Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

ARGH Skin has changed

9 posts, 7 members
alikat
423 posts
I need help/guidance/ideas something. Since relocating from Auckland to Christchurch my skin has been a nightmare.

Its gone from being perfectly behaved (as well behaved as oily skin can be - as in, the oil was under control) to swinging from severe dry patches and looking like a total oil slick by 2pm in the afternoon with my foundation looking hideous.

My skin is driving me nuts and I have no idea how to get this under control. Is it because there is less humidity and more cold here or is it that I'm now working in an air conditioned office instead of one that isnt? Anyway, I'm at a loss as to how to get this under control.

So far my plan is to switch back to using Bossy Oil Cleanser (Currently using Essano) and I'm currently also using Clinique No. 3 toner and Moreish moisturiser (as its quite lightweight) and Essano night cream at night. Foundation is Revlon Colourstay (which isn't staying! ARGH!)
trudijoy
8375 posts
my skin used to be way more oily but my current routine really works and it's very balanced.

I use the ZA oil cleanser as a makeup remover, with Garnier Micellar water to finish taking the makeup off my eyes if need be. I use the Nivea Soft Cream at night (or the Benefit total moisture when I have a wee one, SO buying that duty free!!!!)atm I'm using Bondi Sands gradual tanner too. . In the morning I wash my face with Ethique In Your Face, and use a really light lotion - Skinfood or Oasis usually. I also love Lush Cup of Coffee or Brazened Honey masks. Serums hate me.

Also, Snowberry Gentle Revitalising cleanser/toner is lovely.

I completely recommend In Your Face and (as much as I hate to say it) try a diff oil cleanser - the Bossy one oiled up my face pretty badly. ZA or the Body Shop are my go tos, and the MAC one works too. The entire Skinfood range loves my face too
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh and try a mattifying primer. I use Sephora base lissante when I use one, but I didn't mind the Rimmel one.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Alikat, have you tried using a serum? This might help with the dryness & oiliness.  I have oily skin and find Goodness Every Evening night cream works well on my skin, so does Oasis Beauty's Knock Out Serum (which can be used instead of a night cream or under a night cream).

Stick to using a light day cream as you have been (Goodness Every Morning Moisturiser is also nice and light, if you're keen to try another brand) but I do second the use of a mattifying primer.  My favourite at the moment is NYX Shine Killer, and a light dusting of translucent powder on top of my foundation is a must for me to help combat oiliness (using a brush, not a powder puff as a puff will accentuate any dryness).
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh DEF with the powder, can't believe I forgot that!

I'm using the el cheapo Essence one atm and it's good, maybe a 4/5. I'm going to hit up a higher end option when I'm in Aussie though, I think.

I also like the Urban Decay de-slick spray, they NEED to start selling here
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would ditch the Clinique toner. It was alcohol in it. That could be leading to the dry patches and then your skin is over compensating by pumping out more oil to counteract it. Whenever I've used that stuff I feel like I've put paint stripper on my face. 
Macs
5351 posts
When my skin was patchy and dry I put a serum under my day moisturiser just focusing on the patches that needed it. Once it calmed down I went back to just doing it at night.  Took me a while to figure what works for me. 

I Definately think switching back to an oil cleanse is a good idea if you didn't wanna give a serum a try. 

Hope you have luck getting your skincare in control again. 

charly
456 posts
I get combination skin that plays up when I'm stressed/tired/hormonal and I find oil cleanser (usually Bossy) washed off with a hot face cloth, twice daily, generally does the trick.  

Other than that I use a gentle toner (LOVE the Black Robin one!!!  Smells so so good!) and a moisturiser that's not too heavy - haven't settled on a night one (though I just tried the Antipodes Avocado Pear one and it's wonderful!), but I use Oasis BB cream as my moisturiser most days, or Skinfood SPF moisturiser mixed with foundation if I want a lighter look.  

Also a couple of times a week I use rosehip oil (Trilogy or Evolu being my preferences), especially if my skin is playing up.  

Hope these suggestions help!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Your change in environment could well be playing a part - and the dry patches then oil slick sounds like dehydrated skin. I would up your water intake and try a more nourishing moisturiser.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!