Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Should be using primer??

25 posts, 23 members
Jodielolevans
40 posts
Hi there! :)
I'm really stuck as to whether i should be using a primer at the moment. I sometimes think that my makeup looks a little better in the morning than it does in the afternoon. However i'm worried that primer could be just another thing to clog my pores!? So do i really need it? I wear The body shop tea tree bb cream, The body shop all in one face base powder over the top. Then elf undereye concealer and highlight. As well as elf studio blush. Is this enough makeup to use a primer with or not? 
Thankyou, Look forward to hearing from you! :)
1139 posts
I tend to only use primer with foundation. I used to wear foundation everday but seem to be wearing just a BB cream each day, and I don't use a primer with it. It's probably best to give it a go and see if it makes much of a difference for you. 
Rezee
1964 posts
I don't wear powder or primer with bb cream, just with foundation. I think the ELFones are pretty good so you could maybe try those? I don't think they block your pores, as long as you wash your face each night then I guess you should be ok?
Jesse
745 posts
Some primers are more similar in consistency to skincare such as moisturisers than to clogging makeup. I wear primer with both bb cream and foundation as I have oily skin and find it helps create a nicer base and keeps my makeup looking better for longer, I now hate to wear either without primer. BR has some great info on primers too, try giving it a search in the search bar.
tabykitten
186 posts
I'm another one that doesn't wear primer with BB cream - but I have noticed it makes my makeup last longer and look nicer when I use it with foundation. I've also noticed it's improved my skin, it acts as a barrier between my face and the foundation. I don't use a lot, so it lasts me for agggges... 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I would say only use a primer when you need to or for example special event make up. You don't need it but it can be useful.
Lutece
1849 posts
I say its personal preferance, with me primer helps alot with making my foundation stay longer and gives me a smooth canvas before applying my liquid foundation. Its only been recently I have been using the Neutrogena SPF15 water gel as I find this is an amazing cream to prime my face before applying my liquid foundation or BB cream, my sister on the other hand finds it better not using primer so its all about seeing what is best for you, i hope this helps :)
kirstysays
762 posts
I didn't use primer on a regular basis in the past but have recently been using it under both bb cream and foundation and find it really does make a difference to the smoothness of my foundation.  As said above as long as you cleanse your face properly morning and night you shouldn't have a problem with primers blocking your pores :)  I would recommend trying primers out and seeing if they are something you personally like to use :)
Kia
550 posts
I don't necessarily think it's a necessity, but it does help make the appearance of foundation and skin nicer, especially if you're using a light foundation coverage. It helps fill in your pores and smooth down any pimple bumbs, so that your foundation doesnt do those things. 
Mila
1209 posts
I think its a personal preference, I dont use a primer all the time but because my skin is prone to being the dryer side and 90% of the time I use a mineral foundation I use a primer to give it a better base for the minerals.  If I use a liquid foundation I dont.  or I might use a bbcream as primer sometimes.  Play around and see what works for you :) 
SandyGedge
394 posts
Will be following this thread :-) the only primer I use is for my eyeshadow. I've always wondered whether a face primer was necessary? I've heard that the Elf primer is good.
Jodielolevans
40 posts
Thanks everyone, i might buy the elf primer and see if i like it. It's fairly cheap aswell so i won't need to worry if i buy it and i don't like it so much! :)
spooks26
108 posts
I got given some primer and I too have never known when to really wear it .but now reading everyone's great advice.ill be giving it a go when I need to let my hair down next .thanks ladies.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I still need to get a primer, however I find alot of primers ingredients wise don't sound much different from your average moisturizer, another thing I'm considering is a silicone-based serum. I wonder if that would work just as well since primers have silicone in them.
Lutece
1849 posts
There are a few makeup gurus for example Wayne Goss (Gossmakeup on YouTube) who don't think primers are necessary and just use a good moisturiser as Tanny says :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I find with some primers my makeup stays on all day, but with other primers it doesnt even make a difference. So if you do end up investing in a primer, make sure you read some reviews and get one thats actually worth buying!! I have been taught this lesson far too many times!
ellabxo
60 posts
honestly i dont see any change in my makeup without a primer compared to with one. a setting powder makes my makeup last all day,
notjaya
62 posts
Me neither. I don't really see any major effect from using a primer so I think I'd be fine without it for now.
RC
162 posts
I find a big difference when using primer; my foundation looks smoother, and lasts much longer. If I don't use primer, my makeup tends to lift off my skin by the end of the business day. I don't use it with BB cream, although I should try, because I tend to need to touch up after lunch if I use just BB cream that day. I use the Benefit Stay Flawless 15 hour primer, it's in stick form and is easy to apply, just swipe it around your face and smooth out with fingertips. It is pricy, but worth it, especially if you need your foundation to last throughout the day and into the evening, as I often do.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Personally I think its a sin not to prime, the primer helps people with enlarged pores and flaws cover up without laying on heaps of foundation and concealer which can give a false look to your face, primer is also heaven sent for those ladies with dry skin too as it works as a barrier between your moisturiser and foundation, that keeps hydration for the length of the day.  Since using primer I have seen less breakouts, increased longetivity of foundation and less dry and oily patching.  It is the one thing I would put down to acheiving a flawless look =)
teganswerve
5 posts
I find that when I use a primer, my makeup doesnt desintergrate through out the day no matter what foundation I use, it works wonders! 10/10 reccommend!!
amyhenderson
33 posts
Primer does help your makeup stay in place and look flawless for much longer so it is a good idea to wear it but if you dont have any you can use a face moisturiser which works almost exactly the same :)
NikitaSmith
15 posts
I use a primer for when I know I will have my make up on for a long time for wanting a bit more of a flawless apperance. Theres so many around that all do different things so maybe try some samples till you find one you like.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
It's really up to you, test it out and see.  But maybe a good alternative that still increases staying power is a setting spray?  I don't wear a primer under my BB Cream, but for a long day out I'll always spritz my face once my make up is all done with the E.L.F setting spray.  It makes a big difference!
MissyLiss
28 posts
I find that using primer helps my makeup to stay on longer. I use a liquid concealer and mineral powder foundation, and I always use a primer. It tends to smooth it out so you don't need so much and it doesn't fall into fine lines etc. I use a primer that's more like skincare (the Australis one) but have used a thicker one (from Sheercover) before but perfer the lighter Australis one. I only use maybe 3 peas worth a day so find it lasts quite a while too. I find primer makes it easier to spread the concealer on and foundation but it's one of those things you have to try to know if it's right for you. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!