Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Expired liquid foundation .

15 posts, 9 members
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Does anyone know if liquid foundations have a expiry date? Or an idea how long they last?
trudijoy
8375 posts
like all makeup it should have a wee number in a box somewhere on the product. This has an explanation and there is a guide here to how long products last xx

I'm fastidious about this after getting a stye.  I throw things away rather than use them expired now.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Cool thank you will check it out. I'm clearing out some makeup and didn't realise I had soo many foundations lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
i hear ya! Those backups stack up, hey?
Macs
5351 posts
Good question Toni. I have two I've been holding on for dear life but I need to let them go. I think I seperation issues with my foundations lol 
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Lol I just threw out 2 foundations after reading the info on the link and I think I only used them once :(
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I just splurged on the estee lauder double wear foundation, can't wait to try it. I binned the revlon colourstay which is apparently a dupe for it.
Macs
5351 posts
Omg that is a splurge. I hope you like it. Let me know how it goes. Its been on my wishlist for ages.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
That good question. I have some makeup stash to shorted out for some new goodies. 

Macs your profile pic. You looking bomb.. 
Rezee
1964 posts
Yes, what Trudi says. If they are unopened they should be ok still though. I personally go by how they smell and if the formula remains the same. If it changes or smells weird, I'll stop using it.
Macs
5351 posts
Rajvee come on snapchat. Its just a snappy filter. With a bit of make up. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Most make-up and cosmetics have either an expiry date printed on them or a picture of a little open jar with a number inside it, reflecting the expiry date after date of opening.  I find it best to write the date that I opened the product somewhere on the label or bottle (using a sharpie) so that I remember when I opened it.

Obviously, if a product starts to separate, the formula changes or it starts to smell different, rather replace it than risk using an expired product.

Some other general guidelines for replacing make-up and cosmetics are as follows:

Blush : cream                   6 to 12 months
Blush : powder                 18 months
Brushes                            Can last for years.
                                         Wash weekly & dry completely before storing
Concealer                         6 to 12 months
Eye shadow : cream         6 to 12 months
                                         (some may last 12 to 18 months)
Eye shadow : powder       18 months
Eyeliner : liquid                6 months or less (if it smells strange, replace it)
Eyeliner : pencil               3 to 5 years
                                        (sharpen frequently to remove bacteria)
Foundation : liquid           6 to 12 months
Foundation : oil based     18 months
Lip liner : pencil               3 to 5 years
                                        (sharpen frequently to remove bacteria)
Lip Gloss                         1 year (if becomes extra sticky, replace it)
Lipstick                           1 to 2 years (if it smells rancid, replace it)
Mascara                          3 to 6 months (if is smells strange, replace it)
Moisturisers                    1 to 2 years (check for expiry date or symbol)
Powder                           up to 2 years
Sponges                         Wash weekly, replace monthly 

tannygirl
3392 posts
I know I should be better at tossing out things when they expire but the only makeup product I'm a stickler for tossing out on time is mascara. When it comes to skincare I am more strict about that especially when it comes to sunscreen. Of course if I use an old powder and I break out it gets binned. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
This post prompted me to throw out a lip gloss today. Lol, baby steps!
2lilmnkys
106 posts
A good thread. My foundation runs out quickly as I use it everyday but I do have unopened ones as a back up. But I guess I do have some old eyeshadows that I need to throw out.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!