Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Makeup Artist Uses Identical Twins to Prove Expensive Cosmetics are a Waste of Money

15 posts, 12 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
That's the title of an article I came across today. I personally could point out the difference looking at the two side by side but the results of most people's opinion was interesting. 
JessB
219 posts
To be honest to me the designer make up looks like they've used a darker tone of foundation/concealer than the drug store makeup.. so I think the designer makeup was just not matched to her skin tone right! 
As for my ideas on the subject in general, I feel like you can find some cheap make up that is amazing, and some expensive make up that is horrible. It depends on the individual product and how it works for you. Although I would hope that if I were spending the extra money I'd find the expensive stuff to be right for me more often.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Hmm interesting. I like the expensive look on the streets and the drugstore look in the studio. I don't think most expensive make up looks more expensive on, especially when first applied. As the day goes on certain brands do last better. For me I buy an expensive product because I love how it feels on. For example my Chanel lipstick is my most favourite make up item ever. It is creamy, hydrating, lasts really well and has a really subtle shimmer to it. It is perfection and I just love it. But when it comes to eyeliner I am really happy with the super cheap drugstore brand Essence. Their eyeliner is as good as all the more expensive brands I've tried.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
They could have had the foundations closer to their skin tone by blending 2 together. Application gives different results as well. The asking of random street people is fine but someone that uses a lot of make up I would think could tell.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think straight off the bat freshly applied doesn't give a lot of clues but as wears on after several hours it does give a marked difference plus how it feels and how easily it blends. I understand they had a proffessional MUA apply it and so they can blend and do it so that it works but to the average person the better makeup is probably easier to apply with less effort and blending.
Kimrose
1412 posts
Sometimes I think more expensive products can last a bit longer.  I know when I use drug store brands, especially eye shadows, I need to use a primer.  If I dont, it wont last as long as more pricey items.  I think we wear what we can afford. Prep and application can go a long way to our end look.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
This topic is quite interesting! I recently went over to Australia in the hopes I'd buy makeup. I wanted 2 things a foundation and a setting spray......these 2 together? $97 for 2 items! I instead kept using my mums Revlon foundation which I'd roughly $30 and it was amazing! I only purchased 2 makeup items in Aussie a primer and an all over powder with the whopping total of $20 both you can get in nz and both products I've had in high end form and drug store. I think both high end and drug store are good. It all depends on the individual and what works for them.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Good article. I love both drugstore and expensive. It's depends what works best for you. I love Mac and Nars foundation but I also love designer brand foundation as well. Two months before I try Natasha denona glow foundation but after week use I threw in rubbish. Worst foundation i ever use. So it is depends what you looking for and what works best for you, your skin type, and your need. 
MareeB
5239 posts
Not exactly cosmetics, but I've just bought some Earthwise products on special at Countdown. They come in quite big containers for the cost so they look economical (I'll confirm they're worth it when I've tried them). I was going to the shop to get soap and handwash and looked in the brand directory for something I haven't tried and found Earthwise. The soap looked spensy at $5 (it was $4.50 on special) but when I got it it turns out it has 3 bars in the pack! and with a gorgeous lemon scent. Might be worth a look for anyone in Countdown over the weekend.
Macs
5351 posts
Hey Maree. I'll be due for some handwash soon. I'll check those out. I saw Jay and Sarah from my kitchen rules endorsing them on facebook. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Hey Amy I love your profile pic (off topic)
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Now sticking to the topic of this thread I myself like both drugstore & highend although as Kim mentioned drugstore eyeshadows need primers for good blending & to get good pigment performance. Unfortunately for me ny hg are highend such things as my fav cc cream is it cosmetics & my hg brow pencil is ABH brow definer I find for setting powder aswell is highend same for mascara but nyx does jumbo pencil well amongst other things & lip products I like colourpop & Revlon my foundations atm are drugstore fit me is a definite go to & I'm liking L'oreal also the brow plumper. I guess it is down to personal preference but there are good drugstore brands & unfortunately for us here in NZ any make up is pricey drugstore or highend unless we go for Jordana which is a good brand.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love earthwise...I love it even better when on special :-)
MareeB
5239 posts
I'll let you know how it goes Macs. I like the idea of Earthwise as an organic product Devoured, so I hope it's organic. Good products at the cheaper end are a delightful find :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Interesting. Sometimes it's not all about money though, it's about the experience.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!