Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What Were Your Best Makeup Buys of 2017? Worst?

13 posts, 9 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
Happy new year everyone! I'm looking at my makeup collection an making resolutions to pan stuff off. I didn't buy as much makeup last year as I have over the previous years but I did add some things to my collection. My fave makeup buys last year were:

- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow - Love Hourglass? You'll love the effect you'll get using this palette. Just this gorgeous glow that makes your skin look luminous but not oily and yep it lives up to the hype.

- Charlotte Tilbury Blush in First Love - I love how this gives my cheeks that healthy look but it's muted enough I could wear it with any makeup look. Goes on beautifully. I want more CT blushes!

- Charlotte Tilbury Lipstick Bitch Perfect - While we're discussing CT I really liked the lipstick. Natural looking nude, creamy and light. Pairs beautifully with the First Love blush.

- RT Power Bleu Brushes - Soft Complexion and Soft Finishing Brush - I love this line. It's perfect for powder so soft, feels luxurious and it picks up powder perfectly you apply it to your face and you look at the brush and there's no powder product left on the brush it all went on your face! The brush head looks clean! This is fantastic for those nude looking blushes, bronzers and hightlighters anything that you need multiple dips in the product to get it to show up on your face. I wouldn't use it with really pigmented blushes, highlighters or bronzers or if you're heavy handed with those products unless you want your cheeks to be seen from a mile away. I want the bigger powder brush!

Worst Makeup Buy

- Manuka Doctor ApiRefine CC cream - I liked the facial oils but this was a flop. Why do we wear makeup? To look better. To hide or reduce the appearance of flaws on our skin. I wore this on a couple of good skin days. My skin was supposed to look nicer, healthier, more even toned, etc. It made my skin look worse! I usually giveaway products that don't work for me, to make someone else happy, give them some use from it, good product doesn't go to waste, etc. I wouldn't gift anyone this product, unless you consider a bad skin day a blessing. It went straight to the bin. 

So what were your best and worst make up buys of 2017?

trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm restricting this to things that were NEW to me in 2018:

Faves:

Glamglow Glowstarter: started off with one from a Mecca Loop Box and fell in love, so got myself the trio pre xmas. SO GOOD, I use it as primer and it makes my skin look awesome.

Urban Decay Vice lipstick in 'Frenemy': literally the perfect shade for me, I get so many compliments wearing this! I also have 'Firebird' and I love that too but "frenemy' will be replaced time and time again.

NYX ombre blush: mine's been being used for months and doesn't even look like it's been touched, yet gives me the perfect rosy cheek.

Urban Decay Afterglow highlighter in 'Aura': pretty pink highlighter that I'm obsessed with atm

Root retouch spray. Any kind. It's a freaking miracle.

Nope list:

Marc Jacob's Velvet Noir mascara - I got this free at Sephora so maybe it was old, but....ugh. So clumpy and hard to work with :/

Soap and Glory 'Glad Hair Day' conditioner - I swear to god this made my hair DRIER
shazatron101
5112 posts
hits for me included
a Tarte BB cream, it makes my skin look absolutely fabulous and if it wasnt $56 for a full sized one I'd be buying it
A setting spray from Tarte again - holds my face in all day, but the smell is gross
A Korean cream cleanser, it smells like bananas even though its called "mango"
i didn't buy it but i was gifted a Korean hyalauronic acid gel moisturizer and it's amazing
THE TONI AND GUY DRY SHAMPOO FROM THE VAULT OH MY GOD move over batiste

misses for me included
a Tarte gel cleanser - it removed makeup well enough, but the smell is gross again, their skincare smells awful
the second bottle of Antipodes oil - its green and smells not right and nothing like the first bottle i had. thank god i didnt buy it

i'm sure theres more but i can't think, my brain is gone bye bye
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Best for me would be:
* Nyx BB cream, I adore this and use it everyday. So light on my skin and makes it look so great.
* Lush let the good times roll cleanser, amazing for my dry skin.
* Crop micellar water, leaves my skin feeling fresh and clean, not drying at all.
* Toni and Guy dry shampoo, love this! Makes my hair look fab.

