Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ever bought something that is just too beautiful to use?

39 posts, 30 members
alikat
423 posts
I recently got my hands on a Clinique Cheek Pop in Plum and its just too gorgeous - it's like a work of art. And the packaging is cute too. Anyone else struggled with using something that is just too beautiful?

Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Aaargh! They look so beautiful! I want one, or 5...

I love using my Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette, but then I hate it at the same time as it's just so beautiful and I don't want to ruin the perfect little mounds of powder. Such confliction. I still use it though, tehe.
Cesy
162 posts
Sarah I came to say pretty much the same thing. I am still treating mine with kid gloves!

Basically using any palette for the first time is an anxious moment- so pretty so fresh and clean, but they've got to be used!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have a Versace pressed powder compact still untouched in the original box, from when they were first released in the 1990s. I don't think I ever intended to use it but bought it as a collectors item. They stopped production a few years ago. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Haha, sorry Cesy! But you're right, I'm not spending $89 on a palette to never use it...I'm going to use every little scrap of that thing, and I will love every moment of it!

Soozie, that's some intense will power!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sarah, the powder is embossed with the Versace emblem so I definitely couldn't bring myself to destroy it. It's so old now that I wouldn't want to put it on my face lol. But I've never had the satisfaction of powdering my nose with it in public. 
Macs
5351 posts
I do like cliniques packaging its too cute. No I haven't got anything just sitting. I like to use my products.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have never had something that I haven't used because it was too beautiful... BUT I bought something just because it was beautiful, the Maison Lancome blush. It is beautiful with a wee parisian street imprinted on it. And it was uber expensive. So I used it because I believe that everyday is a special day worth using special products.... and it is crap!

Funny you guys talking about that Hourglass palette. I have just hit pan on my Hourglass Ambient Lighting powder in diffused light! So excited!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Agreed Kirsty as now I wish I'd had the pleasure of using such a beautiful object and I would've found a way of refilling the compact somehow. Now it just sits there, too old to use. Arghh! Should've bought too lol. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Soozie - I guess you now have it to stare at forever :)

