Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ok, I'm hooked. Makeup Brand Advice for Mature Skin?

8 posts, 7 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ok, so BR has me hooked and now I need some advice :)

I have some makeup but it's a bit of a 'bitser' as they say and probably needs replacing anyway because it's so old (a bit like me hehe)

I'm looking for a brand that would suit more mature skin and a few pointers. I have no idea where to start. I used to be into makeup years ago before I had my son and life took over. Now there appear to be different skin challenges. No more hormonal breakouts though - yayy!

Do I need a primer? That didn't exist years ago. What does it *do*?

Foundation - any recommendations on a product that doesn't sit in your laughter lines and just draw more attention to them when I smile?

Powder - is there a foundation that does the job of two products? 

Concealer - do people still use that?

Lipstick that doesn't bleed? 

In all seriousness I am blessed in some respects, my skin is healthy and I don't have that much of a problem with ageing. I think it's more of an internal attitude thing than an external issue as it were.

I'd really appreciate any advice from other members on where to start. I need a makeover but I'm scared of retail cosmetic sales staff to go ask them lol :)
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I'm no expert by any means and depends on your price range but Chanel, Clinique, Shiseido, Estee Lauder and Clarins all make some great stuff that a lot of 'older' women enjoy but being 'mature' doesn't mean you have to wear specific stuff etc - use whatever works for you!

Primers in my opinion are hit and miss, love em or hate em type thing. Personally I don't notice a huge difference however they can offer some moisture and help makeup wear time. Clarins make a product called Beauty Flash Balm which I love. Its very moisturising and can be used all over as a primer before foundation or can be mixed with a foundation to sheer it out a bit for a more natural look

For foundation.. that's probably something you'll have to trial and error! Estee Lauder Perfectionist is made for mature skin so potentially a starting point? Clinique also make really good foundations that stay put in my experience. Also, have you looked into powder foundations? 

Many people still use concealer but for me personally I don't unless I have a special occasion. I find it too heavy for my liking on day to day but again, personal preference. Estee Lauder DW concealer, NARS creamy concealer, MAC concealers and Collection Lasting Perfection are all great. The last one you can get in the supermarkets 

I'm not a huge lipstick wearer (although I own many!) but I do recommend investing in a few lip pencils! If you want a variety of lip colours and don't want to buy all the matching lip pencils, you can invest in a clear anti-feathering lip liner. I have one by Milani which I love 

Most retail staff aren't as scary as you think!! Lots of counters will be more than happy to help and offer you a bunch of samples to take home with you to try before you buy. Sorry this was super long, hope it helped slightly!!!
chikoboo
3402 posts
if you treat your skin for your right age bracket you can wear any makeup, taking care of the canvas is paramount!!

Do I need a primer? yes yes yes yes omg yes!!! Primer acts like polyfilla for your face get the right one and you cover imperfections, redness, scars, even the tones and makes the perfect base.

Foundation - in regards to fine lines the primer also helps them too but I find the best is a BB cream as it's not full coverage and doesn't sink into the lines, although I do use foundation as well on occasions :)

Powder - you should use for setting your foundation only if you use a BB cream the has matte finish you can skip the powder.

Concealer - under foundation in an orange tone for panda eyes, then matching foundation colour over foundation to cover blemishes.

Lipstick - If you prep your lips with liner you can wear any without bleeding pat on a little foundation over lips, draw your lips and fill with liner then top with the lipstick and Blot.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
well I use a mix off products :) and I do try and stay in my age bracket. But the more mature skin products can be quite rich for some skins, and cause wee breakouts so I'm still using a foundation that's not for mature skin and it's great, I use a primer or a bb cream and most important I use a soft powder the drier the look the older the look, no blusher and you just look pasty, sparkly eyeshadow is nasty sob, and prep your lips and the lipstick shouldn't bleed x
notjaya
62 posts
I've attended a beauty blogging workshop not long ago, and one of the speakers Nikki Lovrich (Kiwi makeup artist for 30+ yrs) easily recommended Bobbi Brown if you want to venture into makeup, mainly because they do great neutrals. Nothing scary. For bases (foundation, concealer, powder), they do great formulas for dry (mature) skin.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
There are so many products that can help. I have met Chikoboo and magpie find their makeup is always perfect! Take note of what they say :)

My skin can be dry and I'm knocking on the door of 50. I do enjoy using oasis bb cream. I've just discovered a new foundation it's a mac one that gives me a dewy look.

Primers are great. The most important thing is wear it with confidence. Smile and your beauty will shine through.

Have a lovely day beautiful ladies
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thank you again everyone, I'm a bit overwhelmed :)

Now for a price compare - blimey some of those products are expensive! I'd forgotten about that. I used to use Clarins years ago, it was nice to have a bit of money to spend on it. Kids are expensive too lol

I'm going to get brave and go into Farmers and talk to a sales assistant tomorrow I think, now I know what brands to keep an eye on.

Macs
5351 posts
Did you end up finding anything? Would love to hear about it for future reference.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!