Article by BR Tabatha
It’s finally the beginning of a new year, which means apart from recovering from holiday feasting and traveling, it’s time to set some New Years resolutions that’ll ultimately make you live a healthier, happier life. As beauty fanatics, we couldn’t resist taking “New Years resolutions” to a whole other level. From cleaning out those ancient makeup products from your collection to committing yourself to removing your makeup every night before bed, we’ve rounded up 10 beauty-related New Years resolutions that’ll help you reveal the best you yet! Best part? They’re easy to do and won’t cost you a cent!
1. Drink 2 litres of water a day. We know, we know. You’ve heard it from everyone, including your mother, doctor, and everyone in between, that drinking the proper amount of water a day is key to your health. But did you know that drinking good ol’ H2O has its fair share of beauty benefits, too? Apart from making your skin appear hydrated and radiant, water also purifies your body from the inside out, making you look and feel energized.
2. Clean out your makeup collection. It may be difficult to part ways with your first ever tube of mascara or that expensive bottle of foundation, but checking up on your products’ expiration dates and giving your collection a cleaning every once in a while is an absolute beauty must. Depending on the type of makeup product, makeup has a shelf life of anywhere from 2 months to 3 years. Wondering if it’s time to ditch a product? Check out this handy article on expiration dates.
3. Take off your makeup every single night. Oftentimes the last thing you feel like doing after a long night out is taking off your makeup (hey, we’ve all been there). But the next time those eyeshadow-covered lids begin to dose off, remember that sleeping with your makeup on can clog your pores, resulting in unwelcomed facial visitors creeping up on your skin the next morning. Keep acne and breakouts at bay by getting beauty sleep the right way. Use makeup towelettes to make removing makeup a breeze.
4. Step out of your comfort zone. The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to step out of your comfort zone and try out a new makeup look. Whether you’ve always wanted to perfect a cat eye or you simply want to amp up your look with some contouring and highlighting, visit a cosmetic counter in your area and ask them to help you figure out what type of look best suites you. Most makeup counters will do this free of charge, so take advantage and let your daring side shine through!
5. Get a mammogram. If you’re over the age of 45, make it a resolution to get a mammogram this year. Part of being a beautiful woman is keeping up with your health checks and making sure you’re well from the inside out. Breast Screening Aoteoroa offers free national breast checks for women between the ages of 45 to 60. Visit their website here for more information.
6. Get a proper bra fitting. Think you’re the same 12DD you were when you got your first ever bra fitting? Think again! Make sure you’re wearing the right bra by getting a proper bra fitting. Whether you’ve got a large bust or a small one, knowing what your correct bra size is will get you one step closer to finding that Holy Grail bra you’ve been looking for. Check out our guide to Bras here.
7. Apply SPF every day—rain or shine. Failing to protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun can do more than cause skin cancer: it can cause age spots, sunspots, discoloration, and wrinkles. Don’t have time to spend applying yet another product on your skin? Make things easier on yourself by choosing a moisturizer that already has SPF built into it. This way, you’re killing two birds with one stone by hydrating your skin and protecting it at the same time.
8. Clean your makeup brushes once a week. It may seem like a daunting task having to clean your makeup brushes once a week, but the fact of the matter is that the more you use your makeup brushes, the more bacteria builds up on them. The result? Acne, breakouts, and redness. Wash your makeup brushes at least once a week by rinsing the bristles under lukewarm water and using baby shampoo to squeeze out any product buildup. For brushes you use to apply liquid products, first dip it in some olive oil to loosen up the product and make it easier to clean.
9. Shampoo your hair every 2 to 3 days. Avoid shampooing your hair every single day, as this can strip your strands of its natural oils and make it appear dry and unruly. Instead, opt for shampooing every 2 to 3 days to keep natural oils sealed in. And if you find that your hair looks like a greasy mess if not washed every day, try using a dry shampoo to freshen it up between washes.
10. Exfoliate your skin once a week. Get rid of acne-causing dead skin cells by exfoliating your skin once a week. Do this on your face and body in the shower by applying a pea-sized amount into the palm of your hand, lathering it onto your skin with a bit of lukewarm water, and gently rubbing your skin with it. Remember not to go overboard with exfoliating, as over-exfoliating can strip your skin and cause irritation.
So there you have it, how hard can it be?!
Committing yourself to a New Years resolution can be a difficult task, but it’s important to remind yourself that it only takes 21 days to form a habit, so if you get into a healthy routine, it will become part of your lifestyle.
Some come on tell us, anyone game to take on some of these and report back in to say if they’ve stuck to them?