Worst:
* Akin rosehip oil, I know a lot of people love it but it broke me out so bad!
* Clinique quickliner, hated it, terrible formula and tugged so bad.
Koni
444 posts
2017 HITS:
Ardency Inn pressed pigment - Royal
Davroe Haircare
A'Kin Rosehip Oil
Maybelline Tattoo Gel Brow Tint
Fenty Gloss Bomb

2017 MISSES:
Jeffree Star Highlighters
Urban Decay Highlighter - Aura
IT Cosmetics Tightline Mascara Primer
The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
Jouer Lip Topper - Skinny Dip
MareeB
5242 posts
Dr Lewinns polishing facial gel and Moisture Mist CC cream were my two favourite new products from 2017.
Macs
5351 posts
My 2017 Hits were: 

Gerard Liquid Lipstick 
Color pop Pressed Eye Shadows
Color Pop Pressed Bronzer, Highlighter and Blush
Color Pop Ultra satin Liquid lipstick 
Lush Shower Gels & Creams
Tony Moly Panda Under Eye 
Dr Lewwins Skincare System 
Jefree Star Liquid lipstick
Tarte Swap Queen Eye and Face Pallette
Smashbox Double Exposure 
Make Up Geek Foiled Eye Shadows 
Anastasia Prism Eye Shadow Pallette

2017 Misses: 

Goodness Chia Seed Serum 
Garnier Hair shampoo and Conditioner
Loreal Laser x 3 Night and Day Cream and Peel 
Mellow Brow definer 
MUA Eye Shadow Pallette
Mellow Eye Shadow Pallette 
Elf Concealer 
Maybelline Superstay Foundation 

Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oooooh great thread x

Hits 

A'kin Rosehip Vitamin C Oil
Moisture Mist CC Cream in Purple (Brightning)
doTERRA Skincare range (cleanser, toner, serum, moisturiser)
Biotraitement Beauty Hair BB Mousse leave in conditioner
Lush Once Upon a Time body conditioner (I use it as a massage bar)
Lush Snow Fairy Massage Bar
Lush Rose Jam Spray (omg)

Misses

Dove Shampoo
Lush Twilight Sprinkle Massage Bar - love the smell but leaves a purple stain that is hard to remove
Garnier Chamomile Fresh face mask - smelt nice but omg so hard to work with lol

I'm sure there are more but good to see there were more hits than misses he he he

alikat
423 posts
I'm going with New to Me in 2017 (including December 2016 in the USA, because why not and I did most of my shopping for the year then).

LOVES
- Tartlette in Bloom Palette
- MAC Startrek Highlighter in Luna Luster
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation
- Laura Mercier Translucent Powder
- Eye of Horus Eyeliner Pencil
- Eye of Horus Brow plumper
- Dior Addict Lipstick

MISS
- Lorac Unzipped Gold Palette (Cant even sell this on Trademe to try and get some money back! UGH!)
- NARS Audacious Mascara
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance (Its tough to beat my HG Nars Smudgeproof)
- Laura Mercier Eye Shadow Sticks

Been making an effort this year to use up what I already own and not buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff, and parting company by sale or bin what I dont use anymore. Its been quite liberating in that I'm no longer paralysed by indecision when putting my face on in the mornings. Planning to continue this trend for 2018 (says she who is now on a first name basis with some staff at MAC Riccarton because of her Boxing Day spend.... ahem, that was 2017...)
tannygirl
3392 posts
  That's so interesting Alikat. I had my eye on the Lorac Unzipped original at beginning of 2017. I really had to talk myself out of buying that beautiful rose gold palette because I need to pan through my other palettes and I use mostly matte eyeshadows since they last better on my monolids and the Unzipped palette is mostly shimmer and metallic shades. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Koni Royal by Ardency Inn is such a beautiful rich purple blue. I had my eye on their eyeshadows because I wanted to get Peacock since it has that brown/turquoise green duo chrome. But I didn't because I have so many other eyeshadows.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Manicare's Flawless Complexion Sponge not worth getting it started having cracks in it after one wash. The sponge feels like it's made out of really cheap foam like those wedges you can get in a bulk pack at the $2 store. If you like that sort of material the cheap wedges are a better option because you can throw them out after using them and save on washing there's plenty of them in a big cheap pack. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Not any expensive buy but one really handy thing that I bought and refuse to run out of is the Swisspers cosmetic dual tips, the pointy cotton buds. They are awesome for correcting mistakes when you're doing winged liner which happens every single time I try to do winged liner.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!