Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ridged Nail Nightmare

10 posts, 8 members
ginger_snap_nz
11 posts
Help!!!
Looking for ideas how to fix my nails.
They are all ridged - cuiticle to tip, grow well but then split and peel.
Nail polish falls off in hours.
Any advice on what to try? 
MareeB
5239 posts
There'll be loads of ideas coming, but I'll start by saying it will help you to have some oil in your diet. Either by taking it internally as a plain oil such as coconut, olive, flaxseed etc, or in capsule form such as evening primrose.
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh, and I notice a huge improvement when I take collagen or silica. I'm taking keratin and collagen at the moment and my nails look good and feel soft and flexible.
chikoboo
3402 posts
You can buy Ridge filler that strengthen and fills the gaps for a smooth base I know opi does one
ginger_snap_nz
11 posts
Thanks so much - Will totally add more oils to my diet, I have tried the OPI ridge filler and it did nothing but coat my nails, I think I am looking for something to rub in prehaps rather than paint on, unless it soaks into my nails.
The ridges are horrid,
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I've got the same problem and have been using Apricot kernel oil every night and it does seem to be helping. I've also started on 2000mg fish oil tablets (x2) so not sure if it's the combination of the two but I'm picking it probably is. I hope you find a solution :)
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
As well as ingesting it (is that even the correct term???), I love using oil, especially almond oil, on my nails! I find it makes the biggest difference. 
pintsize
1072 posts
This might sound silly (or not) but do you buff your nails?
I have ridges that are naturally occurring as you age, and I lightly buff them outwith a 3in1 nail buffer before applying polish or oil.

I once had a nail tech over buff them and I ended up with horizontal ridges from base to tip as they grew out.

I hope that all makes sense... I need sleep lol
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have heard that dry nails beds and cuticles can contribute to ridge nails so i suggest buying a cuticle oil and rubbing that onto your nails beds whenever you get a chance. My nails can become quite ridged aswell as it seem hydration is key
MissQT
1547 posts
I agree with cuticle oil. It makes such a difference to the health of your nails! The oil gets absorbed through your cuticle to the nail plate. If you don't have cuticle oil you can also try olive oil. If your nails are weak I would suggest using a ridge filler as chikoboo has suggested, as this only fills the gaps in your nail plate. Buffing I think might make your nail weaker as it files down your nail plate.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!