Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What The Heart Wants vs What You Actually Need

17 posts, 12 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
This is me whenever I see some really pretty eyeshadow palettes:

Heart: (Heart eyes) I NEEED that!

Head: No you don't! You know how long it'll take you to pan through what you already have and really love beside you already probably have those shades in another palette which isn't getting much attention. 

Heart: But, but...

Head: Oh look there's something we neeed new socks! 

Heart: Don't want socks! I'm fine with the holes in my current ones no sees them anyways. 

Head: Well if you want to buy more makeup then look at foundations, concealor oh look a brush tree....you don't have one of those.

Heart: Pftttt. I still NEED that pretty palette. 

What things are really fun for you to buy that you probably don't need? For me it's eyeshadow palettes, something about the packaging and variety of shades and lipsticks.... alright most makeup that comes in pretty packaging and has colors I like. I do also enjoy buying skincare especially serums and masks, though I am going through my stash and trying to use some up before buying tons more, that being said I do go through serums and spf moisturizers faster than most people probably.

What I do probably need to buy that isn't as alluring well things like socks, undies, clothes to some extent. It's ridiculous how I don't mind spending big bucks on skincare and makeup like $50 or more for a palette I probably won't use as much as I'm thinking I will at the time I buy it but I can't justify spending that much on jeans that I'll probably wear every week. So besides being a miser when it comes to clothing and shoes I also don't like the frustration of when I can't find clothes that look good and fit and fit within my miserly budget for clothes. Other non fun staples to purchase that I know I'll use everyday - deoderant, dental floss, soap, plain body moisturizers, the same default handcream that I know really works for me. I used to think shopping was always going to be thrillingly fun when I was younger till I grew up, got money and had to buy basics and then some of that joy disappeared. 

So what's your list of what your heart wants vs what you actually need?
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I know exactly what you say and mine would be eyeshadow palettes either thru the hype of it or as you say the way they look.
Macs
5351 posts
Yes I'm getting distracted by all the pretty make up ( but haven't caved in) I'm trying to pan at least two bags full of empties first. But I'm going to try focus on what I need which is running clothes. Because old t shirt and shorts aren't light weight feels like I'm being weighed down. A 2 litre water bottle because my old drink fizzy drink bottle is haddit lol Some running shoes further down the track. 
Oh man I hear you!  Lipsticks are my current makeup weakness.  A girl can never have too many lipsticks, right???
swamphen
73 posts
My weakness is contouring and concealer.... and I'd choose thsee two over shoes. It means it's serious!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
In makeup mine is lipstick. The bolder and more different the better. It just has to me matte finish. Although lately eyeshadow palettes have grabbed my attention too. Mostly Kat von palettes which spans from shaz buying my first and second.
Not beauty related lately is black clothes and Gothic boots. They make my heart happy but not so much my bank oops.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Macs, you can always comprimise on the size of the bags. :-p I do need to probably get some new running shoes because the soles are rather worn on my current ones. I do want to get some of those tone walkers I used to have for walking around town, you know multitasking but I haven't seen them anywhere since I bought them like over five years ago at the Warehouse.

Shana, I totally agree with you the Kat Von D stuff. I would highly recommend the Shade and Light Eye Contour palette. To anyone really it's a great neutral matte palette, if you have alot shimmery and colorful shadows it's a great companion palette to the rest of your collection. There's currently a KVD gwp going on Sephora.nz so if you're looking into buying KVD stuff now might be a time when you can get a bit more bang for your buck.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
My outside of makeup weakness is handbags and shoes generally we have so many shoes in our house that we have a four tiered very wide very high she that has a basket in the bottom full of shoes plus shoes at each door which disturbs me but atm the builders are outfitted our double garage into two bedrooms so when that's done all shoes will return to their home the shelf is as high as the roof aswell plus I have shoes in my wordrobe too but I struggle to find the right shoes (that I like) daily so generally I ask my kids which shoes today lol.
Macs
5351 posts
I've still got blisters from running. Definately need proper trainers. I'm about to try bootcamp as well. I recon you should get some tannygirl. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Hmmm I am suffering this. After receiving my Natasha Denona 5 shade palette in my beautylish bag I have been obsessed. Before it was the BonBon palette that had my eye and I was prepared to stretch my budget to get it from Mecca. Natasha has ruined me and all I want is a big palette of hers and I don't care which one because they are all expensive. I can't justify US$168 or more for any of them and I should be using up my other shadow palettes before getting another.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Definitely sounds like me. My wallet trembles when I enter a make up section.
MareeB
5241 posts
I love handbags and shoes too Keri. Unforutnately I have odema and gout in one foot so I can't wear hard shoes. It's so frustrating with so many gorgeous ankle boots appearing all over the place! AND I saw some amazing pink ones this morning - in the window of a verrrrry expensive shop (which was luckily closed at the time). I'd have probably bought them on impulse but then wouldn't be able to wear them anyway :(
Imoshen
461 posts
For me it's skincare .... so hard to resist the marketing hype and then the reviews of all those ladies that love it.

Mantra:  If I'm not in love with it and don't neeeeeeed it, don't buy it.  

Macs:  go easy on boot camp!  I know a number of people that have done some serious injuries pushing themselves too hard.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Yeah, same here Imoshen. I loooove skincare but in our defense we do go through it much faster than makeup.
Macs
5351 posts
Imoshen I was going to up my boot camps to five days a week but instead I'm doing two days a week. My cousins running it. He's going away to Matatini. Now I need a replacement. I'm hoping to join Buttabeans workouts. Drag my sister along with me . I walk/run every morning.  I definately will take it easy. I have seen some bad injuries too.
g1ggles2
358 posts
It's lipsticks, alllllll wayyyys lipsticks
I have so many colours but yet I want more (and truth be told I often to stick to the same few anyway) I can't help looking whenever I go to any store that sells them, I even just mentally shop online
BUT
what I really need is more facial cleaners and scrubs...but I dont WANT them hahah

Such a head/heart problem
I actually got what I want (the brunch palette!) but what I actually need is new socks... Lots and lots of ankle socks.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!