Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

26 posts, 22 members
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'm looking at getting a face scrub to help remove dry flaky skin I get around my nose and forehead. It always makes my makeup look tacky. I've only ever used one, St Ives apricot scrub back when I was about 17 but felt it left my skin really dry after wards. Soooo what is everybody's suggestions, is a facial scrub my best option? :) Thanks In Advance for the advice xx
MareeB
5241 posts
I like the Skinfood exfoliator. It might pay to take some fish oil, evening primrose or flaxseed capsules too, just to soften your skin from the inside and reduce dryness. Good luck :)
Rezee
1964 posts
I'm currently using a neutrogena one that is a mild scrub and cleanser in one. I think it has microbeads in it so I wouldn't buy it again but I'm sure there woud be other brands out there who don't use microbeads.
kirstyj
1732 posts
There are so many good options out there! I like the skinfood one, it is nice as a good scrub but not too scrubby. It also has a nice cleanser cream in it so it makes your skin feel really nice. I have been trying the More-ish one as well which I think is really comparable but I think it is a wee bit more expensive. But you can definitely get awesome ones from the supermarket so watch out for specials :)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I prefer to stick to more natural skincare products. The living nature face scrub would be my pick.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Skinfood, Essano and Ethique Ginger Snap are all grear, affordable, natural NZ-made options
Macs
5351 posts
My current Manuka Doctor, formula 10.0 . Wanting to try Essano, Sukin and goodness. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies x Im going to try the skinfood thanks to a very generous BR babe helping me out :) x if it doesn't work out I'll be sure to check out everybody's suggestions!
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I use skinfood exfoliate as well and Im loving it. Countdown usually has it on special for $10
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I haven't bought a face exfoliator in years - the ones I have are ones I've got in beauty boxes - I just mix sugar to a paste with water (I use brown sugar when my skins feeling a bit more delicate) it's brilliant, and sugar is a natural antiseptic, so it helps with any outbreaks too :)
Ringy
825 posts
I'm liking the dermalogica microfoliant - enzyme based rather than granules as after having some red broken capillaries lasered off they said that scratchy exfoliants are a major damage causer. 

I love brown sugar! I often eat a sneaky teaspoon - my insides must be super antisepticated!
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Oh I love the microfoliant too! (Not so much the rubbish that's in it, but anyway) in a bit excited to get to use dermalogica stuff again from next month when I start my course :D
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I feel your pain, having dry flaky bits is the worst! But what Ringy said! Would definitely recommend a chemical exfoliant (AHA) instead of a physical exfoliant, those scrubby bits can wreak havoc on your capillaries. I use a Paulas Choice one, but I'm sure there's others out there.

I still get small areas of flakiness around the sides of my nose that I have to tweeze off daily (ew), but considering it used to be like that on a good half of my face it's 50x better than it used to be!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I have to second what Sarah said - chemical exfoliants are much better than physical.
They more gental and effective in the long run, whereas physical will ruin your skin in the long run.
BUT if you do really want to use a physical scrub you should opt for something with jojoba beads in it as the exfoliating component. Microbeads are bad for the environment, walnut shell, pumice, crushed seeds/other types of shell, are all too abrasive. They can cause microtears in your skin and the damage they do can end up taking you a long time to repair. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I never realised there were so many things to take into consideration with a scrub. Thank you ladies for all the helpful advice.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think my favourite facial scrub is Oasis Fruit Smoothie which doubles as a masque. I should also mention Trilogy's Enzyme Cleanser it's amazing. It exceeded my expectations and left my skin so smooth.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I didn't like the "waxy" residue that the SkinFood scrub left on my skin.  My favourite scrub is Dedicated to Nature's Facial Exfoliating Scrub.  The exfoliating particles are really small and it's fairly hydrating.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I have sensitive skin but I find the Bossy Cosmetics Scrub does a really good job and it leaves a nice moisturised film after exfoliation.  Not everyone likes this feeling but for dry sensitive sufferers, it works well.
LinF
63 posts
Skin is normal but ancient. I use aloe vera gel from homegrown plant, squeeze the gel on to a sponge and gently rub forehead, cheeks, nose & neck but I keep away from around the eyes because I try not to tug & pull around this area as much as possible. Then rinse with cool water and face & neck feel lovely and refreshed. It is then ready for night repair cream (Monsia) followed by Vit E oil to seal in the moisture. I normally only do this once a week.

May 24th update - I am now the proud owner of a Monsia Sonic 3 facial cleansing brush and will be making other scrubs soon.

November 18 update - my scrub is made with aloe vera gel, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and rice flour - I needed to add a little "roughness" and this mixture works very well for me.
These are all such good suggestions! Does anyone have any good suggestions for facial scrubs for sensitive skin? I find a lot of products irritate my skin but I need of get rid of it's dryness! :( Thanks!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Is there any product ingredient that makes you more sensitive??
With the options you could do chemical/enzyme with something like Freeman's or Palmers. I know that Freemans do sachets so it is not a huge investment to try it. You could also look at something that has salicylic acid as this will also do a chemical exfoliation.
For manual exfoliation you could use a flannel or a konjac sponge. I find that both are a gentle exfoliant options.
I would suggest that if you use all of a specific range because of your skin, you could also email the maker and see if they had a exfoliant option they maybe able to send a sample of.
Some higher end skincare does give samples so you could ask at the counter for some as well.
LinF
63 posts
I came across this http://homemadeforelle.com/10-simple-exfoliating-face-scrubs/ I have done the first one - Simple Sugar face scrub but I used brown sugar. So easy to make & it worked great. I will be trying to make the face masks next.
jassyicare
2 posts
=mediumTry this home made scrub, it is a creamy, moisturising scrub that gently removes dead cells leaving the skin soft. The scrub also helps remove tan and prevents cell damage by neutralising free radicals. It is suited for dry and sensitive skin. Add rice (you can grind it to make it less coarse), curd or dahi and two drops of rose oil. Apply this on the face and allow it to dry before washing it off with water.

I personally like scrubs based on coffee and chocolate. it's my passion. I use to buy them online. try giovanni, Hot chocolate, I love it! it's very gentle and contains oils which is good, because I have dry facial skin. here is a discount if you want (http://nutritionsguru.com/ ).
=13pxI also heard that queene helene is quite good, but I haven't use it yet.
Aragates
5 posts
Last time i use  Lotus Berry Scrub is very good my black shadness recover easy lets try it waiting for your reply
Julieal
915 posts
Trilogy's Enzyme Cleanser  is really good and I have sensitive dry skin and find this helps a lot.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!