Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - Low Carb/Keto

47 posts, 9 members
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey ladies. After hitting a plateau with my weightloss lately I have decided to go low carb. I have heard a lot of great things about keto and wondering if anyone else does this and could give me some tips for starting out? Cheers :-)
MareeB
5244 posts
Hey Lisa doing low carb (8 week blood sugar diet) did awesome for me for months. I fell off the wagon after having visitors staying with me and am really struggling to get back on. Once you get in the swing of it, make sure you never touch any sugar again, because once you do you're hooked again. It's a tough addiction to break away from.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm not all that familiar with Keto but to lose weight I try to cut out all sugars and processed foods i.e. no bread, rice, pasta or any of those kinds of foods and drink a lot of smoothies, and eat as many leafy greens and vegetables/fruits as possible.  I did the Body Trim program and lost 18 kgs on it doing what I said above. I also aim to get 10,000 steps in daily and drink 2-3 litres of water.

Although I am human so do fall of the band wagon lol, but because I know what works for me, I can just go back to it and get back on track.

Sometimes when we plateau, we need to jump start our metabolism, so going on a detox for 3-5 days is a good way to do this. 

Hope this helps :-)

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks for the advice ladies. Maree fortunately I am not a big sugar addict the hardest part will be the no bread and pasta lol. I got my groceries today and got rid of everything I won't be able to eat so I am not tempted so I guess I will see how I go :-)
@mumof3 keto is limiting carbs to under 20grams a day and upping fat. Everything you said is what you need to do although certain fruit and vege are a no go. I have done a lot of research and feel this will be beneficial for me. I have an app which tracks carbs and it is crazy to see how high some things actually are.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ahhh I get you. Yes some vege and fruit are a no go. I try to limit peas, carrots and corn to 2-3 times a week and look for the fruit/vegies that are high in antioxidants and iron like spinach/kale and blueberries/acai berries.

I joined a subscription service called Blend it Raw not sure if you have heard of it, but they supply smoothie ingredients for 10 smoothies a week and include things like Chia Seeds, Flaxseeds etc.  I will receive my first one on Wednesday but they are custom making me one because of my congenital hypothyroidism (born without a thyroid) as there are certain foods I can't have.

I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested :-)
MareeB
5244 posts
It was the opposite for me Lisa. I can live without bread and pasta mostly, its cakes and sweets I struggle with. Yep, my diet says no starchy veg and the only fruit is apples and pears (restricted to a low level) and berries - no restriction. And lots of lean protein and fats - like avocado, nuts, eggs, and good oils. It's a great diet and I feel like a million bucks and sleep like a baby when I stick to it. It's kicking the sugar habit that I find so hard.
Julieal
915 posts
I believe in the old adage a little of everything. If you try to cut something out you crave it however if you set a little of everything food does not become such a big thing and you feel better.
Macs
5351 posts
Hey Lisa, 

On facebook there's keto diet groups on there. In keto you can still eat dairy just no veges grown under ground. Above ground only. I looked into it and was considering it.

At the moment A normal day of eating is five meals a day. Breakfast is a smoothie always aftermy run. Mid morning snack is fruit/raw vege or bliss ball.Lunch is fruit salad with coconut yoghurt or a smoothie or chicken salad. Dinners are always salmon, Chicken or vegan sausage with veges. I do low carb too and it does work.

I notice the more I loose the harder it is to loose. To date I've lost 23.9 kg. I tweak my food
switch it up every now and then. I have fallen off the wagon heaps. This week I ate dirty (mainly carbs) I've been battling the flu. Tommorow I'm ready to get back into my routine. I've been stuck at my current weight for two months. I know I need to change something in my diet again. Goodluck on your journey Xx

Ps I use My Net Diary App to track my food and exercise. There's many others you could try like this.

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
@mumof3 that sounds cool. I love smoothies and have one everyday.
@maree haha yea I am definately more savoury.
@Macs well done that is a great amount. I have lost 40kg so far but them bam it has stalled that is why I am going to try this and see if it helps break my plateau.
MareeB
5244 posts
Well done ladies, your weight losses are inspirational! it's hard when there's food and food advertising everywhere you look. Keep up the good work :)
JessB
219 posts
Hi Lisa, I've been going low carb as well as calorie counting with the My Fitness Pal app (I find it good to take into consideration exercise as well as calories). Though my low carb is different in I've cut out complex carbs i.e. breads, pasta etc, and am allowing myself simple carbs i.e. sugar (but while staying away from junk food). So that way I'm not cutting out vege and fruit. I find the combo of the counting and low carb works really well because I can map what amount of protein & fat etc I'm having.  

