Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Does Anyone Get Matchy Matchy with Skincare Brands?

48 posts, 36 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
This seems to be a thing I have for the past few months but I find myself gravitating to using as many products as I can of one brand at a time. I used to just match my serum and toner from the same brand. But lately I have found myself that if I bought a serum from a certain brand I suddenly want the cleanser and moisturizer to go with it. And it hasn't stopped at skincare I find that I like to pair a bodywash with a matching body lotion if I have one. Some things remain staples in my skincare like my fave Trilogy eye serum and my Oasis Apple a Day and my Antipodes Hosanna serum but of late I've found myself setting aside my Plantae or Oxygen or Oasis skincare to be used together. Does anyone find themselves getting matchy matchy?
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I haven't matched my skincare in ages as I have too many other brands that need to be used up that I have got all of beauty boxes. But when I did buy skincare products I would always get all of the same brand
Macs
5351 posts
I'm the type to have many brands. I got Johnsons Body lotion, St Ives Scrub, Heath basic body wash, nivea in shower lotion, moisture mist lotion, Eves Secret Berry Body Shimmer, Za Cleanser, Palmolive handwash, Garneir Shampoo/ Conidtioner. So many different brands. The only full set I have is the Manuka Doctor Skin care. I don't think about the same brand. I get whats on special or what my body or hair is like at the time. 
1139 posts
Nope, I pretty much use different brands for everything. I'm not really loyal to any brands, and there are only a few select products that I actually repurchase!
Lutece
1849 posts
It's funny you say that because when I started using skin care I was matchy but nowadays I use a lot of different brands, I'm always changing my brands to see what works best for me :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I have 2 main brands I stick with. A couple of other ones I'm trying out and mix up with my normals
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I have 2 main brands I stick with. A couple of other ones I'm trying out and mix up with my normals
Macs
5351 posts
Whats your two main brands you stick with farmers-wife?
tannygirl
3392 posts
I used to mix things up more when I first started using skincare. Use toners and stuff from different brands and just watch out for using certain or too many active ingredients together. Antipodes Ananda Toner was my to go toner that I would pair with anything and I loved the scent.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I don't match my skincare at all unless it is a set that I have of the same brand. I love trying new things so I am always switching brands up with skincare and makeup. 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
sometimes I match, but most of the times I'll have a bit off everything not very faithful I'm all over the place, unless it says so. I must admit I do use matching hair care always shampoo and conditioner the same brand weird 
simone94
191 posts
Must admit I do this, just looks so much nicer when the packaging all matches hehe.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Not really. I mean I use Cetaphil as a cleanser and I want the moisturizer but mainly because they have the whole pack deal thing in Farmers. I also have a travel pack of by Nature products (night and day time mositurizers, eye cream and cleanser) that I will get through and probably use more than one at once. But no, I don't really feel the need to get all of my products from the same brand. That being said, if I could afford it I'd use Oasis Beauty products all day every day! I currently have in my skincare routine:by NatureBio OilOasis BeautyOlayGarnierL'OrealThe Body ShopCetaphilAnd formula 10.0.6 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Oh and I also use Original Source body wash, just finished an Imperial Leather body wash, and Health Basics moisturizer on my body.
Sugar_spice
23 posts
Yes! All my products are generally the same brand, I'm really brand loyal and when I find a brand (and counter consultant) I love I tend to stick with it :D and I do believe the products compliment each other how they perform... but in saying that I can be persuaded to try something new -and that's why I love being part of BR 
kirstysays
762 posts
I oddly enough don't match my skincare or makeup products at all really...I like to things to match, but, my love of trying lots of different products obviously wins over that when it comes to skincare and makeup products haha.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Not for skincare/bodycare...but I obsessively like my shampoo and conditioner to match :P
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think the matching shampoo and conditioner is pretty normal and most people do that. I haven't thought about makeup much but I now that I do I have thought about buying my foundation, concealor and powder from the same brand because supposedly they would work well together plus it's about matching the shade.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm not with the skincare, but I am with my shampoo and conditioner. I hate when they get finished at different times!

