Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Alcohol Free Setting Spray Recommendations?

10 posts, 4 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    So I haven't ventured much into the world of setting sprays. I've used like two setting sprays one from Tarte and Mac Fix+. I'm anyone has an recommendations on a setting spray that:

1. Holds makeup in place.

2. Has a fine mist till the end of the bottle. None of that caught in the rain look or white dots. 

3. Is alcohol free. (Since I don't like to use one with alcohol every day and the ones with alcohol evaporate so quickly.)

4. Isn't too pricey for the ammount you get. I don't mind spending around 50 bucks on a good reliable setting spray the ticks the boxes, but if it's a 30-75ml bottle it's kinda expensive for the long term.

Would love recommendations.

EliseMM
120 posts
My mind immediately went to the cult classic - Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray. But looking at the ingredients, it does contain denatured alcohol. If denatured still works for you, then I really can't recommend it enough. I am absolutely devoted to this stuff! 

If you have a Mecca store near you then the lovely ladies there will happily help you test it out. Otherwise you can buy a travel size for $26 which will give you 30ml.
EliseMM
120 posts
I just did a quick search for the ingredients in the Too Faced Hangover 3 in 1 Primer/Setting Spray. It doesn't contain alcohol!

I have the Hangover Primer by Too Faced, and it does a pretty good job. No better or worse than other primers, but definitely hydrating. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Labmuffin has a good article on why most setting sprays contain alcohol and how they work:
https://labmuffin.com/make-setting-sprays-work-guide/

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Ugh, I had to start another post. Not only can I not put a nice short link in, everything I then typed afterwards also looked like a link (I’m using an iPad and have never been able to use the link function on here properly). 

Anyways.......I’ve had a sample of Urban Decay All Nighter. I found the spray on it a bit ‘spurty’  I’ve also used the Mecca Cosmetica setting spray and that has a super fine spray (so much so, I’ve kept the bottle for refilling). I’m currently using the NYX one I got in the vault. Again, it’s quite spurty. I think all of thse contain alcohol of some sort. I don’t find any of them drying though. I preferred the MC out of the three, although it is quite fragranced. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
You’ll have to do some research yourself to see if it fits all your criteria (I go off whether I like using it...) but I’m all about GlamGlow GlowSetter. It’s freaking amazing. 

Second place is Too Faced Hangover spray 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Interesting link soozie - I always assumed the alcohol was to get it to mist on without the heaviness of water... like the mario sprays I have are heavier and I use them as skincare not setting spray, but the GlamGlow is defo a mistier setting spray and I assumed it had alcohol in it bc of that
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
How fine the mist is mostly depends on the mister on the bottle itself. That’s why I always keep the better ones so I can decant the contents of heavier misters into them. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
That makes sense! Like I said I just go off if I like it lol... the science of it Ll tends to confuse or bore me depending on my mood 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I might just try a travel size of the UD All Nighter. I have my sister's wedding coming up and I need something that will hold my makeup on for 10 hours.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!