Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Makeup remover for very sensitive eyes

32 posts, 18 members
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Last night I had a horrible reaction to my balm cleanser. I work up in the night with swollen eyelids that were stuck together! Thanks to antihistamines, the swelling has gone down but my eyes are still very red. I think the culprit was the essential oils in the balm. 

Obviously I wont be using that balm again but I'm also thinking I should use a proper eye makeup remover first, so I'm not rubbing balm or oil into my eyes. Any suggestions? Non perfumed would be best and I'm not keen on micllar and I definitely don't do wipes.  
trudijoy
8375 posts
Holy crap! I swear by liquid oil cleanser - simple, MAC or the body shop- but I think you need to figure out what you reacted to. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
One of the essential oils listed in the ingredients is eucalyptus oil so I think it was that. I have a bottle of eucalyptus oil which makes my eyes stream just opening it, never mind putting it near my face. 

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I think I might be better off with something you apply with a cotton pad to your eyelids then wipe off, rather than anything that involves eye rubbing. 
MareeB
5242 posts
Eeee yes eucalyptus oil is pretty potent!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap. I've used the cleanser (a Korean one I got off iherb) for about a month. My eyes had felt a bit runny afterwards but last night? Big nope. 
siouxsannah
261 posts
Simple make a dedicated eye makeup remover which I have used. I also have sensitive eyes and it has worked out okay for me. It does not contain oil, perfume or colour. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I've used the Linden Leaves Eye Makeup Remover for years. I haven't ever had problems with it stinging my eyes but it is over 20 bucks. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
     If you are after something natural and less dear for the price there's the Tailor Oil Cleanser which is an oil cleanser but works well as an eye makeup remover. You get an 100ml bottle for under 40 bucks which if you were to use it just an eye make up remover it would last you many, many months.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ouch Soozie that sounds awful! I am not much help as i just use Micellar. I hope you find something that agrees with you :-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Lisa-Lou! It's a bit better today. Eyes aren't quite as red and they didn't hurt anymore. I did have to cancel my make application at Mecca today, which I booked weeks ago though. I'm also battling a really nasty virus so I don't even want to get out of bed today, never kind have my make up done or anything near my eyes!

I think a really basic dedicated eye makeup remover like the Simple one will be the way to go. There's also a neutrogena one in the reviews that sounds good. I don't want to use an all over oil cleanser on my eyes as I've had issues with one of these before (a very expensive one at that). Also I get filmy eyes from some of those too, even after double cleansing. Theres plenty of balm cleansers that I like, just don't want them near my eyes! 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ouch. I usually avoid my eyes with cleansers and just use water and a microfiber cloth but I can use my antipodes gel cleanser (juliet I think) and rosehip oil to clean eye make up.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I got three samples to try today of cleansers, and the body shop camomile eye makeup remover. Actually got ultra bland to try again, hated it last time but my skins changed. Also got the body shop camomile oil, which I’ve used and loved, and the camomile butter so I can compare the two
Sophia
203 posts
Hello! My eyes are very fussy indeed. I have good success with plain jojoba oil, and the Maybelline eye and lip makeup remover. The latter has recently been added to the things we can review so ive put my 6c worth there.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Sophia. That sounds like another good option. 

I think its probably time for me to go back to Ultrabland for my balm cleanser. It's my HG but I haven't used it for a long time as I've been trying out all the new balms that have come out in recent years. 
ree_nz
247 posts
The Trilogy Make-Up Be Gone balm works for my somewhat temperamental skin as well as the Simple Kind To Eyes eye makeup remover (its more of an oil based one). These see less rubbing and scrubbing to remove my makeup and I haven't had a reaction to either. The Trilogy one even got off fake eyelashes for a wedding without scrubbing or pulling them off (it almost just melted the glue off) in which the glue had made my eyes super blurry! Maybe try those - sensitive skin is so difficult as what works for one can often irritate another! Good luck!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Ree. It's my eyes that are sensitive, not my skin. I can chuck anything at my skin, apart from SLS. 
Sophia
203 posts
Also, i find that there's less rubbing needed if the cotton pad is well soaked in cleaning product and then I gently press it on my eye for a few seconds - both for the Maybelline and jojoba. If I'm careful to keep my eye very closed with the oil I can usually avoid film eye but invariably I get some in there haha

