Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Buying online

16 posts, 14 members
fairyfluff
19 posts
Hey ladies and gents. I have recentely started buying more and more online however I'm really anxious about buying makeup online incase it doesn't suit my skintone or I get a eyebrow product / foundation / concealer that doesn't match my skin perfectly.
How do you guys get around this?
The Sephora in the USA allows customers to return products that they didn't like, are you able to do this in NZ and what's the story with that?

Thank you all.
PS Glad to be here, I'm a newbie :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I've never returned a product but when it comes to buying stuff like foundations, bb creams and concealor and stuff. I prefer to go to actual makeup counters and get matched and take a sample home if I can. I generally stick to brands that I can swatch. I think there is a site where you can find dupes based on shades you already use but I haven't found it completely reliable but then I seem to have a hard time finding my exact shade, even though alot of shades are workable for me. 
   For other things that aren't as finicky colorwise like eyeshadow, blush, mascara, eyeliner, etc. I just look up swatches and check Temptalia to see if I have a dupe for that shade already and then I look up reviews and stuff. I haven't tried returning products to Sephora.nz so I can't tell what the process is. But when I wrote their customer service about a few minor issues that I had, it took a really long time for them to answer back and actually do anything and even then they didn't do anything just acknowledge my concern. So you can try returning a product but it might take a really long time for them to get back to you and refund you. Other people have had more positive experiences dealing with them though. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
To be honest I just don't really buy online. About all I've got online is lip balms from iherb, and I'd already tried the brands so it was pretty risk free.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm not a big online fan either  crystal, love searching and smelling and deciding. But I'm spoiled living in Akl and travelling lots; I have that option. Exceptions are Mecca Maxima,  Sephora and Ethique but like you it's usually stuff I know I love
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I live and breathe online shopping. Country gal here so it's the most convenient way for me and I can stay in my pj's lol.
Usually if if I'm unsure in a product is the correct colour for me I won't do it, I'll make that special trip to make sure I get the correct product. However I'm pretty confident in my own foundation undertones and what colours work for me. If it's anything of high value I have to be 100% sure it's worth the buy. Safe items for me perfumes, eye products, palettes, lippies, blush, bronzer, highlighters, contours etc.
Foundation can be tricky if you're not confident in what matches your skin.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Although there are a range of malls,shopms and centres where I live, I do prefer online shopping. It's convenient,no judgemental, feels like an treat & semi doesn't effect my home life. I often do it late at night though or early morning as a self indulgento type of thing. A reward to myself.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love online shopping! If I puchase something I don't like or doesn't suit me I usually give it to my mum or one of my friends. I can spend literally hours browsing online, I love it....my credit card hmmmm not so much.
Macs
5351 posts
I love shopping online. I have returned something that was damaged. I paid postage for it to be sent back. I havent purchased from Sephora yet. 
Imoshen
461 posts
It's been a long time since I've purchased anything from Sephora USA and I'm not sure if NZer's still can (something about the credit card billing address).  You could always try getting it sent through Youshop.

Sephora based in Singapore will ship here but the brands and product range isn't as big as Sephora USA.

I did once order some nail polish's for my sister in law but they are considered a hazardous item so Youshop stopped them and asked me what I wanted to do with them.  I had them sent back and a credit was processed.  Was quite easy.

I've never purchased something I wanted to return after receiving it though as all my purchases are thoroughly researched beforehand.

I buy all my skincare online but not my cosmetics.
SoBeautyStuff
25 posts
findation.com is a life saver for helping you find your shade in different brands, based on the shades you currently use. You can also go and get matched in Mecca or Mac in popular foundations (and ask for samples) so that you can get a good feel for your shade average (warm/cool/neutral and fair/light/medium/dark).

Buying online saves so much money, and I rarely have a bad experience. If it's a particularly pricey product, and you're worried about the risk, you will usually be able to make most of it back by selling on TraeMe. 

I once bought a Jeffree Star lipstick which all in cost me around $40NZD, I hated the shade, so I listed it on TradeMe, stating I'd used it, and it sold for $30!

Good luck! :)
JessB
219 posts
I really like buying online also, however am also really careful about colour-matching. Most of the time if I do get anything that doesn't suit my skin tone I'll give it to one of my sisters. Sephora's terms of returns are here - the main thing is that you'll get a credit back rather than money back. Haven't tried it myself yet. 
I don't think I'd be brave enough to purchase foundation online.  The only time I have is through RoVie, because I purchased samples in a range of colours first, to choose the colour that was right for me.  
Marcel
335 posts
I buy the majority of my makeup online and it can be a bit of a gamble, or maybe even a complete gamble. I guess you gotta ask yourself 'am I willing to take that risk'?

Plenty of times I've bought makeup online and found that It's not suitable for me, especially with the likes of product s that really need to match your skin tone - foundation, bb, concealer.

Unless you've physically swatched a product and know that it'll be sweet to then go purchase online (bar parallel imported products), then there will always be the element of gamble. Most retailers whether physical of online won't accept returns when it comes to makeup products, doing so could present a range of health & safety/ ethical issues.
Macs
5351 posts
I had a gamble recently I brought a foundation off a site. I just went off swatches online. Luckily I got it cheap. When I tried it , it was far too light. I need some darkening drops. I don't think I will gamble on foundation again.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i feel you re Sephora Imoshen, the NZ (via Singapore) site is almost always sold out of damn near everything....
Neddy
11 posts
Hello,

I buy makeup online now approx 99 percent of the time! It took me a while to get the courage to do so because of the fear of it now being right but here in NZ you can return anything if you get it and it doesnt look like the right colour! Easy as. I use websites like Sephora and Mecca and they are awesome and give a wide range of nice high end and affordable brands. Hope this helps.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!