Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How You Do Your Makeup Now vs How You Used to Do It

16 posts, 9 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
Me as a teen

Base - Mismatched powder foundation due to limited shade range caked on 
Eyebrows - Waxy black eyeliner/eyebrow pencil too dark or not at all
Eyes - Pencil or rectractible pencil black eyeliner lining the upper and lower waterlines which would smudge really fast so I was always touching it up, loads of eyeshadow packed on just the movable part of my lid which would promptly disappear when I opened my eyes (yep I actually used up entire eyeshadows trying to get them to show on my monolids) and crease half a hour later. I tried wearing mascara sometimes but everything smudged.
Cheeks - Nothing!
Lips - Sometimes lipliner, sometimes not. I pinky red or plum lippy all over and then sometimes a white cream eyeshadow sort of in the middle. I think lips was the part I would change up the most sometimes I wore gloss or neutrals too.

tannygirl
3392 posts
Me late teens 

Base - same mismatched powder foundation caked on
Eyebrows - same way I did it as my teens still using a crappy eyeliner/brow pencil
Eyes - Experimented with color eyeshadows found out those cheap and expensive eyeshadows creased really bad. Wore greens, blues, different shades of purple which was a change from my usual greys, browns and lavenders.
Cheeks - still nothing!
Lips - Experimented with reds found out orange tones really don't look the same on me as the girls on magazine covers. Tried other reds still too bright and went back to neutrals. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Me some years back (I had a very small collection of makeup for those years)
Base - Liquid foundation but still the wrong shade due to limited shade range
Eyebrows - Sometimes I do them and other times I don't because that black pencil sucks.
Eyes - I'm lining my waterlines the same way with the same rectractible Maybelline pencil and it smudges like always. Since all eyeshadows crease on me I pack on really neutral, nude barely seen on my skintone shades, I have this satin shade that I love. because that way when it creases it doesn't look so bad. I have discovered this eye base which helps a bit but it does fail me frequently. Mascara smudges as well.
Cheeks - I occasionally wear blush when I think I look tired. I was working really crazy shifts and so I wore it sometimes to make me look less dead in hopes I wouldn't get sent home. I have two colors a pink and an orange.
Lips - I have three lipsticks I rotate between one neutral, one plum, and one pink metallic shade. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
Me about 4 years ago

Base - A suits most skintones BB cream, set with loose powder, discovered finishing powders as well.
Eyebrows - Finally used a pencil that was the right shade and discovered I liked doing my brows, also discoverd brow gels and then powder.
Eyes - Got my first high end matte eyeshadow palette loved matte eyeshadows those things don't crease quickly. Loved cool tones, the more of a grey undertone the eyeshadow was the more I liked it. Collected lots of cooler toned eyeshadows. Discovered felt tip liquid liner and started doing winged liner, so frustrating but I liked the look so I did it everytime I did my makeup. Shimmery eyeshadows in the inner corner. Nude liner on the lower waterline.
Cheeks - Started applying blush regularly and some bronzer and a tiny bit of highlighter.
Lips - Grew that lippy collection experimented with different cool toned reds, pinks, fuschia, everything is cool toned. Heard of nudes. 
MareeB
5242 posts
I've pretty much done the same thing my whole life - eyeliner, foundation, mineral powder, blush, lip product. But since joining BR I have added things like primer and now highlighting drops, and I have a wide range of great quality products in my arsenal!
tabucutie
1811 posts
I've always been pretty basic. Generally just mascara and one eyeshadow(at a time), black liner in the waterline. My favorite early look I did about 9 years ago was green eyeshadow, mascara, false lashes, bright red lip and black contacts. I was in a mood that day, very loud makeup. Had work that day too, atleast people left me a lone. Felt amazing I think I picture somewhere, might post it if I can find it.

Today my makeup is more refined? I have found my foundation shade, use primer and setting spray, eye primer, more than one eyeshadow colour, blush, lip liners. Always been confident about lipsticks all shades. Not a glossy fan. Tried highlight today it was a fail, may be some months before I try again lol.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Me last year 
Base - Trying out different foundations different coverage options. Start trying to use concealer under my eyes regularly.
Eyebrows - I regularly use powder, pencil and gel.
Eyes - Out with the cool tones and in with the warm tones. I resent the cool toned quad in the my Kat Von D Shade and Light eyeshadow palette that used to be my fave. Love rusty, red toned browns. Decluttered alot of my cool toned eyeshadows and started buying warm toned palettes. Love gold tones into shimmer on the lids. Wing liner is still frustrating but essential. Start applying eyeshadow to my under eyes.
Cheeks - Late to the contour game but started doing it. Got really into blush, blush becomes the item I collect and hoard, followed by highlighters. Love a glowy highlight but dip my toe into the slightly stronger highlights.
Lips - Mainly into neutral and nude pinks, also love fuschia, steer away from browns, start liking corally nudes.

