Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best Haircare, Bodycare and NBR Investments of 2017? What Did You Wish You Hadn't Spent Money On?

15 posts, 6 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
I did one for one for makeup, one for skincare and here's one for the haircare, body care and NBR.

My best haircare buy of 2017 

- My wooden pin Ambassador brush I previously only had the in shower Tangle Teezer as my only hairbrush for years mainly because I like having a clean hair brush and other hairbrushes are harder to clean. If you haven't tried a hairbrush with wooden pins you should. I like the feeling on my scalp and it's nice for scratching an itchy scalp. 

Best Bodycare Buys

- Palmer's Coconut Oil Lotion - Good affordable body lotion that's cheaper than my fave Aveeno and if you like natural ingredients in bodycare this is a great option. 

- Frank Bodyscrub - I loved the one from Bon Bon it's probably my fave. Frank costs the same and works just as well and I can get it from Mecca which means it goes towards my Beauty Loop rewards. 

NBR investments

- A new external harddrive so I could clear out alot of the files, videos and stuff taking up data space on my laptop.

- I finally invested in a new pair of New Balance Sneakers after putting up with the cheap Warehouse sneakers I've had for a couple years and worked out in every day. My advice if you're going to workout every day invest in a pair of sneakers you really feel comfortable in and will stand the test of time.

- Socks. Yep I remember mentioning it several times on the forum and Soozie told me to just go buy them I did and it makes a big difference especially paired with my new sneakers.

- Electric fan. I can't believe I didn't buy one the previous year when summer was sooo hot. We've had a bit cooler nights here in Christchurch but we still have our really hot days and nights.

- A nice, newer desk chair. The last one I had was out of shape and hurting my back. My parents found me a really nice, new secondhand one and I don't have to go to sleep every night with a backache. 

- Duvet cover. I had really old flimsy polyester brown one on my bed and I changed it for a pretty pink cotton one with a waffle design. My mom comments alot on how nice it looks in my room since my carpet has a pattern the textured look of the duvet adds a nice touch. But the reason why this made the list was because I bought it during winter and it actually added some weight to my duvet so I had fewer of those cold spots that you get under your duvet during the winter. So if you can't buy a new duvet you could try getting a heavier duvet cover to weigh it down and make it feel more snugg. 

So which fantastic hair, bodycare, NBR and other beauty investments makes your list for 2017? Which items did you wish you could return and get your money back or go back in time and avoid that purchase altogether?
alikat
423 posts
Best Hair Care
Admitting that I have curly hair and not doing anything with it except using Oi Oil by Davines to get some nice soft curls. Only taken 36.9 years but I'm there. I love my curls.

Best Body Care
Deciding that I'm over shaving and paying a lovely young lady at the day spa to wax my brows, upper lip and legs once every three weeks. 

NBR Investment
To keep this short and sweet, largest "investment" would be my brand spanking new Subaru sitting in the garage. Red cars go faster.

And then there would be my Pergola added onto the house, complete with infrared heater and pull down cafe sides. Perfect spot for a pina colada on hot days.

Other awesome NBR investments include but not limited to my Louis Vuitton Key Clés to hold the new car key and putting commercial grade wifi into my house, so if 500 people want to come and use my ultrafast broadband, I'm prepared. Oh and I forked out and got myself some beats headphones for when I'm gaming

Regrets
Not many, haven't had much other money to spend really. Maybe shouldn't have gone up to Wellington for an awards dinner for an award I didnt win, but don't really regret catching up with my Auckland friends there though. 

These are such cool threads!
MareeB
5241 posts
Best Hair Care
Blonde Bombshell shampoo for brightening white hair

Best Body Care
Essano Body Wash - love it.
Goats milk soap -  an unexpected surprise

NBR Investment
Food dehydrator - sprouting all my nuts and seed has improved their digestibility for my leaky gut syndrome. Looking at a slow cooker for this year so I can live on bone broth to try and repair the same issue.

