Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How long do you give a product before giving up?

13 posts, 11 members
ChristineHoll
152 posts
How long do you ladies give a new product before giving up on it?

I recently bought the ABH contour kit and have been trying it out but honestly, I just can't make it work! It will be totally user error on my part, and that's ok, but I'm still really disappointed. The main issue at the moment is that none of the highlight shades seem to show up on my skin. I'll keep trying a few more times but I get the feeling that it's just going to get pushed aside and never used again.

So, how about you? How long do you give a product?
MareeB
5239 posts
Sometimes it goes to the back of the drawer after one use, other times I'll perservere for a bit. Not long though, my attention span and patience are very short...
Macs
5351 posts
For skincare I use it right till the jar is empty then decide. For make up its different again about 7 or 8 tries before I give up on it. I had high hopes for that contouring kit too. Have u watched any tutorial that use that kit? I've been watching videos every night to get inspiration.
Mila
1209 posts
It kind of depends for me, sometimes I will repeatedly try to use a product to get it to work for me especially if its something I've really wanted to try or something really expensive i'll try a million different ways.  But sometimes with skin care if something doesnt feel right on my skin or a really strong smell i'll get rid of it straight away and re home it :)
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Probably 4-5 times would be my limit. If I don't like something, I just won't use it. If I'm unsure then I'll keep trying it until I figure out a good way to use it, when possible. Maybe you could try using it as eyeshadow if it's not working out on your face? :)
ChristineHoll
152 posts
Macs - Yeah I've watched quite a few videos but it's just not really showing on my skin so I don't know how to fix it!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I'll use a product for awhile or use it up completely. It depends on the cost of the product an how bad the reactions is that I have to it. I used up all my Proactiv products even though my skin was irritated as I didn't want it to go to waste and I did have hopes that it would work at some point since it was pricey.
trudijoy
8375 posts
skincare I won't muck around with. if it's yucky-ing up my face, then buhbye. Ditto foundation. Makeup, hair stuff, and body stuff I'll persist and persist
Macs
5351 posts
 I talked about this with another girl cant remember who it was now..I have different shades of foundation which I blend with my blender to get the right colouring.  I notice theres a difference between the sponge and the brush.
Koni
444 posts
I'll spend a month or two trying to make it work if 1. It received rave reviews and 2. If I emptied my bank account to buy it.

I can generally get them to work for me but requires more effort. The only exception is skincare - if I react to it on day 1 it's gone the next day because of my sensitive skin.
Rezee
1964 posts
If its cheap, ill give it only a couple of chances. If I spent more on it then I would give it a really good go but if it still didnt work, then I sell it.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I gave a mascara three chances. After that I binned the hideous thing.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Different products have different tolerance, for example if you try something in the skincare range that is meant to show visible effects after a number of days I give it them days plus a week for good grace before I give it my verdict, however if it has advise effects on me that it shouldn't I would give up there and then.  For makeup I always give them all 2-3 applications just incase there is something in the formula that has settle or something.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!