Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Lippy virgin!

13 posts, 11 members
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
Hey Ladies,

I'm not all In the know about which lip product Is best etc.. I know I like matte lippies and nothing too glossy...

What's the best brand In your opinion and has the longest wear??

Aaaand Is It best to wear a lip primer?? xx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
ChiChi is one of my go to lipstick brands, they have a great colour range and are creamy while being relatively matte. Revlon's ColourStay is also pretty good for a long lasting lipstick. And MAC is usually pretty good across ranges, although I think they have a longlasting range as well.

Liquid lipsticks probably have the potential to last the longest, but I haven't tried a lot of them because the Maybelline one I brought because put me off them. But if you find one that works for you they can last really well.

Not sure if a lip primer does much as it's still on my to try list.
MrsRosie
214 posts
Im really enjoying my Mellow Cosmetics liquid lip paint I got in the last vault. It lasts the best of any lippy Ive used. I like it so much Im saving up to place an order for some other colours!

I sometimes use lip liners but have never bothered with lip primers. As long as your lips are free from any dryness - especially with matte lippies - you should be fine :)

tannygirl
3392 posts
   If you're after a matte finish and the longest wear I would recommend liquid lipsticks. So far the longest wearing liquid lipstick I have come across is Lime Crime but then I only have two brands of liquid lipstick atm. Oh I do have Younique's Lipstain in Sultry and it's really comfortable and is the longest wearing lip product I own and feels like water on my lips when I apply it plus it's completely transferproof. As far regular lipstick goes I get about three to four of wear from my Chi Chi Lady Bump if I don't eat but my lips feel really dry and it a matte lippy from their range. Mac I get about four hours out of Velvet Teddy which is a matte lipstick. Karen Murrell I get about four hours out of Racy Rata, it does feel more comfortable on my lips as well. Actually most of my lipsticks I get about four hours of wear. I guess because after four hours my lipstick starts to fade and I also need to eat. I looked through my collection and I don't own hardly any really cheap brands. One note worthy brand in my collection is Bobbi Brown it's my most expensive lippy but I can definitely feel the quality, very comfortable and long lasting, unfortunately I can't really afford to buy a lot of those. But if you can afford it and find a shade you'll wear all the time it's worth the splurge.
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
I have real dry lips so It's abit of a pain, I only own like two lip colours lol Thanks for your recommendations ladies, really helps!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lip primers aren't too bad but in my experience they're a little drying - try a simple hydrating balm underneath instead maybe :) I use Mac Prep and Prime, or the Australis Mattifying Lip primer, which is probably why, though. I do have a Blistex dual ended hydration stick I use under matte lippy when my lips are dry. Also invest in a good lip scrub if you're going matte; I love the Lush one, and the e.l.f one is good too

I'm a HUGE fan of Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lip, available on Sephora. I've found that they have the best formula and last the longest of any I've tried. I know a lot of people love Jeffree Star; I find them too thin to be easy. Australis Velourlips, worn thinly, are nice too - they do kits of minis which would be perfect to try out!

NZ company Ro Vie/ Banshee cosmetics (same lady, different companies) do samples of their lipsticks for $1 each which is a great way to play and find out what suits you.

I still love the formula of MAC lipsticks, and have also been impressed with the Lime Crime ones, and the cheap and cheerful Jordana range.

In Jan 2015 I decided to start trying lipstick as I'd never really worn it before, and now I'm obsessed.... beware, it'll probably happen to you too :p
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I always use a lip primer I don't know how effective it is but I know it helps my lips due to them being dry and cracked, it helps the lipsticks go on smoothly.

My fave matte liquid lip is my makeup revolution shade I own. My favorite lipsticks are my Mac lippies.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
If you like matte lips try using just lip liner - lots of brands make great lip liners that are cheap
Macs
5351 posts
For lipsticks I really enjoyed Nyx Butter lipsticks super creamy consistency. For matte lipsticks I liked Wet n Wild and Mac. For liquid lipsticks my ultimate favourite was Dose of Colours Liquid matte and Colorpop. Still want to try Jefree Star as its top rated. I hope you find something you like.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Great thread for me. I don't own many lipstick too so I am not right person for that. But I like Mac lipsticks and I am using daily. I try Nyx and Australis liquid lipsticks but I didn't like it. In liquid lipstick I am still looking good one.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
On the lipsticks you can test instore, if you find a colour doesn't seem to sparkly that you like swipe it on the hand and and pop outside to double check it isn't too shiny for you.
Depending on your budget you could look at MAC and Clinque at the higher end. Clinique does a soft matte which is non drying in normal lipstick tube, Matte beauty is a nearly perfect nude for me. MAC does several levels in tube including matte, I have used an amplified creme, not matte but not shiny either, MAC makes it easy and lables the type of finish - amplified creme, cremesheen, frost, lustre, matte or satin. Smashbox also has matte lipsticks in normal tube, I haven't tried theirs yet.
A nude lipliner is a good way to assist with holding the lippy on the lips but depending on what you are eating or drinking that would also affect this.
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
I just brought me a mellow lip paint In the shade New York, I'm excited to give It a whirl! I have a feeling that I'm going to become addicted to anything lips hehe thanks for the advice ladies :)
I usually exfoliate my lips and apply lip balm before starting my make up when I wear matte lip products which I find helps their longevity! I also use a lip primer which I find helps. I love the mac matte lipsticks, as I find they last me all day, even when eating and drinking. I also like the colourpop liquid lipsticks (they have ultra matte and ultra satin), they are quite cheap, especially when they have free international shipping! They also last me quite a long time :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!