Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

28 posts, 21 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Do you use a specific eye primer or just the one you use on the rest of your face?

I'm curious as I haven't tried a primer and wondering if I need to invest in an eye specific one. 

I have the Nude By Nature undercover primer that I haven't cracked open yet so hoping that will do the trick for all areas.
Julieal
915 posts
I haven't tried eye primer either and would also be interested in other BR thoughts.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Makeup used to be so simple years ago. All these new products are interesting though. I kinda laughed to myself when I first heard about primer. Goodness, that was just for walls back in my day lol
MareeB
5239 posts
I've only ever used face primer, but I'd be interested to know how well an eye primer works AmandaJane?
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I actually don't use eye primer. To be honest I'm not sure what the purpose of it is. I only wear eyeliner so wouldn't priming them make applying harder or make it rub off? Sorry probably a dumb question lol x
kirstyj
1732 posts
I definitely use a separate eye primer. I have quite oily lids though that eat makeup for a living so if you don't have that problem I wouldn't bother.

I don't use my face primer on my eyes as I find them far too thick in formulation. They end up creasing before you even get any eyeshadow on them at all.

I quite like my elf eye primer. Super cheap from iherb. But it does take a wee bit more work than a high end one. I put it all over the lid then you have to wait for it to set as it is quite a wet liquidy formula. I really like the Urban Decay one, it is probably my fav of all the eye primers I have tried. Nice drier formulation, but still goes on the lids quite thinly so it doesn't crease and has a tiny touch of colour so gets rid of the colour of the veins at the sides of my eyes.

So I find there is a difference, but each to there own. Makeups for fun so see what works for you :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Okay this is just my two-cents weigh in. I only use my face primer for my face, and i use a specific primer for my eyes. However, sometimes i just use my concealer (Mac pro-longwear) as an eye primer because it works just aswell. The reason I use an eye primer is to make my eyeshadow last longer, and to prevent possible creasing. Sometimes certain eye primers can be slightly tacky, which helps glittery eyeshadows to 'stick' to the lid, but it really depends on the eye look your doing wether a primer will help you or not. For example, if i am only wearing eyeliner, and a mascara, i personally would get no benefit from using a primer? Hope this helps :D

Oh and reccomendations for eye primers?-Mac pro-longwear concealer (not really an eyeprimer, but i find it works for me)-Urban decay potion primer-Lorac behind the scenes primer-Elf Primer  Im sure there are lots of other options out there, but these are the ones i find effective
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I second MAC prolongwear concealer as an eye primer! My main reason for priming my eyes is to conceal the redness/veins on my lids, and to help with longevity :) I can't not use a primer as it makes such a difference!
trudijoy
8375 posts
A higher end eye primer is on my list for sydney but in the meantime i'm using the Jordana one. It's good too a few bucks and shadows look better, adhere better and last longer. Yay
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I totally agree Sarahbeautynz, even when I don't wear eyeshadow, i will still use concealer on my eye lid, because it just hides all those imperfections, and lightens my whole eye area up! Plus if i am already concealing under my eye, it only takes 5 seconds to do my lid aswell
shazatron101
5112 posts
I don't use a primer specific for my eyes, but reading some of the comments I'm starting to think I should. I've noticed my eyeshadow (when I wear it) fades off thanks to being oil city. So maybe it's something I'll look into :D 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I don't have any trouble with my eyeshadow creasing or not lasting, I don't have oily lids and the colours come out pigmented enough, so I don't use an eye primer. I do however apply a small amount of foundation to my lids, as my foundation is a lot darker than my face (to match my fake tan), so it would look weird if I left my eye area pale. The only eye primers I have tried (Urban Decay and Rimmel) have lifted this foundation off and caused a mess. It really depends if you have any concerns with your eyeshadow :) 
janini9
341 posts
Having only begun to wear eyeshadow again after many years of avoiding it, I found it disappointing to find my eyeshadow efforts migrating into the creases of my mature skin and ending up a blah mess. So I invested in a a cheap Elf primer to see if that would help as when I had my makeup done at Farmers, they used a primer and that eyeshadow stayed put for hours. 
I have found that using a eye primer certainly makes the difference. It makes it much easier to apply shadows and blend and the result is so much nicer than without using an eye primer. The best thing though, about a specific eye primer is that the application of eyeshadows stays put and I find that my eye makeup still looks pretty good hours later.
I upgraded to an Urban Decay eye primer, but still use my $10 Elf eye primer because it's just as good.
alikat
423 posts
I'm the queen of eyeshadow primer. My eyelids, like the rest of my face, turn into an oil slick about five minutes after walking out the door. I've found a few awesome products that work in the past four years that I've been priming my lids and on any one day I'll use:

