Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How is the winter affecting your skin?

49 posts, 29 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I don't know if it's just my age or simply me paying more attention to my skin than I have done for many years but it seems to be really suffering this winter.

How do you change your routine to accommodate these kind of changes?

I've been reading up a little and apparently drinking water doesn't help:

Here is an interesting article

Are you having to change up your routine? Add a heavier moisturiser or apply them more frequently? I'm doing all three and using new products like serums too and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to the actual dryness of my skin. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Mine doesn't change as much as I thought it would. Mostly just dried up around my nose, especially when I have to blow it all of the time. I just use Bio Oil because I have it and it never worked on my stretch marks and it hydrates my skin fairly well. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I have heard good things about Bio Oil but hadn't thought of using it on my face. A friend of mine had a chip fat burn that looked very serious at the time (she tripped over the cat) but over the next couple of months the scar faded to virtually nothing. I think she was lucky she had some to hand. I might give it some thought actually although really I am looking at organic solutions. I know I'm getting repetitive about that though so I'll be quiet lol :)

kirstyj
1732 posts
My skin always gets funny around the change of the seasons. This time it seems to need constant exfoliation. I don't know why, otherwise it just decides to go extra pimply on me not happy with that. So lots of exfoliation and heaps of serums, but not too much moisturiser.

(and AmandaJane you don't need to be quiet :P I'm looking forward to hearing about your organic finds)
Macs
5351 posts
Trilogy Rose hip oil under my night cream. I just put dots of it in problem areas, nose, under eye and forhead. In the morning I do my repair cream. In between the rosehip oil I use Anti Ageing serum by Manuka doctor. I just switch it up
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Yes I hear you. I find it harder to drink lots of water in winter so drink wine lol joking. .
I use a heavier cream with a oil at night. After washing apply the oil or serum then just as I get into bed apply a cream.
I also like the silberhorn collagen pills. Somehow they make my skin head to toe way better and not dry. I stopped taking them about a month ago to see if the difference is noticeable and it really is. I'll be ordering these again asap.
simone94
191 posts
My skin has gone crazy dry and has been peeling, my skin is combination but normally on the oily side. I live in the deep south where its horrendously cold and windy.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Kirstyj - I might try the exfoliation actually, see if that helps. I'm up for mostly anything at the moment and I have a nice Apicare exfoliator I opened today (so I could write a review about it  hah). And thanks re the organic thing. Once I find something that works I'll be singing it from the rooftops lol

Macs - I was looking at the Manuka Doctor products in Life Pharmacy recently and thought of you as I remember you mentioned it before. They aren't too expensive compared to some as well. I might check them out again. Switching it up seems to be a good answer too.

Farmers Wife - I just checked out the Silberhorn website, they have a special on at the moment, 3 x 60 capsules plus a free Emu facecream. Not sure what the ingredients were lol but the collagen capsules sound interesting, and not a bad price there either, thanks for the info.

Oh Symone - brrr! I thought it had been cold up here in Auckland recently but it must be really cold in the South Island. I hope it gets warmer for you soon! 

Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
That's right. Also if you ring you can swap the cream for more of the actual pills :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ohhh thank you - insider info hehe :)
triffid
151 posts
Yes my skin dries out and goes scaly in winter.One thing is to keep up your fluids.If you have central heating or a woodfire remember you may need so me moisture in the air.We always leave the dogs bowl in the hearth due to the fact she has a habit of lying there and panting madly and if its really hot pop a heatproof container of water on the shelf nearby(its nice to add some essential oil in that)

I noticed on FB by nature said you can use three products together.
1 Face serum
2Night creme
3 Rosehip as its absorbed through all this .
I do the first two and alternate the two oils

I love a facial mist like Trilogy to spritz my face too too
Lutece
1849 posts
The article you linked is so informative, I have bookmarked this baby so I dont forget to go back to this hehe, Winter gives me drier skin, and I have found I am reaching for lipbalm and moisturising at least 3 times a day which normally I dont do, it used to be a once a day thing haha 
Jesse
745 posts
I was just going to post something like this last night, so thank you! My skin has changed dramatically this winter! I've been taking medication that has change my skin from being oily to being dry and even a little flakey, which I have never had before and I just don't know how to manage it. I had finally nailed my skincare and makeup to suit my oily skin and now my skincare, primer and foundation just aren't working for me.

