Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Used to Certain Quality Standards in Makeup?

11 posts, 7 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Am I the only one who gets used to certain quality standards in makeup?

For example, since I got my Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour palette I haven't been reaching for the three staple eyeshadows that I used to use all the time and actually did hit pan on. I was using those for several years so I actually did hit pan. Beautiful neutral colors but, they just don't stay on as well as my Kat Von D ones and they aren't pigmented compared to the Shade and Light palette. I did go through my stuff and realized I need to use them but when the moment of truth comes and I need to get out the door, I'm like "Do I want to deal with my eyeshadow creasing and my eyeshadow not showing up on my eyelids? Nope, don't wanna deal with that drama today." and I end up pulling my Shade and Light Eye Contour palette out. Luckily the Kat Von D palette is big and has decent size plans so I can afford to stay used that level of quality for a looong time. 

Lipsticks I'm not as picky about but then I did make sure that when it came to the brighter and darker shades I spent a bit more to make sure they were longer lasting, because I knew no matter how pretty the darker or brighter colored shade if it doesn't last long on my lips it will get neglected in favour of other lippies that don't need as many touch ups. That being said when I am poor on time I reach for my Mac Twig or another nude or neutral shade or perhaps a mini lipstick.

Eyeliner, I will spend more on felt tip liquid liner because I need all the help I can get getting the wings even and I want it to last longer. That being said the most I have paid is around the $40 mark with my Eye of Horus liquid define. My eyeliner pencils, it's very, very important to me that they don't smudge and I have used brands that have been hard to pencil on or have smudged within an hour or so I splurged on Eye of Hourus which does have a more staying power than other brands I've used in the past. I plan to stay "spoiled" for the rest of my days with eyeliner than stays in place for as long as possible since my eye shape and oily lids make smudging inevitable after awhile. I have all their colorful pencils, plus the black, nude and white one. 

When it comes to face products I am a bit of a brand snob considering there's very few cheap items in my collection. I have brands like Bobbi Brown, Mac and Hourglass. Hourglass is my fave to go for face powders, blush, bronzer, highlight. Just because it applies well when I'm time poor and doesn't look make me look oily and highlight my pores. 

Mascara, I don't actually have much experience with mascara. But I do have the Eye of Horus one atm. 

So does anyone else get used to certain standards of quality after you've used certain brands that have raised the bar?
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've found that my expectations of how long make up lasts has definitely increased over time and I spend more on make up every year.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
No you're not the only one.  Part of it is value for money, if I am paying money I want things to work and work well. The other part is time, how many times do I need to reapply/blend this to have the look I want.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
For the longest time I thought it was normal for eyeshadow to be significantly lighter than it is in the pan. Then I tried higher end ones that were so buttery and pigmented it was like a whole new world!
trudijoy
8375 posts
im like that with literally everything. Because I work for a company with really strong customer service i get frustrated with anything sub par. Because I lived in Japan I have super high standards for Japanese food. etc

Re makeup, my main bugbear is flaky mascara and lotion that doesn't absorb well haha
Macs
5351 posts
Yeah I think I'm becoming picky now. Going for quality over quantity .
tannygirl
3392 posts
Years ago I used to buy makeup by the fistfulls. Picture a table full of eyeshadows, lip pencils, eyeliners and glosses for like a $1 each. That's where most of my personal money went to. A few years of that and I decided to up grade a bit and go for quality and so scaled down to a couple palettes and about five, six singles by a better brand sold at Boots. And for the next few years I didn't buy makeup. Then I discovered Beauty Review and I slowly started trying and buying more things. Then over the last two years my makeup collection has grown, I bought good quality higher end foundations, primers and palettes and eyeliner. And so it's hard to show the same love that I used to have for the makeup I once felt was a splurge.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Oh and perfume! That was a big thing too. When I bought my first high end frangrance, Yves and Rocher's Ming Shu, I was instantly over frangrances that smelt like alcohol ten minutes after application. When I finally understood the difference between an EDT and a EDP, I rarely bought any scent unless it was an EDP just because I got used to being able to smell my fragrance after a two hours. One big exception this is Gucci Flora EDT, the lasting power on that fragrance is amazing and it smells so gorgeous and light. 
    I've used YSL frangrances and oh, I understand why they cost an arm, leg and kidney. They have amazing lasting power!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm way more about the EDT/lighter perfumes, reapplied if necessary. It's interesting how many variants of preference there are for something like scent, eh
tannygirl
3392 posts
The thing is I tend to leave my perfumes at home, safe and sound rather than carry them with me. Although I do like fruity florals like DKNY is one of my favourites, Be Delicious Fresh Blossom is my signature scent, also love the green original one and the Pure Verbena. Vera Wang Bejeweled Original is another frangrance I like as Dior Miss Cherie. Ouch, that's one's expensive as well as YSL Black Opium. But yes some of these EDT like Marc Jacob's Dot smells so pretty and light but I don't like the lasting power of it, on me at least. But yep, it all comes down to personal preference.
MareeB
5241 posts
I never used to be too fussy because I didn't have the funds - not counting a love affair with Max Factor when I was young and worked in a pharmacy (and thought I could look like Jaclyn Smith if  used the products she was advertising). Since BR and BBBE I've gotten very much fussier. I've always loved perfumes and prefer EDP if I can. The fabulous and generous Kim has sent me some Giorgio after my Fishpond debacle left me Giorgio-less, so I'm totally fawning all over that at the moment - diviiiiiiine!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!