- NARS Smudgeproof Primer
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- Mac paint pot in painterly
- Urban Decay Primer Potion

I've never used face primer on my lids because the skin on your eyelids is thinner and I don't think its a wise idea to use a heavy product on thin skin. I'm looking forward to trying the Mac Pro Longwear concealer as a primer on my lids though. 

My first eyeshadow primer was the Bare Minerals primer and that was good too. 

If you don't need primer, dont use it :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hmm, with being older I'm going to avoid the glittery shades I think. I've got an order in for some Living Nature matt eye shadows so when they arrive I'll have a play with what I have. I have a concealer too that I haven't opened so I'll try that as well I think. Hopefully the Nude by Nature will be good for the eyes too. I suppose it's just a case of experimentation and that's something I haven't done for a longggg time. Fully intending on trying all this with what I have this week so I can write some more reviews too :)

MissQT
1547 posts
I only use an eye primer when I wear eye shadows. I find it helps prevent creasing, especially as I have oily eye lids. It also helps to conceal the visable veins on my lids. I also use the elf eye primer but I haven't used any other eye primers so can't offer a comparison.
chloednz
217 posts
I've only ever owned two eyelid primers-elf and essence; am currently using essence which I prefer to elf. I find it evens out the color on my lids and helps with creasing/colour intensity etc, although I still have some creasing with some products. Would love to get an upgrade next time around and see if its worth splurging a little more there, especially after finding that last night after dinner out with friends my eyliner had migrated down the sides of my eyes and onto my cheeks- not a good look!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh yes, i just brought the Mac Painterly pat to use as a primer! Slipped my mind. It also seems like i need to get my hands on some essence products! They sound lovely
chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh yeah always use a primer for your eyelids, helps smooth and evenly tone the area so that your eye shadow has mire vibrancy, applies nicely and gives it added lasting power.  I currently have a few on the go that are good.  Rovie, Lorac, urban decay and a MAC paint pot
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Okay, I'm sold on the idea now and must try it. If the Nude by Nature isn't sufficient I'll be on the hunt for something else. A 'natural' or organic primer. I wonder if such a thing exists.

I was thinking about how these things are so different than in my mother's time, and her mother's. There was none of these products then and they looked beautiful all the same. The evolution of beauty sure is an interesting thing isn't it. I wonder where skincare products will be in even 50 years time, it's mind boggling really.

itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've tried the nude by nature primer, it felt really nice on and I think it's one of the more natural primers out there.
AmyPearl777
11 posts
I use an eye primer and a face primer as well - NYX HD Studio has a slightly green tint for my face to cover redness and I use the E.L.F Eyelid primer for my eyes as I have quite oily lids and the regular NYX primer doesn't make the shadows as long-wearing as the E.L.F one.

Just my 2c worth! :D
AmandaJane
1147 posts
That's good to know, ty it's clear as crystal :)

Amypearl interesting, ty for your comment! 
beksnz
33 posts
I have the ELF one and I really like it and I've used the Urban Decay one as well but I didn't quite like the consistency as much. It's good to hear that people like the Mac Paint Pots though because I've heard so much about them from Beauty YouTubers and things that I kind of want to give it a go! Reviews of Elf eyelid primer are pretty mixed but it seems to get the job done for me!
Rezee
1964 posts
Im all about the urban decay primer potion, nothing else comes close for me.
for some reason, I have oily lids (rest of my skin is uper dry) , and shadow will crease like crazy on me if I dont use a primer.
ive tried elf, which I liked in winter but it didnt work for me in summer. Im currently using too faced shadow insurance which is ok I guess. Lorac behind the scenes is my least favorite. 
Sophia
203 posts
Art deco eyeshadow base is also good and easy to find at Farmers. 

Hey girls, do any of the Elf bases have no glitter? I tried the champagne colour and it dropped glitter all over my cheekbones. It was otherwise good for my sensitive eyes.
Ringy
825 posts
24 hours later and my daughter had no reaction from the Elizabeth Arden eye primer FYI

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!