So far I've been using a heavier moisturiser instead of my Anti-blemish, and even applying rosehip oil at night and Oxygen serum in the morning to try and hydrate my skin.

My question is: Ladies with dry skin, what are your Holy Grail products that work for you? I'm talking skincare, foundation, or even other makeup.

TIA :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks for that Trifid, I'll go and check out their FB page, I've been meaning to start following more nz based manufacturers. I do have an oil column heater on today, although I haven't much so far this year but it did occur to me that that isn't helping either.

Lutece, no worries, I have literally screeds of links like that. I've been doing a lot of research for a while now mostly on skincare though. I have to learn about cosmetics yet, I need a makeup lesson. Also I've been using more moisturisers in the day too, have you heard of Kereru? They have a great little lip balm and other products on their site. I'm about to do an order I think as I like the lip balm so much and it's only $5 from the local organic shop. Here's the link to their site :)

Jesse, the joys of winter skin, not so great is it. I hope you find a solution. That oxygen serum sounds interesting, I haven't heard of that. I hadn't thought about medication affecting the skin either, I'm on an increase on a medication fairly recently. Hrm, I wonder if it's connected.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Aw Jesse, I feel for you! Having your skin change like that must be such a hassle product-wise.

I have dry skin year round and have to apply all sorts of hydrating potions morning and night, but am yet to 'cure' it entirely. I have a little exfoliating pad that I use every night as well, to buff away dead skin, and this absolutely makes a difference to my skins texture.

'Normal' dry skin foundation formulas don't seem to work on me so I'm probably no help there, but I do find silicone based primers just dry my skin out more, so i always go for the hydrating/illuminating ones.

Let me know if you pick up any tips! And best of luck trying to figure out what works x
Kellyleanne
551 posts
It can be a challenge when your skin changes.  I have dry skin most of the year it seems, with occasional bouts of combination skin.

I find in terms of skincare Clinique or Dermalogica are my favourites. Dermalogica intensive moisture balance is a great moisturiser, and gives really good hydration, my skin tone has improved since I started using it. I also use Oasis hot toddy serum at night and that is also really good for dry skin. 

My holy grail primers are Smashbox photo finish primer and the Dermalogica primer.In terms of foundation for dry skin I love Nars sheer glow or Mac studio sculpt. 
Hope this helps Jesse x

trudijoy
8375 posts
I just go Twilight-pale and my dark circles show more...and I get less oily.

Not sure what going to 40 degrees for 2 weeks then back to the Aucks winter will do to my skin :S
Danni
324 posts
Winter dried out my skin at first but now it gets really oily! In summer my skin is more normal hahah but until then I have to deal with combination
tannygirl
3392 posts
One thing I like about winter is the opportunity to use those serums and facial oils that have anti aging ingredients but would be to heavy to use any other time of year. I'm currently using my more mosturizing facial oils and apply a non-spf day moisturizer under my spf one.
charly
456 posts
Kirstyj - I'm pleased someone else breaks out in winter, too! It's ok if I'm playing winter sport - I guess sweat flushes the pores, but when I'm not I just get lots of spots!
charly
456 posts
AmandaJane and Jesse - I take Evening Primrose Oil pills and that really helps my dry skin. One is enough in summer, but I take two or three a day in winter. If I stop taking them I really notice a difference.

Jesse - the other one I totally recommend for dry skin is Rosehip oil, alone or under moisturiser. I use Evolu or Trilogy.
Mila
1209 posts
I have mostly dry skin sometimes combination but winter this year has been pretty good to my skin :).

Drinking plenty of fluids definatley helps -  especially in current heat pumped homes and work places that dry you out.