I'm not with skincare as I feel different brands do different things well. I also feel like I need a good serum but I'm not that fussed by moisturiser.
Jesse
745 posts
I have a mixture of skincare brands I use but my cleanser, toner, moisturiser and spot treatment are all from Clinique's Anti-Blemis range as I find it the most effective for me.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Or here's something I recently have considered doing with bodycare matching scents. For example I bought a bottle of Essano body lotion which has a rosy scent and so I went hunting for a rose scented soap to pair it up with. I have recently noticed that I seem to be saving my lemony scented soap to pair up with my Celebrate body lotion from Lush. And I chose my Moreish body lotion to go with my Moreish body wash. Luckily my Aveeno body lotion doesn't have a scent so it goes with anything.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I never used to stay loyal to a brand to be matchey with skin care but I do always go back to Oasis for most of it now so kind of yes ????
shazatron101
5112 posts
I think the only thing I've ever matched is my shampoo and conditioner... I do have a few bottles of matching body wash and lotions in my cupboard waiting to be used but as they're hard to get I kinda don't want to use them and waste them lol
100_percent_ash
488 posts
At the moment I've got such a hodge podge going on and it kind of drives me crazy because I hate not matching. I hate not using up products more though lol. I'm using one family at night and one family during the day so I have two sets of matchy matchy. My serum doesn't match at all and every day it gets to me haha
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Don't even get me started on the savagery of non-matching shampoo and conditioner
tannygirl
3392 posts
I haven't always bought a matching hair masque to go along  with my shampoo or conditioner though. I think awhile back I bought an odd bottle of Living Nature Nourishing conditioner that was on sale for when I would use up my shampoo faster than my conditioner. I have a Weleda Oat Treatment and I just recently bought a second hand Joico hair masque or deep conditining treatment and I don't have any other Joico products. I do however have Sorbet bars of shampoo and conditioner and bought the bon bon so that matches. I do know that some brands have a shampoo and conditioner but they don't have a hair masque so I justify purchasing a different brand because it's sort of an extra.
tannygirl
3392 posts
What about when it comes to nail polishes and stuff. I like to be a bit matchy but when it comes down to nails as if I have a certain brand of base and top coat and happen to have a color from the same brand I'll pair all three up but otherwise. Otherwise I'll use the same brand of base and top coat if I have the two. I'm willing to save on polishes and splurge on base coats so often my nail color will be an assortment of cheapies. I did buy a 2-in-1 base and top coat awhile back and I find myself reaching for it since it's from the same brand and I have a nail color from the same brand. Before then all my base coats, top coat and treatment was Sally Hansen the the exception of the Orly Nailtrition which Farmers sadly doesn't have. :-( Recently I bought my first Essie and it was Grow Stronger Base Coat, I'm wondering if I just opened the door and gave my myself an excuse to buy more expensive polishes, instead of being happy with cheapies.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I do love matching my skincare, for example I love the Clinique 3 step and have been using it for years on and off. However, Ive just started mixing and matching more often as I now use a Dermalogica moisturiser and Ive found a love of the Oasis milk cleanser. So, Im going to see how this works out for me!
neninoir
210 posts
I changed my skincare just over a year ago to only NZ made products so yip I am matchy matchy. I use mainly Essano, Skinfoods & Oasis beauty. It works well for my dry skin so I am sticking to it :) 
Macs
5351 posts
Even with nail lolish I never stick to one brand. I like to try lots of different brands to see if I like them or not. Some are better then others.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Nope, not unless I'm forced to lol for example... I got a lucky dip bag from Avon and it had a  couple of sets of skin care and hair care that I now use... but they were things I would not have actively purchased otherwise.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I have a whole range of things from different brands I use regularly. I do have a lot of Clinique though, and have been using the brand for over ten years now.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Today I realised that I have, completely by accident, a Cherry Blossom scented hand cream AND body butter. Over Christmas I was obsessed with a Peppermint body scrub I had and wanted a matching body butter, but I'm over that now! 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I tend to buy a product set such as cleanser, toner and moisturizer just to use the product as the maker intended to see if they products work really well together. However, pretty quickly after i do that, i chose my favoruite ones and mix and match them
charly
456 posts
I so love being matchy matchy with my face products, so I am a sucker for a travel or trial set! It's totally my spending downfall at the moment!
Sylvia
149 posts
I've never really thought about this before! In general I mix and match depending on what works best for me at the time.... I really like trying out new things, so keeping everything matching could get expensive pretty quickly haha. The one thing I do nearly always have matching is shampoo and conditioner - there's something about that that just seems right, and the perfectionist in me is not happy if the bottles don't match. :P
Jennwgtn
26 posts
Ok hands up, I admit I am totally matchy matchy! I Love my clinique skincare and have slowly been building up my regime over the last two years. I think it is mostly because it just seems to do amazing things for my skin but I am also a big fan of seeing how pretty they look in my bathroom and their gifts with purchase may have something to do with it too...
1139 posts
It seems that a few of you have to match your shampoo and conditioner... It probably pains you to read this but I hardly ever match mine! They always run out at different times and I have so many shampoos and conditioners that I need to get through - I haven't bought any in over a year and still have well over a year's worth of different brands left to get through ;)
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
I never used to, but that was mostly because I was trying to find what was working for me. So when I came across LUSH so I started only getting their products. Now 10% of my skin care is The Body Shop and the rest LUSH.
janini9
341 posts
Eeek, I'm more matchy matchy than I realised. I always match skincare and have several sets of matching skincare of different brands. I have Clarins, Neutrogena, Za (from one of the BR trials) and Shiseido and Elizabeth Arden.
I also match shower gel, body scrub and body butter/moisturiser and I tend to use body shop, lush, or Clarins although I am looking for something else with a divine smell to add to my stash.
I always match shampoo,conditioner and treatment serums and tend to stick to salon stuff with Loreal and Schwarzkopf as rest days from the "good stuff".
i thought I didn't really care about matching cosmetics until I looked at my current buying habits. Ummmm I might need an intervention ;)
RC
162 posts
I'd never really thought about it, but once I cast my eyes over the bathroom, I realised I'm a matchy-matchy persons nightmare. The only two matching products I have right now are my toner and moisturiser which are both Oasis. Everything else is a hodge-podge, including my hair products.