Regrets
Most definitely the 2 haircuts I had after growing my hair for several years, particularly the first one which was a disaster, without which the second one to repair it, would not have been necessary, but which shortened it even further - URGHHHHH!!!

tannygirl
3392 posts
Another happy discovery this year Dessert Essence Pistachio Foot Cream. I have cold feet and don't like foot creams with peppermint. This one absorbs quickly, has nice natural ingredients, 100ml tube, no peppermint and sells for under 15NZD. I've repurchased this multiple times and even gifted a tube. It's my current default foot cream.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tannygirl. I'm so pleased to hear you finally got some new socks lol. 

Im also really glad I bought a fan earlier this year. Makes such a difference just have the air move around in this heat. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I also really loved the Pure Fiji Sugar Scrub and Body Butter. Omg that body butter is the queen of body butters! It's so rich and luxurious it absorbs so well and feels so nourishing. It's the ultimate year round body butter. I would use it almost every night if it wasn't so pricey.

And the scrub smells amazing. I have the mango one and it leaves the bathroom smelling like mango and it leaves a bit of a film from the delicious scented oils but it smells so good I don't want to soap off the oily film so just pat my skin dry and lock in the moisture with the body butter. Because of that I save this scrub for the cooler months.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    The Soap and Glory shower cap. I have really long hair and I have a hard time finding a shower cap that fits, even the ones recommended for long hair I have hair around my ears and back of my neck sticking out. Which leads to me briskly running my towel over it and having frizzy hair. This one was $12 so more expensive than the $4 I usually spend on these things but it was worth it because I can fit all my hair under it and even my ears if I want to. And the elastic band isn't itchy either. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
 Not an expensive buy but I bought myself some plastic hair combs that hold your hair back and I use them almost every other night to hold my hair back while I do face masks. Before all my hair around my hairline would get in my face and in whatever sticky or muddy mask I had on especially when I would bend over the sink to rinse it off.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I have to mention my silk pillowcase! It wasn't cheap but it's sooo nice and comfy to sleep on. Really soft and smooth. And you know how when you roll over on your pillow during winter and it's so cold. I had that problem with a cotton pillowcase and I've had that problem with previous pillowcase that had a smoother material but wasn't silk. But with my real silk pillowcase I can roll over on a cold night and my pillowcase doesn't feel really cold. It's not toasty warm but it's not cold. I'm never going back to cotton again! I spent a few nights at a hotel and I missed my silk pillowcase. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Speaking of pillowcases I also got new latex pillows for my bed if you find yourself having to fluff up your pillows during the middle of the night when you roller over try switching to latex. It holds it's shape better and moulds a bit around your head. Not all latex pillows are the same, some are softer and more luxurious and others are harder. Not to mention dust mites don't like latex very much and so if you get allergies it's a good option. I like that I don't need to sun them out like my polyester or other fluff filled ones. 
Macs
5351 posts
Best Body care: 

Lush Ros Argan 
Soap n Glory Body Butter 
Lush Shower Gels 
Lush Massage Bar 
Vaseline Spray Lotion 
Lush Solid Body scrub 

Best Hair Care :

Ethique Shampoo Bars 
Lush Daddy o 
Lush American Cream Conditioner 
KMS Color Care Shampoo & Conditioner 
Fama Hair Color Shampoo & Contioner 

Regrets : 

Buying Nail polish because I never have time for it anymore. 

MareeB
5241 posts
There's a definite Lush theme going on there Macs....
Macs
5351 posts
I love Lush so much Maree. It’s nice to relax with Lush after a long days work . Sleepy and Twilight work wonders for me especially when I’m on night shift .
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
eek have to add the following Best Bodycare this year:

Lush Snow Fairy Spray
Lush Rose Jam Spray
Lush Twilight Spray
Lush Once Upon A Time Body Conditioner
Lush Snow Fairy Body Conditioner
Lush Christingle Body Lotion

Ahhhhh so good

Need to buy So White Spray - oh  and if they had Lush Comforter Spray O . M . G !!!!! Life would be fully complete lol
tannygirl
3392 posts
  One of my waste of money buys in 2017 was Tweezerman Tweezers. I wish I hadn't bought them they were 30 plus dollars on Sephora because I've an obsessive hair puller and want every little stray eyebrow hair out and this doesn't perform better than my $2 tweezers. I really should have gotten something in the mid range maybe from Farmers or something that was cheaper. But that's what happens when you're spending for club membership or pointage. You excuse spending more on things that cost more because you need to spend your money at that store. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!