Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Welcome to

Beauty Review

Want to be advised of trial teams we’re running, giveaways, great beauty offers and competitions? Sign up to receive our newsletter now, it’s easy.

Yay Laybuy
Yay Laybuy

Stretch marks

46 posts, 35 members
  Kathrynjohnson91
(6 posts)
  • edit post
I have tried a lot of products after having my son left my stomach looking like it had been attacked by a bear on a rampage, derma rollers, microdermabrasion sets, bio oil, and never really had any spectacular results. Anyone have any recommendations?! 
  lyyysaaarrr
(16 posts)
  • edit post
I would love any help too! mine aren't too bad, so did you find anything that helped even slightly?
  Rezee
(1964 posts)
  • edit post
how old is your son? time helps. I have four children and got covered in them after my first and they are super faded now.she is eight this year but they started fading after about a yeae.i mean, I.stil have them and toy can tell but they are not as bad as they originally were. I think only drastic measures luke lazers or surgwry probably properly makes them go.
  KristinaCalvertti
(14 posts)
  • edit post
Caci clinic :-)
  KristinaCalvertti
(14 posts)
  • edit post
You cannot get rid of them unfortunatly. But the color of them does fade over time from being pinky to being ivory white. I have one on my hip from myteenage years(i am 27 now) it is quite short but thick in appearance but it is barely noticeable now and I will confidently wear a bikini that shows it. No one has ever said anything about it because I dont think anyone realises it is there. If yours bothers you, you may be able to get surgery otherwise you have got it for life.

The Caci clinic are masters of appearance medicine esp skin. See them for a free consult. They have done wonders for my skin. They dont haggle you into anything either.
  Kathrynjohnson91
(6 posts)
  • edit post
Caci clinic is such a good idea, I would never have thought to go to them for stretch marks! 

My son is 3 in August, the ones on my stomach are now faded to white but my hips are still pinkish (they are super deep ones) the derma roller helped the most I would say, I used it once a week and put rose hip oil on afterward then wrapped my torso in glad wrap over night. 

I have considered having a bing a tummy tuck but the marks come up above my belly button so I'm pretty sure even after they take all the skin they can and pull the skin down to cover what they took the stretch marks from above my belly button would just re stretch upwards and then is have a huge scar, fresh marks and be $12000 poorer. 

Has anyone tried those creams from America which are apparently amazing? I've searched top stretch mark creams and the reviews are amazing
  evitarose
(22 posts)
  • edit post
I have the same problem all over my body. Legs, hips, stomach, a few on my arms and boobs. I have found sun helps but not too much. I also used pure wheatgerm oil, and coffee body scrubs, along with a lot of expensive potions with no real results. I am interested in anything that would help, i'm super self conscious and would love to one day be able to wear a bikini again. Wouldn't the caci clinic be quite expensive? Whats the derma roller like? Have never heard of it before. 
  evitarose
(22 posts)
  • edit post
I have the same problem all over my body. Legs, hips, stomach, a few on my arms and boobs. I have found sun helps but not too much. I also used pure wheatgerm oil, and coffee body scrubs, along with a lot of expensive potions with no real results. I am interested in anything that would help, i'm super self conscious and would love to one day be able to wear a bikini again. Wouldn't the caci clinic be quite expensive? Whats the derma roller like? Have never heard of it before. 
  Kathrynjohnson91
(6 posts)
  • edit post
I'm totally with you on that bikini dream! So took for granted the body I had before baby. 

