Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ear Piercing Infections/Reactions

13 posts, 11 members
BeautyCutie
130 posts
Hey Ladies!

I was just wondering if any of you have ever dealt with ear piercings that have become infected or if you've had an allergic reaction?

I've had new ear piercings for eight weeks now and they aren't healing properly - they're red, sore and swollen :( Went to see the piercing store today and the lady told me to remove my earrings and just let the lobes heal.

Any advice/recommendations? xx
triffid
151 posts
When I had mine done we used to turn the sleepers  a few times daily and dab peroxide 3% on them.When my daughter had hers done she was told to use surgical spirit a few times a day and she had the earing straight in.I tend to favour the sleepers because you can keep them cleaner and keep them moving while earings collect the ooze  and go quite crusty.If you still have really swollen ears please keep an eye on them or even visit your health care professional if they remain sore after 8 weeks.(I had a sandfly bite on my earlobe which left me needing intravenous antibiotics due to the rapid spread down my neck and up my face)You may be allergic to the metal in your earings too and I only buy ones with the label"surgical stainless steel" on them because this has no reaction.My ears swell and get very sore with 9ct gold or any silver .
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I've had a few ear pearcings that have just not worked out:( just infections reactions and I tried all the creams and surgical spirits, and I do understand the "oh no" but I have them in they will heal heaps of people have them I know they will be fine. But for me out they came and the relief was instant. I did preserve with one in my cartilage for years. I even took antibiotics But for me the solution was take them out :(  I hope you find a solution x 
BeautyCutie
130 posts
Thanks ladies for your help! I'm starting to think just taking them out might be the best option - trying to wear earrings just seems to be aggrivating my lobes ;-( Maybe destined to be a single-piercing gal, haha
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I've had the same problem before you might want to make sure the studs are sterling silver or completely silver as piercings with silver seem to heal better. Some people are allergic to nickle plated jewelry even with the piercings completely healed, using it for a fresh piercing is even worse. Also disinfect the area with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to deal with the infection.
sophie4cats
139 posts
I agree with tannygirl, check the quality of the earrings as some people are more sensitive to materials than others, especially new piercings.Also I would NOT reccommend taking them out!!! If there is an active infection and you take the piercing out the hole wil close over very quickly, trapping the bacteria within your ear and potentially leading to a worse infection. I have a number of piercings, and unfortunately for me I've had plenty of infections early on. However after a couple of months of being careful theyve all settled down fine (:I reccommend warm water with as much salt mixed in as you can, and soaking the area for 10min morning and night (very awkward with my nose piercing haha!) and try not to touch them (: I'm not 100% sure but I've heard the alcohol stuff does kill the bacteria but damages your skin making you prone to repeat infections?  Good luck!
Kia
550 posts
I had a massive infection last year from a piercing, where the whole with the piercing had expanded to the size of a pea, and was extremely sore. I left it like that for about a week, thinking it would go down on it's on but when that didn't work, I took out the piercing, washed it with anti-bacterial soap, and went to bed. Woke up with blood all over my pillows, but the infection had gone down completely! My other piercings get sore every now and then, but I take them out quickly so that they wont become infected. What happens is, dirt and bacteria get trapped behind the piercing and cause it to become infected. So just remove your piercings every now and then, thoroughly clean both your ears and the earrings, and then put them back in after 2-3 days. I also really recommend keeping up with cleaning your fresh piercing with the rubbing alcohol solution they give you! That helps prevent infection.
Mila
1209 posts
Eek its not fun when your ear lobes hurt ! :(.... I've had it happen before both with a ear piercing and in my much younger days a belly button piercing (it just pushed its way out very quickly).  The ears were different it was the earrings I used, it has to be either stirling silver or proper gold, anything else and my ears implode....might pay to check what was used ?
Marcel
335 posts
Piercing.. the only advice I got for it is don't do it! Or if you must at least go to someone with a good rep..When I got my belly pierced it was such a dodgy job the skin around the bell bar turned dark purple like it completely died, and then one day I was pulling my shirt on it caught on the piercing and ripped right off my body. So gross and horrifying put me off piercings, tattoos, cosmetic surgery for life!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
My skin is generally sensitive to piercings and stuff, I've had my ears pierced 4 times on one ear, 5 times on the other and also had my eyebrow and nose pierced. What I've found is to use the piercing cleaner that I usually receive for free (occasionally I have to buy a bottle) from the piercer. I like to get my piercings done at a pharmacy for my ears and then at a piercing shop with a good rep for any other body piercings.  With cleaning my ear piercings I like to turn them twice a day from the back (I know you're meant to do it from the front but I find this easier and also tugs less on the skin) and only use the piercing cleaner ONCE instead of twice a day. I know it sounds insane but that's what I've found works best for me. Twice a day just seems to be a bit too much for my skin.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oooh nasty! It's always so disappointing when piercings don't heal!! I got one a few years ago between my lobe and the helix (where the other end of an industrial would go, sort of) and that never healed, I was getting massive blood blisters and it just hurt constantly. I reluctantly took it out :(I recently got my tragus done, though, and a lot of people said they took forever to heal, but mine was fine after the first week. A lot of people commented and said it looked red and angry but I honestly didn't feel it. People have also said when you get your tragus done that it either hurts like hell or bleeds a lot... I was a bleeder, so no pain here, woop!The only thing you can do is let your lobes heal back up and go somewhere different to get them peirced once they've healed. I've never been happy with my second piercings from the chemist!
shazatron101
5112 posts
double post... bugger!!
afriedlich
1 posts
I constantly have reactions to earrings and really shouldn't wear any earrings that are not gold and silver but I just can't afford them. You might have to fork out on an expensive set of sleepers and ride it out. When I wear inexpensive earrings I end up having red and swollen ear lobes for days :( do you ever react to rings?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!