Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Setting powders and finishing powders

22 posts, 10 members
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
What's your take on setting powders? Do you use them and if so which ones do you love/hate. I'm particularly interested coming from a dryer 'slightly' mature skin type :)

I usually do use a setting powder under the eye and all over. The best I've found so far is the Nikkia Joy Velvet Setting powder. But I'm wondering if I'm better not doing this (due to being dry) and just use a nice finishing powder instead like the hourglass ambient or the Charlotte Tilbury...
AboutFace
412 posts
I prefer to use a setting spray as powder highlights my lines. I like a dewy one and a dewy foundation with a luminating primer.

Would be interested to read what other ladies use particularly in the middle age bracket or with dry skin.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Yeah I tend to use a setting spray aswell (UD All nighter if really want staying power). I think I may just skip the powder going forward, thanks :)
tabucutie
1811 posts
I haven't gotten around to using setting powders yet though I still want to try them. Do see results with setting spray but it's not a staple item for me.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I use Mecca life proof powder and Glamglow GlowSetter and love both 
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Ooo I haven't heard of the Mecca one before...
trudijoy
8375 posts
It's really good, I get the presses one but it comes in loose as well. I also love the hourglass one and buy travel sizes of that for my trip bag :) 
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I love the hourglass ones, I have the mini too, and it also came in the Ghost Edit palette at Xmas which I love .... Little bit of luxury never hurt :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
100%!

i will happily pay more if I like the more expensive one better :) 
Nicola_yeah
15 posts
I have been using the Thin Lizzy transulecent powder, and I actually find it really nice! It doesn't eventuate my lines or make my skin appear dry. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I really like Thin Lizzy products too. I'd love to try the puffy eye product but its pretty pricey.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I haven't heard of that - haven't used thin Lizzy for many years apart from a fibre brow thing. Is it a cream product or a concealer ?
MareeB
5241 posts
Its a cream puffy eye remover and is $99 for a small tube.
AboutFace
412 posts
I just saw the ad for that Maree, looks good but I agree the price is up there.
Emily-jane
314 posts
I received a deluxe size Hourglass setting powder in a beauty loop box. I save it for special occasionals. I have sensitive, dry skin and live in a drier climate. It last well on my skin without pilling or making my skin drier so I definitely recommend. I have also used a Maybelline one but it doesn't compare now to the Hourglass.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah the hourglass is gorgeous. I buy the travel sizes because in my normal life I'm away so much and find loose powder travels better than pressed. It's not cheap, the hourglass but it is beautiful 
siouxsannah
261 posts
I have dry skin, and it is mature too, I guess, since I turned 40 this year! I use a luminising primer and a hydrating foundation. I don't bother with a setting powder as I find that makes my skin look too dry, and emphasises fine lines. Also, I don't think dry skin needs it. I find that a setting spray is enough to keep my makeup in place. I have always wanted to try the Ambient powder though because of its luminising effect. 
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
It's beautiful to just use a light sweep around the face at the end. Just s nice soft focus glow and that doesn't look dry at all
Kat555
143 posts
Thanks for the tips ladies. I've been looking at getting a new setting powder or spray!
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
My fav hydrating mists are the Glow Recipe Watermelon one from Mecca or the Loreal Shake and Glow. And for long wear the Urban Decay All Nighter
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh I have had my eye on the Glow watermelon mist, I think I have it on my wishlist for Mecca at the moment as well as the little sampler set with a few of their products in there. 

JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Yeah it's gorgeous. A very fine mist on it and it's very hydrating with some lovely ingredients

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!