I use the same moisturiser I use during the summer months (apple a day) I have been having a bit more of a play with serums but othern than that I havent changed it too much
chikoboo
3402 posts
My skin gets dull and the dry areas get a little bit more sensitive when exposed to the elements and artifical heat.  I've learnt though that maintaining my water intake, and to keep my skincare regime pretty stable all year round helps.  Although I do reach for Trilogy everything balm more in the Winter as you can pop that on over makeup to the dry areas, and it helps with cuticles and cracking hands, chapped lips and even as eyebrow fixer for those wayward hairs it is an essential winter item for me. 
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
Winter doesn't usually affect my skin in any way but I'm on acne medication at the moment so my skin is really dry in some areas and flaking. Interesting to read how a change in season affects everyones skin though!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
My skin is normal, but in winter it gets quite dehydrated in places, especially around my nose and on my cheeks. I up the exfoliation and use an overnight mask when generally sorts it out! I'm also interested to hear recommendations from ladies with dry skin. Even though mine is normal, Clinique's overnight mask (and the whole moisture surge range) is my go-to when my skin starts drying up a bit in winter.
pumau
121 posts
I have normal to dry skin year round. Summer I tend to find makeup the worst as I haven't found a way not to sweat it off. Winters pretty easy, a heavy moisturiser, a serum, foundation with hydrating qualities and always a mineral powder (i hate dewy skin).
Plus my skin goes transparent white during winter so all my freckles fade a little and blemishes aren't so bad since my skins too dry to do anything.
Marcel
335 posts
It doesn't seem to make no difference to me, winter. I think must have damn resilient skin though coz just over a week ago I injured myself badly, got a huge burn down the side of my face which was all blistered, scorched and weeping.. Doctor said it would take about 3 weeks to heal, but a week and a half later it's completely healed, just got a bit of pigmentation problem that will take a bit longer to come right.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
SarahBeautyNZ - I didn't know there were more than one type of primer, I have a lot to learn. I think the hydrating/illuminating would be the way to go for me too.

KellyLeane - the Oasis hot toddy serum is something I see mentioned a *lot* I really am going to have to investigate! 

TrudiJoy - twilight pale, good description of me most of the year. Oh well I suppose I don't have that much sun damage because I'm from the UK. My son is virtually see through poor boy! 

Danni - don't worry, that will probably all change as you age hehe.

Chickoboo - I'm on to that Trilogy balm next week. It's a good price for one of their products eh.

TannyGirl, are you outdoors a lot? To my detriment probably I rarely even think of sunscreen. Maybe I should give it more attention.

Charly (nice name btw!) Evolu sounds great, I've been reading a bit about them lately. Might have to check them out too. 

Mila, the apple a day is something else on my wishlist. It gets longer all the time though. Wish I was made of money, I'd be buying them all to try.

Kaitlyn - I didn't know you could get acne medication, in my teenage years when I had it pretty much constantly it was Clearasil or nothing. I might look into that for my son, I feel for him with the skin changes he's experiencing. 

Pumau - I've got my mineral powder lined up but haven't opened it yet, really must start to use this makeup I've been stashing away slowly.  

Marcel - you poor thing! I hope it heals quickly for you. Seriously, if you haven't tried it I reackon Bio Oil is the way to go for pigmentation too. My friend was burned pretty badly in her accident and it's virtually impossible to see the scar now and it's about six months later I think. 

?Thanks for all your comments ladies.

Hrm, my posts keep losing all the formatting, trying for the second time now, apologies if there's no paragraph breaks again.

