Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How Cheap Can You Comfortably Go? Skincare

9 posts, 7 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   So I'm currently running out of some items and vitamins and stuff and I need to repurchase. And I also need to send some stuff to my sister for her birthday. So I'm putting together a care package of skincare goodies. I have a rule when it comes to giving gifts and random acts of kindness, that I will not give someone else something I personally would use myself, unless that person specifically requested it or likes it. People who have gotten stuff from me know that I'm pretty good at putting together gift packs. 

So I was thinking I should add another item. And then the thought came to me - How cheap can I comfortably go for myself? I do spend a fair bit on skincare and I'm bit picky but I'm always looking for a bargain and if I had to pay full price for something how much would I spend total for my skincare routine. So below is a list of my budget buys and just the basics that I have tried and if it wasn't on sale I could repurchase at full price and be happy with my choices. 

- Cream Cleanser - Skinfood Cleanse All - 15NZD  

- Gel Cleanser - Moreish - 18NZD 

- Oil Cleanser (emulsifying) - Avalon Organics Wrinkle Therapy Cleansing Oil with CoQ10 & Rosehip about 13NZD

- Toner - Andalou Naturals facial sprays about 16NZD

- Serums/Facial Oils/Eye Serum - I would use the Ordinary Range which has a variety for about 10 to around 26NZD per item atm on Beautylish. I haven't tried the facial oils yet but I would. 

- Moisturiser non-spf - Skinfood Nourishing Moisturiser 15NZD

- Mud Mask - Skinfood Mud Masque - 15NZD

- Moisturizing Mask - I would get the Tonymoly Tomatox it's around 10NZD on Beautynetkorea. 

- Lip Balm - Hurraw Sunprotect and Moon Balms from iherb around $6 each.

Of course I have my specific staples which I use everyday and have tried switching but always come back to and they aren't cheap.

- Oasis Apple a Day - currently 34.50 NZD on Healthpost

- Antipodes Hosanna Serum - currently about 40 NZD on Healthpost

Then there's the other variable items like wipes, non-emulsifying cleansing oils, eye cream, sheet masques and peels which I haven't stuck to one brand only and I buy based on what on sale that I think I'd like. 

So how cheap could you go and be comfortable with the product choices you have? Do you have a few items you're absolutely hooked on and would still continue to buy even if you have to stick to your budget picks on other skincare items in order to afford them? 
MareeB
5241 posts
I could go cheap as long as the products are pretty good. I love Skinfood and it's pretty economical.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Skinfood and Essano are my cheap but good options.
Macs
5351 posts
My  affordable brands  I go for are Aveeno , Essano , Goodness and Skinfood. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'll happily use Skinfood, Essano, Goodness and Korean brands which are usually pretty cheap. At the other end of the scale I use Ren which I'm starting to get back into now it's more accessible here. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lip balms I like Sierra Bees from iherb. I just got a pack of eight for free lol. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I forgot to add sleeping masks but it would probably be a Korean one, since they are good quality for the price and there's plenty to choose from. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Price has nothing at all to do with compatibility! I do love skincare from Skinfood, Essano, some of the St Ives and Nivea ranges, Garnier micellar etc. I'm sure Goodness is fine but I can't deal with the parsley smell haha.

My routine has higher and lower cost items; I just buy what works, and brand isn't always a guarantee
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I think as long as the brand is legit and it works then I don't really care if it's cheap. But I wouldn't buy a brand that I can't find any information about online.

My most recent cheap skincare find is this volcanic sheet mask on Roserose shop for $1 each and they're awesome. I alternate this with the trilogy sensitive mask so I can have two masking days a week.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!