That's so exciting Kirsty! I'm slightly jealous lol. Are you going to re-purchase when you run out?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sarah, it sat in storage for years so at least it is now sat on my bedroom drawers lol. 
Koni
444 posts
Nope like Kirstyj everyday is a special day so if I'm spending big bucks on an item no doubt I'll be sporting it the next day. Bummer to hear about the Maison Lancome blush :-(
kirstyj
1732 posts
Eventually Sarah I'm planning on getting the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette (to match the blush one :P , so I'm going to see how I feel about that before repurchasing the Diffused Light. I do love it though. They are amazing products. Don't ask me what they do, they just do whatever it is well.
kirstysays
762 posts
I have this struggle haha I eventually take the plunge and use the pretty things, but, for a little while its nice to just admire them haha
MissQT
1547 posts
I was like that with my MAC lippy. I was so excited to get then scared to use it as I would ruin the 'perfect' shape and condition it was in haha
trudijoy
8375 posts
I don't save things for 'good' any more. Every day I get to use lovely things is 'good' :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Nope, I don't save things for good anymore as you end up never using them and that's such a waste. I just have more things than I can use right now. 
Cat
474 posts
As soon as I get something I at least swatch it! I can't control myself!
I also use everything. Life's to short to save something for good. Use now and enjoy :-) x
KimberleyMarie
16 posts
I struggled to use the Bobbi Brown shimmer brick and my YSL and Dior lipsticks, just because they look so lovely when they're all fresh and new! But I got over it pretty quickly, haha... no use spending all that money if I'm not even going to wear it. 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Well i recently brought the Charlotte Tilbury bronze and sculpt duo (i think its called that) and its so pretty from the box it comes in to the product itself, it was pretty hard to even swatch it
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yes as I am a sucker for the pretty things.  Tarte blusher in the limited edition tartlettes collection called celebrated it is so pretty but the engraved surface goes down pretty deep and you only need a faint dusting to get a good cover of colour so hopefully it will keep pretty for a long time.   Both of my Too Faced Soul Mates blushing bronzers are so cute with the swirls, love heart and too faced logo printed into the powder.  Physican Formula bronzer in Paris, it has the Paris skyline embossed into it then dusted with a loose gold powder with the words Paris on it, I tried it out lightly and the gold started to move so I closed it up and put it back as I don't want it to lose that pretty effect.   it Cosmetic naturally pretty palette each eyeshadow has it printed into the shadow that looks so cute.  Too Faced Candlelight Glow as it has a very detailed chandlier on the powder which does fade gradually as you use it.  Hourglass ambient light palette I hate distrubing the little mounds of powder as they are uniquely swirled with a blend of colours per powder.  All the colourpop shadows and blushes, that cute litle scale effect on the top doesn't last long as its so creamy in texture.  I'm sure there is others but I can't think of the top of my head I need to be in front of them all....good excuse to go home??
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I use everything! Those Clinique cheek pop blushes are very pigmented though, so they will keep that flower shape for ages Alikatnz
Julieal
915 posts
I have had lovely soaps in flower shapes  and I hate using them to spoil the shape.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Honestly I don't think so... if I had those galaxy eyeliners with the sprayover from Milani I would definitely not touch them. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I haven't but I learnt the opposite from my mum, she kept some very nice collector plates, perfume, etc in protective packaging and hidden in a drawer, never to really enjoy them. She was raised if it is important to you to keep it hidden and safe.
After hoarding for a few years it is now a case of use it and make the most of it for myself.
MareeB
5239 posts
I have Avon soaps in a jar that I've had for years because they're so pretty. I worked at (now defunct) McLeods in Dunedin where they made them for a while in the 80s and my arms were always covered in allergy rashes - God knows what's in the mixture!!! they were really hard to work with because the soap itself was soft and pliable and didn't retain it's shape very well. Probably one of the reasons why it was so expensive, the waste was horrendous.
Lutece
1849 posts
That is understandable i would be the same if i had the beautiful clinque blushes, i was like that when i first got my ABH contour palette i didnt want to discolour the edges, now im like meh lol
Danni
324 posts
I've put off using something cause its so nice but never have I not used something because I think it's to nice 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Remember that article BR had about keeping thing for best, well now I enjoy using my beautiful things
Ngahew
152 posts
I think that every day that you are breathing is a special day and nothing should be kept for good! Use your beautiful items because YOU are special and beautiful!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I give new beautiful things a day to look and admire them, then it's over done and dusted opened and enjoyed and used, I always think I buy them to use not to look at, and just like chocolate if the wrappers open eat it, it might go off. 
alikat
423 posts
I used to be that person who kept things for the best occasions, and now I'm like, damnit, I spent good money buying XYZ so I'm going to use it and make my life more fabulous each and every single damn day. And this applies to my makeup and my handbags!
Rezee
1964 posts
No, I love using my good stuff. But in saying that, I only really have high end eyeshadow palettes and eyeshadow lasts for so long that it doesnt bother me to use it everyday. If I had a mac lipstick though, I could imagine myslf never wanting to use it up. I think overall though, I like to get my moneys worth out of products but I do appreciate the beautiful patterns and packaging of products.
Rania-alani90
106 posts
Hahaha I can definitely relate... Every time I buy something that's too pretty to use, that's exactly what actually happens - I just don't use it and normally it expires or becomes just too blah to use.. oh the psychology behind it all!
george
150 posts
Eep, my partner would kill me if he really knew how much makeup I haven't touched yet because I think it's too pretty to use.. But I'm even worse with clothes! Gah!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I recently spend $35 on a sweater dress and the first time I wore it, it snagged on something, so I didn't want to wear it again unless I was going out. But I kind of like the odd hole and ripped thread because it looks kind of grungy so now I don't mind. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
WMUA that always happens to me!! I have a stupid charm on my MHJ bracelet and as its a tiny key it catches on EVERYTHING. I've ruined soooo many jerseys and dresses. It's so very, very sad. 
roteone
42 posts
I'm sucker for packaging and beautiful things! I especially love palettes. I will buy makeup and love how it looks and refuse to use it, then I get a reality check of how much it cost and use it! :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!