Derma rollers are these things on a handle that roll over your skin and prick your skin with hundreds of needles. You can buy off trademe for super cheap. They put holes in the top layers of skin so creams and oils reach the layer they need to to work and also encourages collagen renewal and healing of the scars from the deepest layer of skin. I only used mine for a month or two though. It doesn't hurt it's just kind of uncomfortable, the needles don't go deep enough to draw blood. 
  evitarose
(22 posts)
  • edit post
For sure I would kill to have my old body back! But hey that's just life and I have a beautiful boy out of it. I just looked on the caci clinic website and they don't have any procedures (that I could see) as such, but they had a cream that is able to be purchased. TriLastin stretchmark complex treatment cream (or something like that). It is pricey, but if it does the things people say it does, then worth it. I just searched through reviews and it seems like something I may invest in.
  KristinaCalvertti
(14 posts)
  • edit post
I still think that you should absolutely go and see the professionals at Caci to see what your options are. I hate the idea of you spending a lot of money on creams and lotions which will not work.
  KristinaCalvertti
(14 posts)
  • edit post
Or even a plastic surgeon but that is quite drastic. See if there is an easier option first.
  shelbyrose206
(6 posts)
  • edit post
Have just heard about Palmers body lotion, they have a special cocoa butter stretch mark cream. Apparently it works wonders pretty sure you can get it at the supermarket too. haven't tried it yet but is definitley on my to buy list Has anyone else tried it? would love to hear good things
  Kathrynjohnson91
(6 posts)
  • edit post
aI used palmers cocoa butter while pregnant ( the one with the shape of a pregnant woman on the front, pretty sure it's the same one you mean?)everyday twice a day because it supposedly helps to avoid stretchmarks, it did absolutely nothing. My stretch marks are the worst I've seen so I personally wouldn't think it would do anything to remove them. It does smell nice and make your skin soft though! 

I have talked to a plastic surgeon, researched for hours and hours and come to the conclusion a tummy tuck isn't worth the money as my marks wouldn't be eliminated completely therefor I would have a huge scar and still have them and not be back in a bikini. 

I thinj im just just going to be a monokini mum for life. Hah
  Imoshen
REVIEW EXPERT
(320 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Every scar and mark tells a story, a story you should be proud of surviving, don't let it stop you from wearing clothes (and bikini's) that you enjoy wearing! 

My mum suffers from varicose veins and won't wear shorts because she's scared of showing them to the world.  It's about time the world sees beautiful people instead of plastic barbie dolls.

Be proud of your marks and remember how gorgeous and unique you are! 
  Mrs_rain85
(437 posts)
  • edit post
 i so agree Imoshen , ive had them pretty much my whole teenage/audlt life, and with having my son i got a few more, theyre faded now so theyre not pigmented. your not the only one with them and you wont be the last. i would stop wasting your money for a start and just let them fade naturally. theyre a story behind your growing child. :) 
  chikoboo
(3402 posts)
  • edit post
On growth marks when I went for a bit of a growth sprut (not much still only 152cm!!) while in my teenage years, my mum told me to use Palmers body butter which worked great only have the most tiny silvery lines that are not that greatly visible.  But when I lost weight back in 2008 (40kg) I used Nivea Q10 firming cream and that too worked great.  So either would be good, not going to find a magic potion that removes them 100% but a good masking effect.
  tannygirl
REVIEW EXPERT
(2341 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
I have the growth marks too. I don't remember how fast I grew but I'm now 172 cms or about 5' 8". I wasn't told about them ahead of time but I did notice white lines on my hips, butt and thighs. It bugs me but I've never had a guy complain about them and I wear bikinis if I want to. I did notice that getting tanned around that area makes them stand out more. I friend of mine got stretch marks on her boobs but they were white and didn't show and she just made sure to avoid wearing low cut tops when she went outside. I wonder if there's anything topical that can reverse growth marks they should technically be easier to deal with than stretch marks because they're a bit finer and already white to begin with.
  itskaz_xo
(197 posts)
  • edit post
~Kathrynjohnson91

I feel your pain hun. I'm in the same boat. Mine are awful and nothing that I have used so far has worked. My daughters 3 and they still haven't faded. They're the awful thick ones too so that makes it even worse :( Haha. I too will be a monokini mum for life lol. I've already started my collection. If I come across something that helps, I'll definitely let you know xx

