Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Any advice for applying makeup to hooded eyes

21 posts, 15 members
pintsize
1072 posts
Hey beauties,

I have really hooded eyes and have only really noticed how hooded they are now that I am experimenting with different makeup looks i.e. winged liner.

There must be others like me out there and aside from you tube videos (which I have been watching loads of) what advice do you have for me and others.
I also am in the early 30s age range if that helps.

Am I wasting my time with the wings?

xx
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I don't do wings, too fiddly for my liking. I make my eyeliner thicker/wider on the top on the outer edge than by the nose and the bottom level from about 1/2 way across to the outer edge. 
Keep experimenting though. Maybe the wings need to be smaller? can they be made smaller? would they look better in a different colour?
Make up is meant to be played with.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I have really hooded, asian eyes and I still haven't mastered liquid or winged liner but the few times someone as done winged liner for me at the cosmetic counter it's proved to bring out my eyes more than eye shadow. I guess experiment with a thinner line and having the wing do a gentle flick up rather than a long more extended wing looks best on my eyes. Also try creating depth with three different shade of eyeshadow. And when you do a smokey eye instead of having the darkest shade at the bottom have a sort of verticle gradients have the darkest shade at the outer corners of your eye and the lightest at the inner corners, that's what works for me. And for everyday looks I try to create depth by having an eyeshdow that's a few shades darker my base color and blending it in where the crease should be and then have a lighter shade on the lids to sort of make my lids pop.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh hunny I hear you! Waves my hand up high. I tried watching YouTube things. Our internet has a love hate relationship with me watching tho. I seen one that basically said look at your eye half open or closed, now that's where you do the line. You need to almost draw over the hooded part. Oh heck I'm not explaining very well! Also the wing bit you aim it higher instead of flat along the eyelid and out. Wishes I could draw a picture hehe
if you feel like stalking go on my IG page or FB and see if you can figure out what I'm trying to say xxx
pintsize
1072 posts
Thanks ladies... I have been toying with new looks as part of my resolutions and wings has been something I have always been too afraid to try in the past. I have given it a go enough to go out in public and no odd stares but I just don't really like how it looks yet.

Tannygirl... I am going to try the eye shadow blending and already love using 3-4 eyeliner colours at once (that was an experiment last year), just have never been big on wearing eyeshadow unless it is a single colour as most of it gets lost or worn off.

I see a lot of ladies on you tube say they have hooded eyes and they are not nearly as hooded as mine... mine kind of fold twice if that makes sense. I guess it is classed as a heavy hood?

Off to have stalk now Ong ;)

Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Oh my goodness story of my life!!  I have hooded eyes and too much padding above my lids.  I have always found it hard to keep eyeshadow looking good and doing wings.  Countless Youtube tutorials later I am no closer to perfecting it.  I would be interested to see as well Ong if that's ok?  :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have semi hooded eyes which I counter act by going outside the lines of normal eyeshadow lining, ie taking the crease line up higher than it should be nearly right under the brow line and then put a really shimmery pearl type of shadow right on the brow bone basically underlining the eyebrow with a highlighter, quite thickly then I grab a big eyeshadow brush (what I call my poofing brush) then I close my eye and blend all together by lightly doing big circles, then I go in with some accent colour to finish off.  When smoky eyes are the thing I want I take the crease line colour out further to elongate my eyes and put it heavier at the outer edges and under the eye, then line with a thin line of gel or liquid liner.   And no your not wasting liner you just have to look at it different, perhaps line your eyes on the waterline instead of the lids so that you get defination there to counter the hooded lids
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Go for gold luvy. IG is best as it's where I put my face pics :) 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
This is something I used to really struggle with and now I rock wings most days. As some of the other ladies an fe mentioned, blend your crease colour above your natural crease line - this creates the illusion that your crease is higher than it is. Also experiment with the width of your winged liner - for example I have found that it looks best on my eyes if I do a really thin line as opposed to a thick one. Hope that makes sense x
pintsize
1072 posts
Thanks ladies your advice has been extremely helpful

Do any of you have tips on products to avoid?
I found one you tuber saying stay away from frosted or shimmer and another saying use it so now I am confused... I have some shimmer pallets (new but don't want to open them if they are of no use to me).  

I feel like such a noob but honestly I swear my face has changed dramatically overnight... maybe just the ho-humms of another birthday looming nearer :/
Anyway forever grateful for your advice
xxx
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Silly question but how do I know if I have hooded eyes? I googled but they all just look like eyes to me lol
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Personally I ignore that advice about shimmery or frosted shades - if you like wearing them then I say wear them! I wear them. There aren't any products I have come across that you should avoid although I prefer super thin points on my liquid liner as opposed to a thicker nib. 

Yiu ou can tell if you have hooded eyes if the lid of your eye kind of folds over where your eyelashes grow - that probably makes no sense at all sorry haha. It kind of hides a bit of your eyelid.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Omg ignore that about shimmers as long as you dont load it on aggressively it can actual open your whole eye area up, especially along the brow bone on top of your crease line and just a dab on the centre of your lid, you can wear anything its all about how you apply to give the illusion of a open eye 
Kia
550 posts
Ugh I love all the advice here! I not only have hooded eyes, but I also have a lot of skin on my eyes, like layers of skin, which just creates a bigger barrier! Youtube videos dont help very much because I find that even though they have hooded eyes, it still looks different. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I had that problem growing up Kia. I would apply eyeshadow, heavy dark eyeshadow and then I'd open my eyes and it'd disappear it never would look the same so applying makeup for me was pretty much self taught and trial and error. My sister has more eyelid than me and decided to copy me and ended up looking like she got punched in the eye because she was wearing so much dark, heavy eyeshadow and me it just disappeared.
g1ggles2
358 posts
Chikoboo I love your new pic!!
I have hooded eyes, drove me mental for years but now I have learnt that the best way for me to apply shadow is to remeber to bring it up high enough on the sides of my eyes where my hood starts to form, so where my brow bone is I guess even though my eye brows actually sit higher (hope that makes sense) it means that I get alot more shape to my eyes and I can see just a little of the colour I chose to wear while my eyes are fully open it also meana when I do my winged liner it has a nice colour back drop rather than all blending together
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
sooo just realised that I have hooded eyes, so am loving all these tips. Will definitely be trying them all out very soon. Hooded eyes are such a pain in the butt!!! 

Kia definitely know what you mean about having alot of skin on your eyes aswel, expect I only have that on like the outer v. Very strange indeed!
larapearce
5 posts
Matte shadow in the crease or above it slightly ( depending on the space between your eyebrow and crease) and a nice lighter light catching colour on the lid, thin liner if any but eyeliner in your upper lash line and mascara will keep the eye lid open. But remember even ifor it seems like everything is covered by your hooded eyes people will still see a pop of shimmer/colour on the lid every time you blink, which is nice, I think...a little surprise
Stelle90
120 posts
I find tightlining  my upper lid and then only drawing the wing or a flick at the end of my eye works wonders! Hope that makes sense :) 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Definitely tightlining the upper waterline! I used to line my upper lashline for the longest time and it would take up half my lid space - not ideal. I mean, I still do liner when I have a dramatic eye, like a smokey eye etc but it just helps my eye look so much bigger by only tightlining :)
rosa_m
3 posts
I researched makeup for hooded eyes on youtube and tried out some of the looks. By far the most helpful one for me was by a youtuber called missmai27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1QIV8Eq41E

This video is one of her earliest ones but she explains the general principals of where your dark colours should go and where your light colours should go and why. Which made me actually understand what I was doing and the affect it would have on enhancing (or not enhancing!) my eyes. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!