By BR Tabatha
Finding ways to become more environmentally friendly has been on the Beauty Review Crew's mind lately. We've been remembering to take our reusable bags to the supermarket. There's been some serious decluttering. Everything that can be recycled has been. The phasing out of single-use plastic bags saw us cheer, then quickly figure out how to stop the rubbish bin leaking and stinking. It's a grand time we're living in. We've a chance to stop trashing Mother Nature's work, and we're doing what we can. It may be small steps, but we like to think enough small steps by enough people can lead to big changes. So what can you do to clean up your beauty routine right now?
Image: Oh Natural
Choose to Reuse
How many one-use beauty products are you using a year? How many cotton balls or rounds do you toss out after a quick wipe and swipe? If you're wanting to reduce your beauty footprint reusable options are available.
- Swap cotton rounds for washable cotton rounds.
- Invest in rewashable makeup remover pads or snap up makeup remover cloths.
- Try a menstrual cup or washable pads and ditch tampons and/or pads.
With all the rain we've had this year it sure feels like there's an infinite source of clean water, but there's not, and it's important for us to reduce our water usage wherever we can.
- Long showers are bliss, but they're unnecessary and can easily be trimmed back.
- Use a beauty sponge? Rather than running the tap and squeezing and rinsing to get it nice and damp, fill a cup of water and dip it in that to plump it up (then use the remnants to water a pot plant!) .
- Cleaning teeth and cleansing your face is a must, but do turn off the tap while you're brushing or massaging.
Make Better Buying Decisions
How many products do you have sitting around not being used, destined to end up being thrown out to clutter up a landfill once they're past their use-by date? How many products aren't recyclable? So what can you do right now to ensure you're giving the environment a big loving cuddle?
- Keep your makeup, skincare and haircare collection simple. Only buy what you need and what you'll use.
- Buy makeup that multi-tasks eg. a lip and cheek tint, or an eyeshadow that doubles as highlighter.
- Pass on products you don't use to those who will (shampoos/conditioners/moisturisers/santisable makeup).
- Use every bit of the product before repurchasing.
- Check to make sure what you're purchasing is recyclable.
- Support beauty companies with sustainable policies.
A little change can make a big difference, and we'd love to see this wonderful place we inhabit remain in tip top condition for generations to come.