Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Cost Per Application - Skincare

33 posts, 16 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I have the Trilogy Radiance Mask on again and it got me thinking about this. It's about half way through and I've used it five times so at $35 a pop that would work out at $3.50 per mask.

I think that's good value really, for an organic skincare product. I'm going to follow up with the Living Nature Ultra Nourishing Mask again and by the looks of it that will probably last longer than the Trilogy mask as you don't need to apply it so thickly. You massage it in rather than washing it off although you do tissue off any excess after massaging it in.

Do you ever try and calculate the cost per application is of your skincare products? 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I don't, no, but that's so brilliant! Now I want to though! It's also a great way of justifying more expensive items that I don't need ;-P 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hah yeah true. I hadn't thought of that. Nice way of justifying the expense :)

I'd like to figure out how much the serums I use cost me too. With some of them I have to use 5 or more drops and I go through them quite quickly, others not so much. 

I suppose if you consider the MitoQ, that serum lasted me a month and I was applying three pumps twice a day. They calculate it costs about a dollar a day to use it though. So I guess skincare companies use the same logic sometimes lol
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ooh that'd be good to know too. I'd love to know how to work it out haha but my brain is having a fart and not working lol
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm using the Skinfood mud masque at the moment. It was only $14.00 for 100ml tube (with a cool free headband), and I only need a small amount each time. I reckon it may last 14 masques or close to it, so it's really economical.
MareeB
5239 posts
I find that with serums too AmandaJane, they don't last long, nor do the rosehip oils. But then I do like to use generous amounts of those types of products so they probably could be more economcial if I was more careful.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Shaz - I know that brain thing, it gets worse as you age ;)

Maree - that's tempting. They are nice products from what I've read in the reviews. The free head band is a nice touch! 

Edited to add - it never goes as far as they say for me. I don't know if it's my skin or the 2 drops per application (on average) thing is a marketing ploy.
-Bex-
611 posts
Yes I sometimes do this I recently recieved a 5ml sample for the Lancome absolue precious oil, the 30ml bottle is worth $335, $11.16 per ml which made the sample worth $55.80!!! Crazy

MareeB
5239 posts
Oh wow Bex, that's amazing. Was nice? would it be worth the price if someone could afford to buy it?
chikoboo
3402 posts
That's a wonderful idea but that requires maths and that hurts my head hehehe
DianaN
143 posts
This is a great idea and definitely justifies those pricey purchases but the math...? 
I'll just suck it up and buy it. 
-Bex-
611 posts
it is nice Maree but i haven't noticed any difference to my skin and if I were paying that much for it I would be wanting results quick smart. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Bex that's extortion lol. I bet you would want to see results very quickly!

It makes me feel better about the Living Nature Radiance Night Oil which is $90 for 10ml. I am getting that as part of their Skin Rewards scheme though so I'm grateful to not have to pay for it at all and can't wait for it to arrive.

Oh and maths isn't my strong point either ladies :) 

MareeB
5239 posts
Gosh yes, I'd be looking for a miracle too at that price!
-Bex-
611 posts
That sounds nice AmandaJane always good if you can get some sort of discount too. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
If you buy over $300 of Living Nature products in a year and send them your receipts you get a free product. Over $600 and you get two. It's worth considering if you like the brand :)
Kimrose
1415 posts
What an interesting idea. I have never thought to do the maths per use. Could be a bit scary at times, but we are worth it, aren't we girls? 
Macs
5351 posts
It all went fuzzy when maths came into it nah sounds awesome though.
-Bex-
611 posts
I love those types of loyalty programs AmandaJane. I don't think I have tried any living nature products before and I have just spent a small fortune on skin care products but I may look into it when I'm almost out of what I'm using 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
On the living nature website they always have a sample going that they send out for free. So worth giving that a go as well. I got one and you get 3 samples say a cleanser, toner and moisturiser for example. And they are very nice products.
Jesse
745 posts
I don't ever want to know, because then I start to think of the cost of allll the products layered on my skin.. and then I swoon :D
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I always think that for eye cream almost any price is justifiable because it lasts forever. The cost per application must be less than 10 cents a time.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Bex - if you shop around you can get really good GWPs too :)

Kim-Rose - I thought exactly the same thing. We are worth it no matter how cliche that sounds it is the truth :)

Macs - Numbers = fuzzyness lol

itsclearascrystal - Have you seen the Steps To Skincare packs? You get a great deal on a cleanser, toner and moisturiser for $70.

Jesse - hah yeah true, hadn't thought of that :)

Pifithrin - Agreed even though there is debate around whether an eye cream is really necessary or not. I suppose that rather depends on the thickness of the product you use as a normal moisturiser.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I do indeed! My Biore pore strips cost me $15 (ouch) but I get 6 in there and use them once a week. So they're basically $2.50 each and will last me 6 weeks. I'm okay with that. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
That's not bad TraineeMUA, not bad at all :) 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
That's a great way to think about it. I have the Trilogy radiance mask but it lasts me at least 15 applications, and even more if I use a foundation brush to apply it. xx
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
chelseaadelaide I honestly think using a foundation brush for my masks has been one of the best tips i have learnt. The masks last so much longer!
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ohh good call Chelsea! I'll give that a go next time :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
The foundation brush is so much more cost effective when putting on some masks. With a brush I have made freemans and montague sachet masks last 3 goes while putting a decent amount of product on my face. Shame I had to buy the foundation brush as I didn't have one at the time and only bought it as I got tired of product mess on my hands.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
ragingfrog - I am so going to try this. I have a foundation brush in a set that came free with a hair dryer. I've been wondering what I'll use those brushes for because they aren't good quality so this is perfect. I don't want to dirty up my Nude by Nature set even if the mask does wash out :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
AmandaJane as long as you wash the brush once you have finished putting the mask on, it comes out all clean and as you have to do something while the mask is working it's magic great time to clean it.

The only grainy mask I have is Lush magnaminty which a brush can't really do well. I wish they made the grains smaller on it so I could use the brush.
MissQT
1547 posts
I think this idea is often used by a lot of beauty counters to persuade you into buying their pricey products. For example when I looked at buying the Clinique three step range, the lady was explaining how much each product would be per application.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
ragingfrog - thanks for the tip. I used a mask today and totally forgot about using a brush with it, oops!

MissQT - yeah I think you're right there. Do you remember how much the Clinique range cost per application by any chance?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!