I would go as far as to say, when it comes to scented candles we know our stuff.
If you're wondering why as a beauty site we're rather obsessed by scented candles, allow me to fill you in. The right scented candle will not only fragrance your home, it will create a peaceful atmosphere. It will enhance the ambiance and allow you to feel comfortable and relaxed. The right scented candle will bring beauty to your daily life.
BUT you gotta be burning the right kind of candle. Ditch the cheap paraffin candles and discover the joy of soy!
Once you begin your soy candle journey, you'll never look back. Cheap or poorly made candles will no longer suffice!
So what's wrong with paraffin candles then?
It's important to note, as the National Candle Association points out, that; 'To date, no peer-reviewed scientific study has ever collected or analyzed any emissions data on any candle wax, including petroleum-based paraffin, and proven them to be harmful to human health'
However, there are genuine concerns to regularly burning paraffin wax.
- Paraffin is a petrochemical - it's a by-product (technically from the sludge waste...eww) of turning oil into petrol. It is bleached and the smell is removed, chemically.
- When burned, paraffin wax produces benzene and toluene - known carcinogens. The toxins released from scented candles are the same toxins in diesel fuel fumes. (On a smaller scale though) One study compares the emissions of a scented candle to second hand cigarette smoke.
- And one University of Michigan study found that 30% of candles tested emitted lead! Presumably from the wicks, which although should be made from paper or cotton, but on cheaper imported candles, often contain lead.
So what should I burn instead?
The Beauty Crew LOVE soy candles. Here's why:
- There's no petro-chemicals like paraffin based candles, and so they burn clean, with no soot or co2 emissions.
- Soy burns at a low temperature and more slowly than paraffin, meaning soy candles burn for longer - around 30-50% longer than the same size paraffin candle.
- They are naturally biodegradable and non-toxic.
- Soybeans are renewable.
- Soy is quite cheap compared to other non-petro based candles, such as beeswax.
- The lower melting point means soy candles hold their scent - stronger and longer.
But aren't fancy candles expensive?
NO! Quality doesn't mean costly when it comes to candles. For example, our latest obsession is the Essano Home range. Their candles are proudly NO GMOs, NO Petrochemicals, NO Artificial Colours, NO Phthalates, and vegan friendly and cruelty free. Oh, and the scent-throw is phenomenal!
Essano Home candle prices start at just $14,99 for a 30 hour candle or you can get a 60 hour candle for just $24.99!