sophienddiamond
(1 posts)
  • edit post
I have stretch marks on my hips and have recently started to use Frank body scrub. I found that it does work wonders, it lightened my stretch marks to a point i completely notice them. I highly reccomend you to try frank, also its cheap and fast postage :)
  andrewsgirl2010
(12 posts)
  • edit post
It's simple, but cocoa butter and nutrimetics skin satin, they work wonders, I used the skin satin for prevention on my stomach and thighs when I was pregnant and it worked! I didn't get a single one, but I didn't do my hips and they stretched and grew (a lot) and im using the cocoa butter at the moment and they are almost gone, its only been four months, the key is use lots & don't stop, don't bother with bio oil, it doesn't do anything like it says it does, its a waste of money in my mind, use the skin satin and cocoa butter and your skin will love you for it and leave you glowing!
  Stefihuma
(8 posts)
  • edit post
Hey guys, I just started using the palmers cocoa butter and it is AMAZING! I've used it 3 times only and I can already notice some of my horrible stretch marks gone. I love it and I hope that it will continue to get rid of my stretch marks and I hope you girls find a way too! (Going to Europe later this year so wanting a bikini look with no stretch marks so thought to give it a go and I can see results) xox
  Lutece
REVIEW EXPERT
(1849 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
The sun has helped mine alot! And time helps too, ill be stealing some of these tips n tricks too hehe
  Kelli
(73 posts)
  • edit post
After having my daughter (nearly 2) mine have faded a lot, but like everyone would like to have them disappear to nothing, I have heard that the lazer removal for stretch marks is a waste of money (Word of mouth from someone I knew who has had it done) But I'm sure everyone's results and expections are diffferent. But last time I was in Caci I saw a cream there called Trilastin SR which I am dying to try as it comes with money back gurantee, does cost around $150 so quite pricey (this is the only thing holding me back) if anyone has tried or know anyone has tried this product I'd love to know as Palmers, bio oil etc etc didn't work for me so far only the sun has helped them dramtically :(
  PrettyInPink
(10 posts)
  • edit post
my bikini's will never be worn again either *sigh thanks to my two beautiful babes. Working at a major surf company Head Office and having bikini samples thrown at you left right and centre was just ouch painful! There are two groups of us out there - those who are going to get them and those that just won't/don't. And once we have them, no lotions, potions or wonder drugs will cure them, they are here to stay. Yes, a tummy tuck can cut away any that are on excess skin, but the others stay. They do fade after time though, and of course moisturising is always going to help keep the skin hydrated etc. Be beautiful, Mum's rock!
  hannahr0bertson
(10 posts)
  • edit post
I have stretch marks all over my hips, thighs, bum, boobs a few on my arms and backs of my legs! It sucks and ruins my confidence. I've found that the sun does help and I have also purchased Palmers Body Lotion, it works quite well but it takes a while to see results. Although it only faded the colour of my stretch marks and shrunk them a little bit! I would love to hear from any of you if you find any good treatments! Good luck!
  Manda129
(419 posts)
  • edit post
I use this product called Sebo De Macho, its absolutely wonderful and really does workIt lightens scars and if you have dark armpits it works on that too.Definitely look up reviews of it, its a brilliant cost effect treatment :) 
  ashleighvivienne
(6 posts)
  • edit post
Apricot Kernal Oil :) My Mother has had 5 children & not one stretchmark thanks to her Mother's advice of using Apricot Kernal Oil, rub in twice a day all over. Unsure how it would be with reducing the appearance of stretchmarks but works wonders in preventing them :) Makes me look forward to one day having a child of my own
  Antonia
(27 posts)
  • edit post
Is there any way to prevent them in the first place ?
  yazzy_o
REVIEW EXPERT
(6 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Something I noticed worked really well was a product called Strivectin-SD. I think it's pretty hard to find in NZ, but I managed to grab a couple of tubes on Trademe.
It started off as some research for a friend who was struggling with pregnancy stretch marks. I gave her a tube as part of her baby shower gift and she raved about it so much that I decided to try it on mine. Worked a treat on some of my old ones too.
It's pretty pricey but well worth it in my opinion!
  kaelyncolliton
(5 posts)
  • edit post
I recommend both frank body scrub, as well as bio oil. You can find frank body scrub at frankbody.com and you can find bio oil at a drugstore, walmart, or even amazon. Good luck to you!:) 
  kayjohnston1994
(3 posts)
  • edit post
Can anyone help?
I have really bad stretch marks due to losing 44+ kg and I have really bad surgery scars. Its making me really self conscious and I'm not sure what to try. I was gonna try bio oil but unsure after reading the reviews for it on here....
  Steph_xo
(28 posts)
  • edit post
Definitely something that I need help with. Im hoping getting a tan in summer will hide them a little bit. Iv heard alot of people rave on about bio-oil but from my experience it hasn't worked. Iv also read that almond oil could possibly work.
  Cat1616
(21 posts)
  • edit post
Hi, speaking from experience after earning my stripes from having four beautiful children, time and patients is the key without going as far as costly treatments or surgery. Trying to curb the extend of the stretch marks by using a good moisturiser daily if not more does help but after that what you are left with can only be improved but can be improved dramatically. Moisturise - find the product that is quickly absorbed by your skin but also is long lasting, wether it's a lotion or oil everyone's skin is different. The other BEST thing you can do is expose them to sunlight regularly so it's great the weather is warming up and the rays will be in full force quite soon :-) two summers ago I would get out into the back yard in my bikini any chance I got - doing the washing, gardening or playing with the kids (they laughed for the first 5 mins but soon got over mum in her bikini and embraced it just like I did) by the end of the summer my stretch marks on my hips and stomach had gone from reddish/purple to hardly noticeable light marks and shrunk 50-80% in size. Last summer I was confident enough to wear my bikini at the beach without covering up and thinking people were staring at me - it was such a great feeling!! Summer is just around the corner so give it a go, you will be amazed :-D be careful with scrubs and how they're applied as too rough of a buff will actually give you a result you're trying to get away from
  melly650
(375 posts)
  • edit post
ROSEHIP OIL!!!!