Maree - I'm the same, I don't eat a lot of bread that often so it was a bit easier for me to go on the low carb. However I do crave pasta every now and then. And I have a sweettooth! Though I have found that after a while of not having much sugar allowing yourself something naturally sweet (like berries) can hit the spot. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey Jess. I use MFP too I love it and love how I can track all my macros. I will try for all carbs and if it is too much will ease up a bit. Day 2 and feeling good. Have heard people get keto flu so hoping I don't lol..
swamphen
73 posts
I've been eating a ketogenic diet for 8 months and have lost 15 kgs. It takes dedication and self control... I have learnt that cafes and restaurants ARE really flexible when in comes to menu adjustments.

Some great you tubers I follow with advice are:
Ask nurse Cindy, and Eric Berg
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Nice work swamphen. I am pretty dedicated to this but I will give it 2 weeks and make sure it is something I can maintain. Cool I will have a look at that. Google is definately my friend at the moment. I have read lots of great advice.
trudijoy
8375 posts
woohoo go ladies! I'm embarking on a mission to lose ten kg by xmas-ish and hopefully be in amazing shape for hawaii so I can spend the week in a bikini again haha.

I lost 30kg in 2013 so I know how to do it, but I haven't been doing it. not lazy, not anything like that, just other priorities.

I can't restrict food groups - I have a serious blood disorder (hypothyroidism) and am best to eat balanced, with a bit of everything. Too little fat makes me as ill as too much. I also have struggled in the past with an ED and so my relationship with food needs to be that i'm enjoying it, otherwise I simply stop eating.

With that in mind, and the warmer weather, I'm shifting to fresh foods but paired with cheese, oils, avocado, nuts and counting calories (because I know that works for me)

I've restarted the re-loss a million times, but you have to be in the right headspace to lose weight, and fingers x'd i am now. Ironically, i'm happy with who i am and how i look now, but i miss fitting in to some of the clothes in my wardrobe, and i miss feeling at peak
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh and i use MFP too, it's excellent
Kimrose
1419 posts
You are so right Trudi, being in the right headspace means you are ready for anything.  I am in that headspace right now and enjoying it.  Back at the gym, eating more of the right foods and less of the bad.  We are going to Fiji in October so want to be beach ready.

Good luck ladies 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
That is a great goal Trudi. I am sure you will rock that bikini anyway. I would like to join a gym Kim but I work weird hours so don't know where I could fit it in. I really want to do boxing classes.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oooh that's exciting Kim! I'm sure you'll look great on the beach - and feel great too!
Kimrose
1419 posts
Lisa, the gym I go to is right next door to my apartment so I have no excuses
Kimrose
1419 posts
Maree, I am hoping to be looking ok for the beach.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
So today is day 7 of my keto diet. Weigh in day and I have lost 4kg. Pretty stoked about that. I feel great. Have been eating lots and no exercise. Will continue on and see how the next week goes. It is definately easy and I have not had any cravings.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
That is a fantastic result Lisa-Lou, well done hun xx

For me, my highlight was getting into a pair of size 10 jeans yesterday, something I haven't been able to do for a long time.  They were a tad tight but if I carry on with what I'm doing now, they will be comfortable soon hopefully.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Nice work! I don't think I have ever been a size 10 lol.
Macs
5351 posts
Well done ladies. I've never been a 10 either. I am fitting sz12 which I haven't been in since I was 21. The feeling is incredible getting into small clothes.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
That is a great result Macs xxxx

Unfortunately my weight fluctuates on a regular basis due to my hypothryoidism. Its super frustrating but I'm trying to get my head in the game so to speak and keep to what works. Smoothies and raw food seem to be the way to go for me and I'm even considering cancelling out meat products too as some meats don't seem to agree with me.  Chicken and fish are okay in moderation. I really like the idea of just eating raw food, but will see how it goes.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm hypothyroid too (and not a size ten either haha, currently a 14 but would love to be back in a 12 by xmas). I've found that personally when I get my meds and balance right i CAN lose weight, but it's def not easy for hypo people hey mumof3 xx
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
For sure hun, the eating right part is a huge must for us aye.