Thanks for all your comments ladies
shazatron101
5112 posts
I am sure my skin is getting drier, I find none of my moisturizers or serums are enough to sedate it, and I always feel it tightening and pulling, even after I've put a serum, and a heavy duty moisturizer on. It's insane :-( some days are better than others but it's very annoying
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Aww Shaza, I hope you find a solution to that, dry skin is so irritating but then oily is a pain too. Balance, what is that thing? lol :)
MareeB
5239 posts
Winter is certainly tough on the skin! I find myself using more serum and oil to combat dryness.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
My skins dry winter or summer:( no matter how much water I drink or oil I put on, I just do the best I can.  Just this time of year I get sick of my nose feeling cold x
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I'm a dry skin person as well, particularly my hands. I keep an endless supply of handcream on me and use both oils and creams on my skin, alternating to see which one my skin is responding better to at the time.
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
AmandaJane Yeah there's a few different options out there! I'm on pretty hardcore medication at the moment because the milder options weren't working for me. Definitely speak to your doctor if you or your son is concerned about his acne and it's really causing pain or just won't go away! I know how horrible it makes you feel. I've already gained so much more confidence and it hasn't even fully cleared yet! :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Kaitlyn, I'm guessing you're on roaccutane? Stick with it, especially when it dries you out in winter, as that stuff is life changing! I endured acne from the age of 11 until last year, aged 45. My skin is now the best it has ever been and I only get the oacassionally spot now - weirdly I will get them on an obscure part of my body instead of my face! It's worth the unpleasant side effects. Instead of hiding behind foundation, I'm now rocking statement lips and actually drawing attention to my face. Wish I'd taken it years ago and have recommended it to others, teenagers and adults. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Weirdly enough roaccutane didn't work on me long term. I think it did change my skin from being oily to combo and it definitely helped with acne on my face, but the reason I was prescribed it was for acne on my back. It's definitely not as bad as before I took it (I was put on it at 13, I'm now 19) but I still get it on my back and other areas of my body. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
My dermo said that some people have to take more than one course, a couple of years later. I guess it comes down to how much acne effects you as to whether you take it, as it is a heavy duty med. Mine was starting to effect my confidence and I'd just got sick of it after over 30 years. Some of the good side effects for me were, acne free, skin is no longer sensitive and I can use anything on it now and it also dried my scalp out so I only have to wash my hair every three days. Woohoo!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I've been wanting to try another course of it I just want to avoid doing it during summer, because now I have my baby brother who loves to be outside as much as possible it's much harder for me to avoid being out in the sun during that time of year. The sunburn while I was on it could be pretty bad. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap, SPF50+ and I'd still burn in 5 minutes!
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
worldofsooziewong Yup I'm on roaccutane. I've only been on it for a month and my skin has improved so much. For a while though my skin got 100% worse to the point I wouldn't even leave the house and my face hurt so bad, there were just so many massive pimples. I've only had one bleeding nose too which makes me feel pretty lucky. I was also told you may need two courses to cure your acne. I haven't noticed any problems in the sun??

EnyaMUA
1109 posts
If you're still on it during summer that will be when the sun gets to you. it can be pretty bad. Also make sure to stock up on lip balm, once you get dry, chapped lips you'll never want to be without it!
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
I've got crazy dry red lips already! But have different things to help with that, it can be bad some days and managable others lol 
Kellyleanne
551 posts
AmandaJane, yes it's so great. I love the Oasis hot toddy serum and has become my holy grail serum. I got it after recommendation on the forum from Farmers-wife, (and reading the glowing reviews about it) so thanks again Farmers-wife for introducing me to this! 
bronjenks
253 posts
Total dry lips and skin.  I always find I seem to use up more moisteriser during winter.  I've been using the Bossy lip balm and slather that on at night which seems to help the lips at least!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Kaitlyn, I found the best thing for dry lips was Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream when it was really bad. Lucas Pawpaw is also pretty good. Otherwise I had lip balm stashed everywhere and had to apply hourly. Beeswax based ones worked best for me. Also, Lucas pawpaw up the nostrils when they dried out -they've only just come right six months after stopping roaccutane. Totally worth it though. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Wow, ladies, we sure do spend a lot of time and money on caring for our skin. What with winter dry skin and acne and the seasons changing.

Kaitlyn - that's good to hear you are getting your confidence back and thank you for your thoughts on it. And everyone else who's leaving comments about it too.

I'm going to broach the subject tonight as he's here on his holidays now. With delicacy though. I sure remember how I felt.

Bronjenks - I've heard a lot about Bossy lately, I might have to check them out too, ty :)

I opened the Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream from Antipodes again today. It seems really rich. I might try that for the next week or so and see what the results are. It sure smells like trees (according to my son) but I think I can get used to it. I'll post if I have any epiphanies :)

MissQT
1547 posts
winter has made my skin quite dry too when it is usually oily. I have been using rose hip oil and I think I will start to use a serum as well. I think I will start exfoliating more often too.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Exfoliation really help my skin, even in the depths of winter. I think I'll start doing it twice a week. If you're looking for a beautiful certified organic serum I really recommend Plantae Rosehip Fruit and Seed Serum.
notjaya
62 posts
my skin's pretty dry to begin with. during winter, i find that i need a hydrating balm in addition to my routine: toner, moisturiser, facial oil + hydrating balm. i like to use cosmedix hydrating balm and may lindstrom's the blue cocoon which is divine!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!