It deserves capital letters... It really does work..... Been using it on mine for about two months and I've really seen a difference.
  Ringy
REVIEW EXPERT
(819 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
this is an old thread but I've been looking fir a solution for my 10 year old who has therrible stretch marks over her bottom and right down the sides of her thighs to her knees. We have tried the palmers cream and another I can't remember that was really $y. Just saw the previous post about rosehip oil for stretch marks- has any one else had success using it on stretch makes? Poor kid is so embarrassed and at school swimming they all ask what they are and she says they are scratches! 
  Macs
REVIEW EXPERT
(4823 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Oh Melly! Im sure were a hero once .Seeing an old face I might be wrong. How are you? 
I to need follow this thread I have stretch marks from the back of my knees, back, arms, Stomach. I must try Rosehip oil, I had plans to try the Thursday Plantation body oils after they were featured they were Cellulite oil, Rosehip.
So far I tried Bio Oil, Palmers, Weleda none of them worked for me. 
  MrsRosie
REVIEW EXPERT
(214 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
I too have stretch marks from weight loss, more noticably under my knees and inside arms (and I havent even had kids yet!). I tried bio-oil for a while but with no noticable improvement. Rosehip doesnt do anything for marks on my face so have been hesitant to try it anywhere else (and cause its a little spendy) Will follow this thread to see if anyone has a cure for us ladies!
  KarinaCarreiro
(1 posts)
  • edit post
I had my 2nd baby and got a few white stretch marks below my belly button I have been using dermelastic serum as directed every day twice a day for about a month and also using a coffee body scrub I made on the area every day and I have noticed a huge difference it says best results in 12 wks.
  MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
(2958 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
That's interesting. I looked it up after reading your post and see they claim it can remove C section scars. That's a big claim! it sounds good from what you've said tho. I think my scars are too old to salvage now, but I'm keen to hear how you go after the 12 weeks.
  AliciaAlvarado
(1 posts)
  • edit post
I've had dermalmd stretch mark serum for a week and I'm already seeing my purple stretch marks lighten! I tried a different product while I was pregnant and shortly after and it did nothing. Wish I would have started this earlier!!
  MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
(2958 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Thanks for the tip AliciaAlvarado - I'll look it up, it might be helpful for me too.
  Beauty88
(22 posts)
  • edit post
I am not an expert but I have read that there is noway to make them dissapear. is it true?
  Julieal
REVIEW EXPERT
(667 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Rose hip oil is good on scars and stretch marks and time .Enjoy your beautiful baby first and give time a change to work.
  Julieal
REVIEW EXPERT
(667 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Rose hip oil is good on scars and stretch marks and time .Enjoy your beautiful baby first and give time a change to work.
  MareeB
REVIEW EXPERT
(2958 posts)
REVIEW EXPERT
  • edit post
Rosehip is good. I'm wondering if a mix of coconut oil, lanolin and rosehip would be even better?

New?

to find out why you
should join New Zealand's largest beauty website

Click here

Beauty Poll

See all
Just When You Thought You'd Mastered The Wing

Just When You Thought You'd Mastered The Wing

No... just wait, it'll crash and burn.

view results

Review of the Day
Lenore
L'Oréal pure clay detox regime
I really enjoyed using the cleaner and mask as a new regime. I used the cleanser nightly… more »