The only thing I am relentlessly matchy on (but haven't worn in ages) is nail polish, I'm OPI through and through.
Rezee
1964 posts
I hardly ever match my products, I used too when I was younger because I would usually stic to the same product over and over but I love trying out new things. I also use things at a different rate so my conditioner and shampoo hardly ever match because I use so much more conditioner. 
I think I would get bored using the same thing over and over. I cant even have a single bodywash open in the shower because I dont like to smell, the same everyday
Mila
1209 posts
A bit of yes and a bit of no I think...I do like to use a few Oasis skin care products so kind of yes but I do also have other brands mixed in.   I use a solid shampoo with no conditioner so I cant really match that one lol :)
SandieNZ
424 posts
Something in me wants to have a full matching set of everything, but it never seems to work out that way.  At the moment I have about 5 or 6 different brands on the go, but part of that is my destash project.  I also read these incredible reviews and decide I MUST try it and end up with yet another brand lol
gtsgrl
169 posts
I often do this.  I'll find a new brand and buy the range.  Within reason of course, there's some products I don't often use I.E toners and serums, although with the last round of Oasis products I purchased I've pretty much got all their range now.

I always think it looks nice if you display them in the bathroom to have matching labels and I think that you're better off matching as they're all made by the same company and should work better together.

When it comes to makeup I'm not quite so bad although I do like my powder and foundation to match, purely in the interest of keeping the shades the same.

ragingfrog
1289 posts
I come across products that seem to work and I do keep using them to an extent. Sometimes they are the same brand and sometimes not.
notjaya
62 posts
I'm guilty of using a lot of Antipodes. xx
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I've got a fair few Natio products at the moment and there's only one I'm not keen on because it just smells really odd. I'm inclined to think it might have been a manufacturing fault because of it actually. I might get in touch with them.

I do like their Spa range at the moment and I have a fair few items from their makeup range. I do like to match skincare though, definitely and I always buy the shampoo and conditioner from the same brand too, just because it will probably work better that way.

I'm going to be through my ZA skincare within a few weeks so I'm looking at Trilogy 3 for 2 at Farmers tomorrow because of their mothers day specials. I was looking at the Antipodes and wish I could purchase those on an ongoing basis but I can't justify it at the moment. 

Also I have just brought a rosehip oil and a body moisturiser from Essano but I'm not sure of the rosehip scent, it seems a little strong so I'm wondering if they use a concentrate rather than an extract to strengthen it. I've been getting into research on natural and organic skincare and makeup recently :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!