Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

11 posts, 10 members
Kia
550 posts
Hey ladies,

So I've been using the Proactiv face toner for the past two years, and it only just occured to me that I don't actually know what the purpose of a toner is.

I've only been using it because Proactiv is a three step process and the toner is step 2. Honestly I can't say that it's doing anything for my skin. I don't notice any difference with and without using a toner, and m skin feels no different. 

So my question is, What is the purpose of a facial toner, why is it important, and what would you recommend for skin with redness, and the occassional acne?
hughes_dre
229 posts
I found this explains things well...
Mila
1209 posts
I should read that to !.  Toners just remind me of first starting out with makeup and borrowing my nana's toner which always burnt my skin thanks to the alcohol i assume haha ....
MareeB
5241 posts
It's to cool and refresh your skin and tighten pores. I find if you apply it with cotton wool you can see how well you've done with your cleanser because the cotton wool / pad should be clean after applying the toner.
Macs
5351 posts
Ive never used a toner. I better click on that link lol.
triffid
151 posts
I liked the article about it.I know I was told it tightens the pore and removes the last traces of make up or cleanser.
Back in the early days(my kids would say days of the dinosaurs)I think my MUm used either rosewater or witch hazel for this.I know people mixed the two or used one of them.Rose water was gentle and softening and witch hazel was astringent.
I love it cold from the fridge as a cooling treatment .
STORM03
94 posts
i have nooo idea what a toner does, but i use the Michael Todd's toner and all i know is use it after i clean my face. :D :P
SandieNZ
424 posts
I need to read that article too - I've given up using toner.  I find it helpful if to remove the last traces of any makeup that might be left, but now that I have a great cleanser I don't think I need it.
Kia
550 posts
Thank you so much ladies.Especially hughes_dre for linking that webpage - I completely understand now. I will be on the look out for a better working toner for my skin!  
Bayley
238 posts
I use a toner to make sure I get any leftover dirt and make sure my skin is extra clean! 
BeautyCutie
130 posts
Facial toners used to be mainly alcohol based, which is why they have a bit of reputation as being 'tightening' and drying on your skin. But over recent years companies have moved towards creating toners more focussed on delivering minerals and vitamins to your skin, as well as helping to cleanse and nourish before moisturising. The cleanser I've been using is a chamomile and rosewater based one by Natio, and it's really good in just delivering a little bit of moisture and softness to my skin :) x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!