Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Toner - Yeah or nah

45 posts, 17 members
Designer-mic
249 posts
Happy New Year all. 

Who still users face toners? 

If so any favs? 

Thanking you 

trudijoy
8375 posts
I was always a ''nah' for toners but lately i've been spraying rosewater on my face at night and it's lovely! I just bought the Black Robin one for when that runs out, and the Beautiful Christmas advent calendar has a Snowberry Cleanser/toner all in one that i can't wait to try <3
Designer-mic
249 posts
Thanks Trudijoy. Im so gutted I missed the beauty advent calanders everyone is talking about. 
Designer-mic
249 posts
Trudijoy I just read up on the Wiki skincare Balance Mist on the Black Robin website. Sounds amazballs. Is that the one you ordered?  
trudijoy
8375 posts
nah i got the 'Whole Lotta Rosie' Mist Toner :)  Apparently you keep it in the fridge and spritz it on to refresh your skin.
Designer-mic
249 posts
oh yeah that one sounds good too. It is sold out. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah it sold out really fast as well.

I won a $25 voucher from them so I decided to get a few things to try - have the toner mist, 2x clay mask samples, 1x blush sample, a shampoo bar and some coconut milk chocolate coming at me.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Lucky girl. Sounds like a nice wee package on its way. :) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yep pretty excited, i loved the first Black Robin product I tried (the mint 'tingly bits' scrub - though i only use it on my feet because mints not a body scent to me!)
Designer-mic
249 posts
Sound like a lovely brand. This BR is dangerously awesome. I am for ever discovering things I feel I NEED in my life. lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
i know right? I just posted on IG that - bewilderingly - i just realised i've worn the exact same makeup for the past three days. I never do that. ever.  I'm so convinced i need all the things haha
Designer-mic
249 posts
3 days on a row. God struth! hehe. 

Yep im hearing ya. Wants become needs very easily. Although my skin thanks me for it. :) 

trudijoy
8375 posts
and when want becomes need, retail therapy is your thing, and you have disposable income, it's quite the combination. Although so saying even with all that working for (against?) me I'm not a patch on how much some people acquire!
MareeB
5244 posts
I still use toners, but not as religiously as I used to. I have a Dove one I'm using at the moment. I also have a Skin Deep refreshing mist that I like.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Thanks guys.

I love the smell of skin deep. 

And Oasis is a good brand.

Ill check them out. 
Designer-mic
249 posts
Yes have been lucky enough to have a pretty good income level to be able to purchase all the goodies in the make up world TrudiJoy. But about time to buckle down and start more serious savings. If I keep buying cosmetics Ill never get my dream kitchen lol 
Macs
5351 posts
Ive always been a nah, because I have reacted to them. But, I want to open myself up to trying things I wouldnt normally. 
Rezee
1964 posts
I like using toner. I still haven't found the perfect one for me yet though. One I recently used up was korean and had witch hazel in it. I quite liked it so I'm going to be looking out for more with that in it in the future.  I still have a couple more to use first.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I really like Oasis' Berry Brightening Tonic, it works really well on my oily skin and has an amazing berry smell.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Ive used the Boby Shop seaweed clarifying toner for years. I used to use this range of cleanser and moituriser also but as my skin has matured I feel my needs have changed.  I have found such amazing options and advice through BR. I thought it was about time I explored new toners too.
mallomiss
569 posts
nah, I don't really see what the fuss is all about to be honest.
Designer-mic
249 posts
In the past I used it because apparently it closes the pores again after washing your make up off and gets rid off any excess makeup. This made sense to me. Also felt so refreshing. Is good to hear what others think though. 
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I do because it's just an ingrained step in my routine, and I use a toner I use on a cotton wipe, so it does the step or making sure I've got all cleanser off. Most toners don't actually close your pores - ones with astringents in them can make them appear smaller, but the closing pores reason seems to be the common thought of why you use a toner.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Really. That's good to know. I just assumed the cold againest the hot skin would shrink the pores down.  
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Yup Berryliciousbeauty is correct - toners don't shrink your pores back to size, in fact pores can not actually open and close at all, this is a myth that's been circulating the beauty world for years.
So a toner can be used for a couple of reasons - to get rid of any cleanser residue and leave the skin feeling fresh and even cleaner.
Another is to bring your skin's pH level back down to what it should be as most cleansers are a high pH. And lastly a toner is often used for extra hydration.
It's not necessary to use a toner but if you like using one then it doesn't hurt either (:
Rezee
1964 posts
Oh interesting,  I had thought they helped with pores because of what I'd heard. I still like toner though, so I'll keep using one but good to know its not a hugely necessary step if I ever wanted to skip it.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Toner doesn't like my skin. So it's a step I just totally leave out now
Designer-mic
249 posts
Idomakeupnz sounds like you know your stuff. Thanks for the info. Really good to know the real purpose of toner. :) This place is such a good way of sourcing info. You guys rock.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I second Oasis' Berry Brightening Toner. I would have stocked up on it when Healthpost had a 3 for 2 sale on Oasis products but needed to stock up on Apple a Day. A few others that are really good and I have repurchased are Antipodes, Trilogy (I've used the spray but not the gel one in the gray bottle, I want to though) and I'm currently using a gel toner from Living Nature. Interestingly I found the gel toner has been lasting me a long time, much longer than the sprays.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Thanks tannygirl for all the options to look into. Gels sound like a good option.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love toner and always use it, but never anything astringent. I usually use rosewater or something based around it. Lately I have been trying Korean gel toners and also following a flower based toner with an exfoliating one, such as glycolic acid. 

Caroline Hirons explains toners really well on her blog. Like Idomakeup says, pores are not something that open and close like little doors! Ms Hirons is quite passionate about this: http://www.carolinehirons.com/2010/08/beauty-mouth-basics-toner.html

(sorry I can't do the link on my iPad)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've never really bothered with toner. Using it didn't have any better effects on my skin so I made my beauty routine one product shorter. But what will work for you really depends on your skin.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I seem to be adding more and more products to my routine since going to Korea. My skin has never been better though and it helps to work through all my stash!
Designer-mic
249 posts
Sooziewong... Thanks. I'll check out the blog. What website do you recommend for Korean cosmetics.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Designer-mic, I bought all mine when I was lucky enough to be sent to Korea for work in September. I bought so much and collected so many samples that I haven't had to buy any online yet (and won't need to for quite sometime, lol)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I know I'm supposed to use one as part of a 3 step system but all I seem to do is cleanse and apply Chia Seed Oil to my face, however thank you so much Trudi because you just reminded me that I have the Snowberry tone from Beautiful Christmas too, plus I think there is a Temple Tonic one in there too? Will have to check.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Nah babe the Temple Tonic was a rollerball oil.
Koni
444 posts
I still use it but more so out of habit. My favourite is Murad's Hydrating Toner which I buy from Caci Clinic. I have sensitive skin and it's one of the few toners that doesn't send me to my GP :-)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh ha ha ha, it was too (slaps hand on head lol) x
trudijoy
8375 posts
Haha we should have written it all down mumof3 xx
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have been trying the softner in the Shiseido Ibuki range, my first toner type product in years
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Lol, we sure should have, although I gave a few away as presents to family lol x
Designer-mic
249 posts
you lucky thing Worldofsooziewong. :)
crystalfisk282
13 posts
 I just purchased the Dark Robin the boy wonder one for when that expires, and the Wonderful Xmas advancement calendar
Designer-mic
249 posts
from where?  [color=#bf2390]crystalfisk282[/color]

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!