Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Primers! Help

22 posts, 12 members
Kat555
143 posts
I have never used a primer but I'm wondering if I should to improve the look of my makeup. Are they worth it? Should you wear it every day? Day and night? Good cheaper versions. Best tips? Hit me!! Thanks :)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Hey Kat, the saying 'it's a crime not to prime' has been tossed about a lot over the years, and personally I'd recomend giving it a go, especially as there are lots of great inexpensive options out there to experiment with. It won't so much improve your look as set a stronger base which will help aid in the longevity of your make up. Depending on your skin, there are different primers. This article explains it quite well https://www.beautybase.com/blog/2019/04/the-best-primer-for-different-skin-types/.
Happy primer hunting.
Kat555
143 posts
Thank you! I will definitely have to have a look at some options. I was going to try a really cheap Kmart that has good reviews I think.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm obsessed with the TooFaced hangover primer. that ones more about face prep for me - if we are talking getting your makeup sitting smooth as glass then hourglass veil is lovely. 

def depends on your skin type and needs - I wfh most of the time but if I have conferences and full days in schools coupled with travel and work functions I need my face to stay put for sometimes up to 16-17 hours
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I so wanted to fall in love with the TooFaced Hangover primer Trudi, but it didn't do anything for me. Probably have the wrong skin type for it. I do love the hourglass mineral veil though, that is beautiful.

Believe it or not, the ELF mineral primer worked really well for me and also the Essence primer. Smashbox is also another one of my favourites.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah it skin preps me so nicely - takes out any redness a d smooths and calms my skin so the foundation looks more even. 

skins such a fussy beast though and that's why it's so hard to recommend your faves to others, hey! 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Totally agree, what could be fabulous for one person might have the opposite result for someone else. 

Would makes things so much easier if products worked the same for everyone.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yup! Better than Sex mascara is a perfect example. I haaaaaaaaaate it, probably one of the worst things I've ever had in my face. Yet routinely everyone gushes over it lol. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I don't think I've tried that one myself but yes I've heard great reviews on it. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I feel the same way about that mascara. Absolutely awful stuff. 

I have lots of primers in my collection as they seem to be in nearly every loop box. I don't tend to use them though as I only wear tinted moisturiser so not much point with them. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I seem to have collected a lot of primers over the years for every kind of finish.

But for a cheap option I would second the ELF one from Kmart.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have oily skin and NYX Shine Killer primer works for me.  Other ones I've tried and liked are Rimmel Stay Matte primer and Innoxa Pure Silk primer. The Innoxa one works well on all skin types. 
AboutFace
413 posts
I like to use Wet'n'Wild luminous primer, it is shimmery but that works for my aging dry skin lol
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
I swear by primers! Of course it's all about your skin type as to what you're looking for. There's the pore filling ones which aren't always the best for dryer skin. The Elf poreless poreless putty primer is very popular. I love the feel of the Hourglass Mineral Veil but I think I need more hydration like the Too faced hangover. Smashbox Primeriser is great too. Or there's the glowier ones like the Becca backlight or Milani Glow one
Macs
5351 posts
Only one that I've used and loved was the Dermalogica Green primer. Expensive but I haven't tried anything else that good. 
Emily-jane
314 posts
Love hourglass veil primer and the no 28 serum which is great for drier type skins. They are both a bit pricey but so worth it and they came in smaller sizes too which are a bit more affordable and last me ages. I've tried the Stilla one step correct but haven't commited yet to the full size.

Trudi, that mascara is just awful. I think my review of 2.75 is far to generous haha.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Emily I knooow!! I hated the brush and formula but the worst thing was that after about ten seconds it stung my eyes really badly. I ended up mentioning it on their insta and they contacted me for more details. I don't think they believed me at first but eventually they sent me a free product all the way from the states as a replacement for the money I'd spent because I'd bought it in Australia before Mecca opened here and therefore couldn't take it back.  I don't know if maybe it uses the same chemicals as I'm allergic to in hair dye but I was maybe 37 and had been using mascara at least 20 years at the time (39 now) and never reacted before, so clearly somethings not right....
tabucutie
1811 posts
I haven't got too much experience with primers but really enjoy the NYX shine killer one. Did try an essence primer cant remember the exact title but quite glowy results. Didn't like it for my oily skin type.
LucyAnnexx
29 posts
I absolutely use a primer! My favourite ones I have discovered so far are:
Benefit Porefessional primer and the Sephora brand primer. 

I have combination skin, usually on the more oily side. It really does help makeup sit (and stay!) better for longer
Emily-jane
314 posts
Omg Trudi that sounds awful. It's good they followed up and sent you something. I wonder what chemical caused it?  It didn't sting my eyes but was so hard to remove that it made my eyes red. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Dunno, but I wouldn't touch it with a very long pole
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh yeah I forgot porefessional. I quite like that, and the pearl one too

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!