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I used to do thick black eyeliner,  mascara, eyeshadow,  foundation and powder. Now I only do bb cream or foundation and mascara, sometimes I powder sometimes I don't.
If I am going out for the night I will do my eyes. 
I prefer a natural look and I feel like I look better when my face is not plastered in makeup.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Me this year (Gosh I have so much makeup)

Base - Using up acquired foundations, I love a fuller coverage, satiny natural looking foundation, BB is my bestie if I'm wearing makeup in harsh daylight as it makes it more smooth and my sunscreen doesn't pill 

Eyebrows - Bold brows but seeing individual hairs is must, got really into my brows since changing my glasses frames to ones that have more of a cat eye since that really brings out my brows. Fiber brows is a new staple added to brow products. Love using it in the inner brow to fill things in and ad more texture to my brows. 

Eyes - Working on using up some of my palettes, love, love warm tones, also like that monochromatic full face look. A blended gradient of color on my eyes between my lids and eye brows is a must, my most boring looking palette full of a gradient of transition colors from MG is my fave. Winged liner is essential, trying to sometimes line my eyes with eyeshadow instead of liquid liner. Tubing mascara is essential as most mascaras smear. Shimmer on the lids sometimes just a matte highlight, but always shimmer on my inner corners.

tannygirl
3392 posts
Cheeks - Not so into contouring also I always contour my nose and like some bronzer on my forehead. But I love a nude blush on the cheek with a brighter pop of color blended on the apples and a glowy highlight. Need to use all the blushes I collected last year. Mainly into nude blushes and peachy coral shades.

Lips - I love pinky nudes and coral colors. I am not into browns at all and not into plums as much as used to. I occasionally wear reds. I do like fuschia. I mainly wear bullet lipsticks and lip crayons to liquid lipsticks and glosses. I love colors that brighten up my skin and face.

Just an extra step I do - I color back in the two main beauty spots on my face after my makeup finished since they are blurred by foundation. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I was actually just looking at some old photos the other day.

Teens: black eyeliner and pink lipgloss, sometimes face powder that was too orange.
Adult: Eyeshadow, eyeliner, correct shade concealer, foundation and powder, lipstick, mascara, blush. Then I've slowly perfected my brow and contouring game, added primer and setting spray. I also prefer to use brushes now. My skincare game has also improved significantly.
Macs
5351 posts
Teen: Bb cream , lip glosss. 

Me now: 

Face: Primer, foundation , Cream contour, Powder contour, highlighter , concealer, banana powder, setting spray

Brows: Brow promade, Brow mascara or Brow pencil

Eyes: Mascara, eye shadow primer, 5 different eye shadows blended, winged liner, eye liner 

Lips: Liquid matte , lip liner 

That’s my full every day work face . If I’m doing overnight I don’t wear make up.

EliseMM
120 posts
Tannygirl - what made you switch from cool toned to warm toned colours? Did you get accurate colour matching advice or just suddenly realised you are actually warm toned? 

I'm pretty certain I'm cool toned, but you're making me doubt myself now hahaha!
alikat
423 posts
Then: Bare Minerals Original foundation, their eyeshadows in the mini pots, lipstick - in the shade Parfait (which I wish they still made), Maybelline mascara in the green tube. Done. 

Now: colour corrector under eyes, Too Faced Peach Primer, Foundation. Tarte Shape Tape under the eyes and anywhere else, bake with too faced or laura mercier powder, blush, bronzer, highlight, fill in brows with brow wiz/pomade/gel, cut crease or smokey eye, hourglass mascara, hourglass ambient powder to finish, too faced setting spray. Lipstick liquid or fenty gloss bomb. I'm probably forgetting something. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Elise I got into warm toned eyeshadows when I started liking more of gradient of color on my eyes and found that cool tones took more work to look grounded on my warm skintone plus I used to think that cool tones would make my eyes look more brown, but they look black brown no matter what eyeshadow look I have. The closest I've come to making them look more brown was when I did warm brown eyeshadow look with a reddish brown and teal duochrome eyeshadow over that. 

My problem with mismatching foundation was when I was overseas I never got properly color matched. Alot of Asian cosmetics aren't made to match your skin color correctly, they're made to make people lighter and more the skin color they want to be. So I had like three shades to choose from. I never chose a cool toned foundation because I knew had warmer toned skin. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Back then -

Teens. Lipgloss. Tinted if I wasn’t scared of getting in trouble. Very occasional eyeliner/mascara. Tinted moisturiser. Had TERRIBLE skin and someone had warned me that makeup would make it worse

20s. black eyeliner, black mascara, lip gloss and at most bb cream or mineral powder (note: this was when I felt like there was no point trying coz I’d never be pretty). Skin was settling so starting to experiment.

now (30s). Arrived at  a makeup place I love and am happy with my face as well. GlamGlow glowstarter under foundation (currently obsessed with TooFaced Peach perfect) topped with translucent powder, under cheeks/chin and side of nose bronzer, blush, cheekbone and eyebrow arch highlighter, navy or black waterline liner, eyes fine either using pencils or 2-5 colours of shadow, black mascara, lipstick to tone in with shadow, often quite bold. Good skin - realised its to do with skincare and product type, not makeup as a whole 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!