Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best product for reducing age spots?

22 posts, 14 members
janini9
341 posts
I have a few prominent age spots on my face which are getting harder to disguise with makeup. I haven't used anything that reduces the appearance of the age spots because I have no idea of what may be any good. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm not fussed about price, just want something that is effective.
Mila
1209 posts
I havent used anything specifically before for age spots, but I would suggest maybe giving rosehip oil a go (i'm sure i've raved enough about it on here already) but its been one of the best things for my skin and its supposed to help fade age spots and any other skin discolourations :)
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I had been using RHO for about 7 months and it didnt lighten my age/dark spots at all. I ended up getting them lasered off by a beautician and I'm so glad i did!
Lisap
33 posts
Was it really effective, having them lasered off? Were they brown spots, or general pigmentation? I'm really keen to look into having them lasered if it works!

skingeek
537 posts
High potency vitamin C and SPF in the morning and hydroquinone (a naturally occurring melanin inhibitor- won't fade your skin, just helps prevent hyper production snd fade existing spots) and vitamin A at night. There's almost no point in doing laser if you don't do the home care or it will just recur. In my experience, laser is better to target pigmentation specifically and IPL is more about rejuv. Hope that helps.
skingeek
537 posts
P.s I'm a skin clinician so am qualified to give this advise, but your best bet is really to getrit checked out by a reputable clinic and work out how many sessions etc as multiple will be required x
janini9
341 posts
I hadn't thought of a salon treatment, so thanks, I think that would be a great place to ask about the age spot problem. 
I am going to try Triology brightening cream and see if that fades them.
Kenns
85 posts
Would the same approach work for dark facial freckles? Or are they untreatable?! :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I've been wondering about this too - there's this one:

http://www.spotner.com/

I've been thinking about asking BR to list it. I have them on my hands and my calves from using a sunbed in my twenties. I so wish I had listened to friends back then and not used it :(
janini9
341 posts
Have you seen the Spotner product in NZ shops? I think this might be worth a try.
I am trying a Trilogy cream which so far has done zilch.
Julieal
915 posts
I would have a chat to the Drfirst as they can often give you prescription creams that work well.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I haven't tried it yet but am contemplating it. I saw their advert in a magazine while I was at the Dr's surgery (isn't that always the way? lol).

It does look good though and I've been trying to figure out where to get it from. A google search brings up this company who apparently operate a pharmacy in Mount Roskill and have a Trademe presence.

http://yourchemist.co.nz/start/spotner-anti-age-spot-application-pen-hands-body.html

I think I'll drop my my usual pharmacy tomorrow and see if they have it or can get it for me. I'll let you know how I get on :)

Added: Julie - I asked my dr some time ago and he said there was nothing available but he may have meant nothing subsidised that's available. I was there this morning, didn't think to ask him again. I will call the surgery and ask.
juliaangelis
34 posts
Having a facial mask in my skin care products is a must for me to hydrate and nourish my skin. I am applying a mask every other week or twice a week to make my skin rejuvenated and beautiful. I am using a natural Japanese silk facial treatment mask with carrot seed and coconut oil. These ingredients has anti aging benefits.
juliaangelis
34 posts
Having a facial mask in my skin care products is a must for me to hydrate and nourish my skin. I am applying a mask every other week or twice a week to make my skin rejuvenated and beautiful. I am using a natural Japanese silk facial treatment mask with carrot seed and coconut oil. These ingredients have anti aging benefits.
kalekaylie
1 posts
I have been using dermalmd lightening serum for about a week and a half now and I am already noticing fading of my brown age spots. I am very, very impressed. I have tried around 10 different lightening product and dermalmd serum is the only one that has done anything for me. I am excited to see what the results are after a couple months!.
Julieal
915 posts
That sound really good Kate -Worth a try from your experience. Thanks
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think it's worth trying the Alpha Arbutin 2% and HA from The Ordinary. Since it's cheaper than most fancy lightening serums. I don't think it will remove the sunspots completely but it might help to lighten them a bit at a fraction of the cost. I'm beginning to think the only way to remove them completely would be to go to a reputable skin clinic and have them what sort of pigmentation issues you have and they'll be able to suggest what treatments that would best target those issues.
makeuppro
5 posts
I think you should try Age Defender Moisturizer because it is the best product for reducing age spots and easily available on various online shopping websites. After using this product you will surely feel the change in your skin.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
I also tried many whitening skin care products... but unfortunately found nothing that works on my sunspots and freckles yet.

My mum did suggest me using a drop of white vinegar diluted in water to wash my face every morning, which i probably wont try until i run out of ideas hahahaha =D

I’ve just started using The ordinary’s vitamin c suspension in silicon. Will see how that goes.

tannygirl
3392 posts
    I actually got a few of my sunspots lightened just a bit from using the Ordinary's 30% Vitamin C and 23% Vitamin C suspensions. I prefer the one in silicone because it's not greasy so better during the day. Just be prepared for a week or two of stinging and initially till your skin gets accustomed to it. Also if you skip it for more than one day then your skin will start becoming unaccustomed to it. But I've gone through a couple tubes and I've found the lightened results have stayed although if you stop using Vitamin C the brightening effects go away. 

I'm going to try the Garden of Wisdom one and see how that works. 
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Haha thanks Tannygirl... yeah i realised my skin feels a bit of light sting... which actually makes my skin feel a slightly itchy sensation. I’m trying hard not scratch it off my face hahahaha =D. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I’ve used a few vitamin c products now and I’ve honestly not seen any difference in my skin (DE, Melano CC, Dear Klairs). I don’t actually mind my freckles so I’m not sure why I’m using them, lol. Hopefully I’m getting the antioxidant benefits at least?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!