Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Nail Colors that Look Better on Short Nails Than They do on Longer Nails.

22 posts, 20 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Over a week ago I received a surpise in the mail from Chikoboo. And amongst the beauty items she generously gifted me was a bottle of Chi Chi's Salon Formula nail polish in the shade Boys Boys Boys. It's a light sky blue sort of shade. I painted my nails last night and I think that shade of blue really suits short nails, in fact it looks better on short nails than on longer nails.
   When I say short nails I mean it would be a good nail length for guys or it's just a few milimeters longer than that. So that got me thinking what other shades or nail polish colors have you found looked better on short nails as opposed to longer nails? I like having long nails but unfortunately sometimes my nails go through stages where they peel and chip and so I have to cut them short and that's when having some nail colors that look especially good on short nails would be ideal and can turn a disappointing nail length into something pretty and feminine or girly again. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. :-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Argghh! My nails are the same, they love chipping and peeling, even though I file them on a weekly basis and give them all the love and care they need. Drives me insane!! My nails are "long". I say that cos I have a long nail bed, but short tips. Does that even make sense? But when my nails break right at the ouchy bit (great terminology) I tend to use lighter and bright colors. I have a short nail right now due to peeling and a breakage and I have a fushia kinda color on it and I barely even notice the difference in length. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I adore OPI Lincoln Park After Dark on my nails when they are short but as soon as they grow past the ends if my fingers I find it too much. This is a polish that is so dark purple that it verges on black until you move your hands
chikoboo
3402 posts
I go through spells of having my natural nails which are short and don't grow to a good length before they split and break, even when using strengthens *grrrrr its a bug bear of mine* and then I go through spell of putting on my acrylics which gives me the length I crave.  Anyway I find that many shades work best on both long and short, its how you do them, for instance on short nails I'll paint them any shade that takes my fancy but I get a gold, or silver, or even a glitter on one nail on each hand.  Even done black nails with a accent nail of neon works well.  Long nails the same applies, but you can also do tips on longer nails, french manicure, reverse french, erc. 
Rezee
1964 posts
I saw the pic on fb, you're right, your nails look really good with that colour!
I think short nails look really good with really out there colours, like super dark or super bright neon shades.
Jesse
745 posts
I'm only allowed short nails now for work but have previously had longer ones. For me I find darker shades all seem to look much nicer on my nails when they're short personally, more polished.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I really like plain colours when I am rocking shorter nails. By that I mean no duochromes, or glitters, or sheens, just a colour. However that isn't a hard and fast rule, there is always an exception!
I competely agree with the straight colour comment. I feel that I naturally head towards plainer colours ( no glitters or shimmers) when my nails becomr short, but will wear alot of shimmery nail polish when they are longer. I think that it is nice to keep it basic woth shirt nails.
Jennwgtn
26 posts
 Personally, I really like bright colours on short nails- tangerine, blues, darks ( I adore Lincoln Park After Dark too!) and agree that some of these colours become over bearing when your nails gets too long. On the other hand, I find nail art on short nails is tricky and you need to be really careful not to end up with over crowding. I like to paint my nails all one colour - at the moment they are all OPI Jinxie - and then paint the ring fingers on each hand another colour or use a nail transfer. 
hughes_dre
229 posts
My nails tend to get quite brittle the longer I have them so I do tend to keep them short anyway.  I find any colour suits mine, but I do prefer pastel blue, pink, purples or completely stark white or black look really classy.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
My nails are always short as they are constantly breaking or flaking despite looking after them. Personally I say wear whatever shades you like! I love dark shades and red on myself but I think short nails can rock any and all shades. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I find red looks best on short nails. Too long and they can look a bit OTT.
kirstysays
762 posts
I think pastel shades look best on shorter nails :)
kirstysays
762 posts
Sorry for some reason it posted numerous times :/
kirstysays
762 posts
Macs
5351 posts
I love doing my nails. I think they give a girl that extra touch to your look when your going out.  I love bright colours are fresh. Dark colours are bold. I love pastels as well. I recently tried glitter tips with a pastel pink. I love experimenting. Such a great thing to see someone gifting their products. 
melly650
375 posts
Black! I can never for the life of me wear black polish on long nails. It also looks extremely sophisticated and sleek when you do one nail in a nude colour when the rest are black, and maybe do some gold art/beads on the nude nail. I find that reds and browns look way better on longer nails, but in the end I think it's up to the individual person to decide what they suit.
tabykitten
186 posts
I love the way darker colours look on shorter nails - like a really dark red verging on black, or a black... it just looks so cool and dramatic! Not the same on longer nails.
Mila
1209 posts
I think you can pretty much wear any colour on either long or short nails but I do think short clean nails can pull off the darker vampier colours are bit easier :)
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Gah my nails are basically always short. I've found that nude colors look really good on my nails and sparkly ones don't tend to work as much. Just play around I guess, your complexion probably plays a part in it too.
notjaya
62 posts
Yes, nude colors.

I've found that shaping them square helps with the appearance of the nails being longer. With that, you can wear just about any color.
MillXhodia
136 posts
i can grow my nails nice and long(super strong lucky me) but i tend to keep them short as i type all do long so its just easier. I recently bought the red from the OPI fifty shades of grey range, its called romantically involved and its so awesome! I dont usually do reds but have fallen in love with this one, just re-doing them right this minute haha

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!