Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Winter Foundation Shade?

32 posts, 11 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi all, I got my foundation shade matched in the summer when I was naturally darker due to a tan. The tan is gone and I'm wondering if anyone can advise how to go about getting a lighter shade. I'm still relatively new to the foundation thing and not great at shade matching. Any hints would be appreciated, thanks.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I'm not much help. Best start though is knowing your general undertone ie neutral, warm or cool ... Then it can expand to being olive tone etc. I'm a light neutral which is where I start. I avoid anything to yellow and research foundations as some oxidize (get darker once applied). Sorry not much help here. Hopefully when we go down to level 2 Mecca could give you advice etc?
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
If you really like your current foundation, and it has the right undertone, could you purchase a shade lighter? Or mix it?
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Haha I've always has winter and summer foundations. I've had both the same foundation in just a lighter or darker shade or used it as an excuse to buy another brand I want to try. Match to your jawline is best I find.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi Jackie, so the shade I was matched to was Estee Lauder 3w2 cashew. I assume the w means warm? I used findation to find the shade in different brands and have been using WNW which I really like but they are no longer cruelty free. So will be looking for a cruelty free brand of foundation.  
tabucutie
1811 posts
@itsclearascrystal I only started wearing foundation daily in the last 5 months and have noticed my first foundation was too dark for my non tan skin lol. Thanks for the tip  hopefully I can purchase a good shade.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Hmmm yeah the W is warm and numbers obviously how light/dark you are so at a guess you'd go down but would depend how much lighter you are 

I've never worn Estee lauder but had a wee perv at their shade range
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
If you are just wanting to lighten your existing foundation, you can buy drops to add to it, without changing the formula. Mecca do one in their Mecca Max range that is cruelty free and vegan.Theyre called Life Proof Liquid Lightener. 

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
My face is pale and I feel like it doesn't change colour lol. I was just thinking about this thread, I use the same colour all year round I've never really thought to change it. I better check my current foundation still matches:-)
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I'm the same, just use the same shade all year round but if people tan well or use self tan they often need a summer shade ... I'm too lazy :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I wear the same shade all year round (too lazy to get a different one), although I do tan in summer so it suits me better then. In winter, when my skin is lighter, I just apply less or mix a little in with my moisturiser to make more of a tinted moisturiser than a full on foundation. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
What ratio of foundation to moisturiser do you use? A tinted moisturiser sounds like an ideal solution. Especially as i don't need full coverage in the colder months, just a uniform naturalish look.
MissQT
1547 posts
If you try and lighten with a moisturiser try and use a thick one. A thinner one will reduce the coverage of your foundation more. I either opt for a lighter foundation and then add more bronzer in summer. Or I'll mix the foundation with a lighter foundation shade. Bb cream can also be used. As mentioned the lightening and tinting drops are also good.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, I started off with 50/50, and then tweaked it until I found a consistency that I was happy with.  I find it varies depending on the brand of moisturiser that I'm using.  Some moisturisers are thicker and 50/50 works well, others are thinner (more liquid) and I end up using 2/3 foundation to 1/3 moisturiser. It'll also depend on how much of a shade difference you're aiming for (if that makes sense). 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks @Silvene, look forward to trying it out. Hopefully gonna give it a go this weekend when I have time off work.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i tan year round (99% fake) so my foundation stays the same, but if i'm paler i'll just use less product and blend more, usually add a bit of a pearly illuminating cream like GlamGlow GlowStarter.

If i'm more tan i again use a little less foundation, blend it out more, andit just kinda works.  I think the foundation i'm using is kinda the perfect 'covers all situations' shade for my face, which helps
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Tanning scares me hehe. I do tan my legs sometimes in summer cause I love wearing dresses. 

What foundation do you use Trudi?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Haha Jackie I am really pale all year round.  Except for my arms in summer lol they are the only part of me that tans.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i use TooFaced Peach Perfect in Light Beige - it's kinda perfect for me formula, shade and wear-wise, and i'm on bottle number four or five exactly the same. I use their Hangover Primer under it and love that too. 

for tan i use Bondi Sands  - the best one i've found out there for results, shade and wear :) 
MissQT
1547 posts
I agree with Trudi. I love the Bondi sands fake tan. It requires a bit more effort than the spray ones like the sally Hansen airbrush version, but it's worth it.
Kat555
143 posts
I'd love to get a new foundation but I'm terrified of getting a colour that doesn't actually work. I've had people tell me do buy certain shades in shops but discovered it doesn't actually suit later on. I have very fair skin so it's very obvious if it's not quite right. So I go very light on the foundation. I would love to find a colour and brand that really suits though. I have had clinique brands quite a while ago but noticed that my skin changed a bit and didn't work as well anymore. I probably need someone that really knows what they are doing to help me! 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I have very fair skin also. The brand I find has nice pale colours is Rimmel. The Rimmel 25 hour breathable foundation is great, very natural looking too, also the match perfection. Porcelain and ivory are what I go between.
AboutFace
412 posts
Kat you could get colour matched at a pharmacy or Farmers and they usually give you a couple of samples to take home, that way you will know if it's right for you (colour and formulation).
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes definitely get samples and see how they work with your skin and if the colour oxidizes.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Turns out using too much product was the biggest contributor to shade being too dark. Have taken some of the advice given and used a smaller amount with more blending and it's definitely helped a lot! Still slightly too dark but way better than it was.

Need to get a new foundation this week, has anyone used any from Makeup Revolution or The Ordinary? Thoughts?
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I've recently tried the revolution foundation stick. Not too bad but probably not as hydrating as I prefer. Next on my list is the wet n Wild photo focus hydrating foundation .... At Farmers for $13.99 I think
tabucutie
1811 posts
Haven't used a foundation stick as yet so will most likely stick to liquid formula. My last foundation was the wnw photofocus. I really like the formula but the brand is no longer cf so looking for alternatives. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've used The Ordinary serum foundation. I really liked it at first but was over it by the time I'd finished it. It's very watery so it's messy to dispense from the pump and goes everywhere. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've tried Make Up Revolution foundation. It was ok, but I prefer the likes of L'Oréal or Revlon that feel nicer on the skin and a little more high end.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I really love Rimmel 25 hr breathable foundation.  It's hydrating and never cakes but the best thing is it looks so natural.
siouxsannah
261 posts
I have used the Makeup Revolution foundation stick, and The Ordinary foundation. The Makeup Revolution foundation stick is quite waxy, but it does offer full cover. I mainly use it for spot correction. I have used The Ordinary's Serum foundation, and their Coverage foundation. The Serum one is very runny, so it can be quite awkward to use. The Coverage one isn't bad, though from memory I think it was a little more drying than the Serum one.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Awesome feedback, so excited to try something new.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!