usually have painted nails, and also, I have never used up a bottle of nail polish!
MrsRosie
214 posts
I love the idea of this challange, cant wait to see all the colours on the wall! I constantly wear nail polish because my nails get a funny feeling on them when I dont (weird I know) and are far more prone to breaking. I have noticed my nail polish stash is getting a bit old and most are getting gluggy which is making application not so easy, so might be time to invest in some more so I can partake in this :)
2lilmnkys
106 posts
This sounds like a fun challenge. I do have a few nailpolishes but I can't take part in this as much as I want to. Its not allowed at work so I will be removing it off every night which is not convenient.

Looking forward to seeing everyones collection.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks for that note Silvene, I've sat and parted with 14 old, past their best polishes - most of which i can't remember the last time I wore them. That's pared the collection down nicely! I have my next shade all lined up, just wish the upload-pic-to-wall function was still working like it used to!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I don't have my glasses and I suck doing a good neat mani but maybe once I have my glasses back from Specsavers this might be a fun challenge. I do have quite a few old polishes which are probably best tossed out.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Cool idea! I am trying to use some of mine up in preparation for moving so will make more of an effort! Tonight may be mani night :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
What rubbish bin do you put the nail polish into? I want to throw mine out but "recycle" them, which I assume you can, they're glass? halp
MissQT
1547 posts
I put it in the normal rubbish bin. I think if you wanted to put it in the recycling you would need to clean the polish out if it (which I couldn't be bothered doing).
trudijoy
8375 posts
just referring to Nat's post....

there are some awesome colours/manis appearing on the wall; wondering if you are still intending to award points and if you are, which pics got them? Pure voyeuristic nosiness haha.

Also am finding it very hard to resist buying half the polishes on the wall.... mostly Shaz's. Girrrrrrl you got QUITE the collection there!
shazatron101
5112 posts
aw fanks :-B I have 4? left to use hahahaha so not a huge collection but they're colors I like :D 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i threw a bunch of mine out so i should probs do a wee audit and see how many I have left to go - not that many i don't think!
Rezee
1964 posts
Such a good idea. In all my years of wearing nail polish, I don't think I've ever used one up before. I have on maybelline one that is still going strong that I've had since before I had kids (my eldest recently turned 10 lol). I haven't worn polish for so long too, I need to get back into it.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
It's awesome seeing all the different polishes, I'm down to my latest aquisitions, (from the Nail box & gifts) and then I will move to my Gel polishes, then there might be the Jamberry nail covers.
Once done I plan to choose just a couple to wear until they run out.
I hope that through this challenge I am also getting better at applying them!

I was soooo very tempted to buy a couple more polishes the other day - I spied the LA Colours Gel... it was only this challenge that stopped me.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i've got a few more pairings to get through, looking at the collection. Side note: i don't think i'm cheating by wearing more than one colour at once... i rarely wear block colours so..... yeah
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I dont think you are cheating either. I am very unlikely to wear white on its own. At least now having done this challenge I can gift one of my whites away :)
today I am looking at these white tips and can not believe I freehanded them - in my 20's I would have died for that skill and bought stupid stick on things which would either peel off half the polish or not stick properly & the white would get under them - arrgg (lesson learnt).

trudijoy
8375 posts
haha i feel like that about the gold tips in my current set.

interestingly my 16 year old cousin is adamantly insisting that i have 'killer nail inspo' going on when really i'm just throwing things at my hands over a glass of wine and telly, or in a quiet moment at work...perception is an interesting beast!

Glad you don't think i'm cheating either haha x
shazatron101
5112 posts
I've reached the end of my collection! I've thrown out 2 and I'm gifting 5, so I'm pretty pleased with that :-) Thanks for the challenge Karen I enjoyed it :-D
trudijoy
8375 posts
nice Shaz! i've got maybe a week left.

Have just had to throw out my fave polish (drained it onto a bit of tinfoil so i could use it one last time haha!) - I got it in Japan and can't replace it :(
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Thanks for being a great participant Shaza. I've enjoyed seeing your collection. I too have made a few chuck outs and gifted lots to my daughter. Still have 1 more 'normal polish' 3 gel polishes which don't require a lamp, not sure yet how many gel polishes which need a lamp. Not sure I can really count the top coats or nail strengtheners I have 2 different ones, but 3 of one kind. Oh and there is a nail art gold thing in my drawer at work. I am trying to get a grip on my problem.
MissQT
1547 posts
well done Shaz! I've loved seeing all your lovely nails :) I need to change my colours more frequently to get through more of my collection.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm finished! threw out a few, rediscovered a pile, and stupidly finished on something i don't love that isn't very exciting.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Thanks Trudijoy for being such an active participant, it can be hard getting the balance of wanting to put up another polish and letting it wear for a few days.
How do you store them? After a BR article, I repurposed a spice rack & store mine there. There is a pic from ages ago, prob easier to find from my profile page.
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i got over it about ten looks ago so just started smashing them out haha. Good to have gone through everything and know what's what though!

Mine are in a cute wee woven box that keeps them in check - if the box overflows, out go the ones i'm not adoring.

I'm going to probably set some i don't love aside to take down for my friend and her teen to sift through so am expecting that the 44 will come down even further.
MissQT
1547 posts
Congrats on finishing Trudi! I've loved seeing your nail looks.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!