Yeah the struggle is real that's for sure.  Wish I had the other version where its hard to put on weight ha ha ha.  I was like a lean bean until I hit teenage years and then my hormones went through the roof and my weight has been up and down like a yo-yo ever since.  Found it even harder after having the munchkins lol.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
8 weeks low carb today and am now 12kg down. Woohoo. I hope you ladies are all going well!
Julieal
915 posts
Go for it Trudi -week in Hawaii will be worth it to feel great
Macs
5351 posts
That's awesome news lisa. Great determination to achieve weightloss results. I've lost a further 2 kgs putting my weightloss at 25kg in total. I have ten more to go. I just need to tweak my diet again.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks macs. Great job to you also! I have been experimenting lately and made a sugar free cheesecake....omg it was amazing!
MareeB
5244 posts
Hey Lisa and Macs  I tried this today - UNREAL!! (I hope its ok to put this here?) I made mine
with grated tasty cheese, only a small amount, and it tasted like cheese scones - no wheat,
gluten or carbs!!

flour free delicious ‘bread’!
Time needed: 20 minutes • Calories per serving: Each roll or slice of the basic mix (cutting circle into 6) is 135 calories. • Servings: The basic bread amount makes 6 'bread rolls' or one large circle bread, it would serve 6 people one slice or one roll each. • Difficulty: 1

A flour free basic bread mix made from eggs and ground almonds.
Ingredients
• 3 large eggs
• 100g ground almonds
• half a tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt (optional)
Method

A friend showed me this recipe years ago, have used variations of it ever since!
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees, and line a shallow baking or roasting tin with baking paper.
2. Separate the eggs - put the whites in a large metal bowl and keep the yolks.
3. Whisk the egg whites till they form peaks.
4. Whisk the yolks together, and then make a well in the egg white mixture, pour the yolks in and whisk to mix together.
5. using a large metal spoon, fold the 100g ground almonds into your egg mix. Try to fold air in as much as you can. Add the baking powder and salt, if using.
6. Pour/spoon mixture onto baking paper, into a large circle shape. It will need to bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes, but watch it does not overcook. (you can make 6 evenly sized dollops for 'bread rolls', your cooking time will reduce by about 5 minutes or so)

When ready it will not have browned much other than the edges, but if you press the centre it will be springy to touch.
Before pouring onto the baking paper you can add anything you like to flavour this bread, savoury or sweet. Some ideas:
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Maree it sounds delicious! I have been making 90 second bread.
Almond flour
Baking powder
Egg
Butter
Nuke for 90 seconds. Yum!
MareeB
5244 posts
I'm trying to get back on the 8 week blood sugar diet which is the same as keto but restricted  calories initially. It's a bit complicated because I'm also not eating meat, but I'm slowly figuring it out.
MareeB
5244 posts
I just noticed my recipe says ground almonds, which would be expensive, but I'm using almond meal, which isn't so expensive.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love using almond meal maree. I got some coconut flour today so will give that a whirl too.
Macs
5351 posts
Oh yum I'm going to try those recipes. Hard to find a guilt free bread. I haven't eaten bread for many months now. This is safe enough.
JessB
219 posts
That looks great! And congrats Lisa on your progress. 
After falling off the wagon I have gone low-carb once again for about the past month - 2 months. This time around I've actually found I've become sensitive to gluten (I get a really sore tummy if I eat much pasta or bread kinda thing). Has anyone else run into this kind of thing?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I feel terrible after eating pasta jess. I eat konjac noodles now. They are 10 cals and low carb. I love them!
trudijoy
8375 posts
konjac noodles (which i know as 'shirataki' or 'ito konnyaku') are an old japanese diet trick - I don't love them as pasta but i eat them a couple times a week over summer as hiyashi-chuuka which is a japanese/chinese fusion cold noodle dish dressed in a sauce based on soy (I use yuzu pon which is a citrus soy dipping sauce) - basically cold dressed noodles, salad veges and meat/egg if you want that on there, i usually use leftover cold meat and a sliced one egg omelet. SO GOOD
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Sounds yummy Trudi. I use them in garlic prawn stirfry as they really pick up the flavours. Ive heard some brands are gross. I love them. I think mine are called zero. From new world. They do smell rank though before you wash them lol.
JessB
219 posts
Thanks Lisa and Trudi, definitely will be looking into those! I love Asian cuisine (particularly Japanese and Thai) so this is right up my alley :) 
MareeB
5244 posts
In spite of the great alternatives, I still struggle with carbs.....
trudijoy
8375 posts
JessB - pic on the wall of the noodle dish I made tonight using the konjac noodles. 250 calories (bc there's an egg and meat) and super tasty/filling/healthy
Macs
5351 posts
I’m thinking of giving Keto a try . How did you find it ? Any tips.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I'm keto 2 years now. I love it. I hardly ever get headaches at all which is a huge bonus. My tips are you need to salt everything. You pee a lot and it rids your body of electrolytes and you must keep on top of it or you will feel awful. I have a beef stock cube in hot water often. Don't worry about eating lots of fat, eat protein. Don't get too technical to start, just meat and veges like broccoli, cauli, spinach, Brussel sprouts, beans etc.  I drink almond milk in my coffee and use monkfruit or stevia. Good luck!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!