Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

OPI Gel Colour Manicures ... any better than Shellac?

8 posts, 8 members
nic111
1 posts
Im sure some of you have had an OPI Gel Colour Manicure ... what are your thoughts? are they better for your nails than Shellac? 

If so, can you recommend a salon in Auckland that does them for a reasonable price? 

Would love to hear your thoughts! 
BarbaraMay
131 posts
 Hey,  I don't know how they compare to Shellac manicures,

But (I'm a shocking online shopper btw) I've seen the OPI gel manicures on GrabOne quite a few times in the last couple of months, they were around $20 - $25.  So I'd keep my eye on there, and maybe Treat Me.  That way you could try it without paying full whack!

Emsky
19 posts
You could also check out http://www.flossie.com/ for an appointment - it's how I get all of my beauty appointments now. They have quite a few salons offering the Gel Manicures, just flick through them and figure out what ones are OPI.

Aslo good as the salons are all tested and constantly reviewed by members, like BR but for services! I swear by it!
pingalulu
26 posts
:) 'gelish' nails (same deal as shellac) is alsoa fab brand,huge selection of colours, from working with shellac I find it does not soak off as easily, and clients always come to me moaning that its damaged their natural nails. ACETONE is used to soak off gel nails, dont pick them off or anything...or dont let people drill it off...acetone is the key. Gel nails are great for a one off occasion...however it is important to soak them off even if you plan on having them done only once. Lasting damage can be caused....french is awesome as itlasts for weeks..looks natural and stays shiny! Also the growth line isn't as obvious as it would be if you picked a full blown colour. regular gel manicures help strengthen and promote growth of your natural nail. Also theyre instantly dry so no akward fumbling and smudging getting your car keys or whatever :)....

Hope you get some fab nails <3 xoxo

MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I had an OPI Gel Colour manicure and found that it really stuffed my nails after removal. Made them super weak, bendy, peeling etc. My Mum had it done at the same time and the same thing happened to her nails too - we weren't very impressed :-(
Diff74
61 posts
Was thinking about having a manicure using the Shellac polish before I go on my next holiday.  However I think I'm sceond guessing myself now after reading about how they come off, and leaving natural nails abit worse for wear. Might just get a nice polish with a feature nail I think.
lenarose
313 posts
I had shellac and it was great - lasted 3 weeks, and I only got it removed because it had grown out so much. The removal didn't leave my nails damaged at all, still totally healthy.
Lenore
6 posts
My advice would be to have it done at an independent or professional salon by a qualified technician. I had a shellac polish done at a Professionnail and they basically drilled it and a layer or two of my nail off when removing it - horrendous. There are products available that soak the colour off - gelish has it's own one and I think OPI recommends their Expert Touch Lacquer Remover for it. Ask your technician about removal before you get the application done. Places that rely on repeat customers and value the customer relationship won't let you go away with less healthy nails than you arrive with! 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!