All my cream shadows and eyeliner come off that way without much rubbing. I usually need to do a specific upwards run or press to pick up the mascara on the under side of my lashes, but that depends on the mascara. Easily washable stuff will usually take a big hit from the first go, but I'm usually wearing water proof so it's harder to get off. 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I use the Makeup Eraser cloths. They are a cloth that you wet with warm water and rub over your face to remove any makeup. I wear eyeshadow, liner and mascara and this removes it completely. I then follow up with a cleanser, but not too closely around my eye area. 

They are available in some pharmacies but are easier to find overseas e.g.: Sephora, Priceline etc. Tailor Skincare also have makeup removing cloths. 

This could be an option to try as you wouldn't need to rub any product near your eyes. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sophia, that's what I'm looking to do - use a product that just needs pressing onto the eyelid then sweeping off without rubbing. I did use micellar to do that the other night but the one I have (a freebie from Mecca) is quite highly fragranced. 

I have a couple of makeup remover cloths but I find you still need to rub your eyes to get makeup off. That's not an option right now. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Maybelline Eye and Lip Make-up remover is safe for sensitive eyes (and contact lens wearers).  If you shake the dual phase liquid, then pop some on cotton pads and just hold these against your eyes for 30 seconds, the makeup literally melts off and gently wipes away. I use it all the time to remove really stubborn eyeliner & waterproof mascara without having to rub my eyes. 

Otherwise Lipidol Oil Cleanser is really gentle too, and it emulsifies with water and has no artificial fragrances, etc. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Silvene, the maybelline sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll pass on the lipidol though as it's mineral oil. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I love micellar water for makeup remover! And it’s teally good for eye makeup. I found I reacted to the simple one and Mecca one too. Garnier has been my fave and I have sensitive skin too
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I ended up picking up the Neutrogena eye makeup remover as it has great reviews. I just used it for the first time and so far so good. Didn't make my eyes sore at all even though they are still a bit dry from Thursday night's ordeal. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I like to use Micellar water as a makeup remover. It's quite gentle but can still leave a bit of a filmy eye. I just tried the Essano Gentle Cleansing Wipes last night and it removed my make up so gently and easily. Its early days but I think I have a new favourite!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ouch worldofsooziewong, that sounds painful. How is it feeling now?

I have to be careful with those makeup remover balms - I used one, think it was the Goodness brand and far out, such a reaction and my eyes were red and swollen afterwards. 

I use two things to take my makeup remover off - makeup remover cloth (was lucky to get this to trial and now it is my holy grail cloth) and coconut oil for when I struggle to get the black eyeliner off under my eyes. Works perfectly, no reaction or irritation.
Macs
5351 posts
Oh no . Funny how that happens. 

At the moment Im really enjoying the Garnier Micellar in oil .

I hope you find a new one that your skin will like.
ree_nz
247 posts
worldofsooziewong Yup! I use both of them on and around my eyes to remove makeup (I actually don't use either for general skincare). My eye area gets super sensitive :) Just an idea though, it's what has worked for me (ie. anything more oil based that really just has to be held on the eyelid and wiped a single time).
lisaflow
9 posts
Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover is the best solution for sensitive eyes
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I ended up gong with the Neutrogena one and it's been great. 
Jadeella
5 posts
Throw away all your makeup cleaners and just buy yourself a Halo! I have always tried lots of different makeup removers over the years. I actually prefer oil based ones because otherwise I find I have to rub too hard to get the makeup all off and  my eyes always got itchy and sore. Now I only use my Halo to remove all my makeup and at first I was hesitant thinking it was not doing to do what it promised. Since then several of my friends have bought some from my recommendation. All you do is wet the round fibre disc and it removes all makup somehow!! Google it, it really works!
Pinkyinky
2 posts
Ultrabland from Lush is absolutely amazing. It's so gentle that you can really work it into your eyelashes. I swear by it

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!