Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Lipstick halp?

24 posts, 11 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ladies, tell me your favorite brands!

I am after a red and some nudey pinks (think doll parts by JS, or faded by lime crime (the only 2 i own that i can think of)

the last time i got JS however the formula was way too thin and smelled like cat wee - if its still thin please let me know!

Otherwise hit me with some brands to check out, wanna treat myself! Thank you!!
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I haven't actually thought about my fave brand currently but I thought I should mention that Sephora is having a mid year sale there's quite a few high brands to cheaper brands on sale. There seems to be a fair bit in the under 20 dollar range to their lipstories lipsticks being 6 bucks, I do remember they had some lovely pinks more nude shades in that range. I currently own Spring Break (because I'm into corally pinks atm) from that line and it's pretty good.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Thanks tanny, unfortunately i dont like any of the brands they have on offer enough to deal with sephora again, so thats a no go lol
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I’m loving the Mellow and Karen Murrell lipsticks that I have at the moment.  I’m also a fan of Revlon’s balm stains, the ones that look like giant crayons, as the colour lasts all day even if the balm wears off. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the JS ones. HATE.

My faves atm are:

- Mellow Lip Paint
- Urban decay Vice liquid
- Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lip
- Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha twooodi i liked them until i got the cat wee one! I still use doll parts though but it definitely needs to be binned!
funnily enough i dislike the KVD ones hahhahahahahaha
I will look into the maybelline ones though - what's the formula like?

Oooh silvene i do like the sticks! Bonus that its a tint not a full on lipstick as well *heart eyes*

trudijoy
8375 posts
reasonably thin, dries to a soft matte, wears wellm applicator is great.

I like Lime Crime velvetines as well even though I was sworn to hate them lol.

I found the JS so thin that it went everywhere and didn't last well, threw mine out in disgust in the end
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ooh they sound nice, ill definitely hunt some down to try then!

sworn to hate them!? I ddnt mind them either but ill look for a in between seller, i dont trust their website hahahaha
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah idk i'd heard such awful things that i didn't wanna like them.  Then I found them in Nordstrom Rack for about $6 USD and decided to try one, now i wish i'd gotten them all 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
So many. For selection Urban Decay and MAC. For natural products Karen Murrell. For super affordable Rimmel or Australis.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    For liquid lipsticks I like Mellow for a non drying formula that doesn't get on random things, reasonably affordable too and on currently on sale at Farmers. For something that is transferproof I would say Lime Crime, if you don't want to purchase from the Lime Crime site due to issues years ago with hacking, Cultbeauty sells them. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
     Oooh I just remembered National Lipstick Day is next month so there'll probably be some lippy specials going on. If you don't mind waiting, I can't wait to see what the deal will be with Mac this year. Last year I got See Sheer as a gwp lippy and I really love the coral shade on me. For range in color and finishes I think Mac has it all. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm not very helpful with this one Shan, I struggle to find a lipstick that I love but yet to find one. I usually wear lipgloss or lipbalm. When I do attempt to wear lipstick I feel stupid and wipe it off it again. 

Watching this thread closely though for recommendations he he he.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Mellow Liquid Lip Paint is my all time favourite.Has the best formula, creamy, and non drying, dries down matte. I need to get a new one soon but it's only something id buy as a treat.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Naw Sarah youre such a honey ! You look gorgeous with or without x 

So many new options to choose from :-D i love it. thanks ladies :-) i appreciate your help!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i didn't wear lipstick at all until I was maybe 32.  HATED IT on my face.

Now i'm all about the bold colours!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Awww thanks Shan xxx

If I do wear lipstick it is usually a nude or a very subtle pink/purple. I want to be adventurous especially as I bought a JS shimmering bright pink lippy awhile back. Just havent managed to put on my big girl panties and wear it lol. It's so beautiful though lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ooh lala put a pic on the photowall! Id love to see it !!
EliseMM
120 posts
I recently purchased 'Bridezilla' from the Too Faced Peaches and Cream range. I've had loads of compliments on it! A perfect matte nudey pink, IMO
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I, for one, am very glad that lip gloss is finally making a comeback! I’ve yet to find a liquid matte lipstick that I really like. They’re just not for me. Although I have had a couple of mini Stila ones as freebies from Mecca recently that werent so bad - pretty much transfer proof as soon as they dry and not too drying to wear. 

Actually, thanks to Mecca it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a lipstick at all. I’ve always found Maybelline ones good though and you can pick them up at discount stores for next to nothing.  I might have to get one of the new Stila lip glosses though. There’s a fuscia one that looks amazing and they’re only about $26. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I agree. I love lip gloss.
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, 

I have Jefree and Kat Von D . Both over hyped . Yeah I was a sucker and had to try them out lol . 

I always reach for Lime Crime Buffy , Gerrad 1995, Colorpop Ultra Satin 951 (crying cause it was my perfect nude all gone) . Dose of Colors My perfect Bright Red .Curious about Mac Velvet Teddy and Mac Twigg both in the nude family for years now both on my wishlist. Tried NYX Lingerie was ok but not great. My girl friend asked me if I had a gloss . I was so shocked I don’t own gloss. Maybe an excuse to buy in my next shop lol 

tannygirl
3392 posts
    Mac Twigg was once my fave to go lipstick. I would've been happy to have all my other lippies in deluxe mini sizes but would've got for Mac Twigg in a full size. Still is one of my faves. It's a nice neutral muted browny pink on me. These days I'm more into pink. Velvet Teddy is more brown, it looks pinkier on some people but on me it's like a neutral tan color. I bought it because I heard it was super popular but not into the color on me. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
mmm ill leave you ladies on the lipgloss train alone - i am haunted by memories of sickly sweet smelling sticky messes! and it getting allll up in my hair. i'm sure they're not nearly half as bad anymore but they are definitely not for me!

i still haven't purchased any new ones but i have gone on the hunt and found some great contenders you ladies suggested, so thank you!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!