Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

32 posts, 19 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
So a while ago I was on the hunt for a sunscreen and I picked up Banana Boat spf 50 with a 4 hour water resistance. Friday I used it a minimum of 3 times (I didn't count but I know I used it a lot) and yet I still came home lobster red and I am still lobster red today and I'm praying to whatever power there is that I don't blister. A lot of people on both the NZ and AU facebook pages aren't very happy with them either! >:( not a happy lobster! Anyone else have trouble with them?
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh no, that sounds terrible! There must be much better stuff around Shaz...
shazatron101
5112 posts
It is pretty shocking, I'll be interested to see how they respond/what happens to the product in the long run!
PutterJiffy
11 posts
I stopped using sunscreens with chemicals in them.  I used carrot seed oil 40 spf, or coconut oil which is 4 to 8 spf depending on where you read about it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
sorry i can't let that one slide. Coconut oil is NOT subnblock. My mum used to use it as a tan enhancer, cover herself in it and sunbathe. She now has yearly skin maps for cancerous moles after having had a number removed already. DON'T USE COCONUT OIL INSTEAD OF SUNBLOCK.

I'm an advocate of coconut oil, and all of the uses thereof, but that one's playing with fire and I can't not mention it sorry.
kirstyj
1732 posts
That sounds like a terrible experience! I am so careful with sunscreen as I'm super pale. My fav's are Joyce Blok for face sunscreen SPF15. It is great and melts into the skin really quickly so I can pop makeup on straight away. For body I use spray on stuff - Neutrogena Wet Skin... seriously awesome stuff. Light spraying once and it lasts all day in the strong NZ sun (not that I advise only applying sunscreen once in a day).

Also didn't Jessica Alba's skincare brand Honest get in trouble for sunscreen that didn't work? Terrible when people rely on it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh and stuff that works - Oasis Apple a Day or Nivea Sun are my go to face ones, and Neutrogena Beach Spray is my go-to body one
shazatron101
5112 posts
PufferJiffy, Carrot seed oil sounds pretty interesting where do you get it? But yeah nah I won't be trying coconut oil as sunscreen in our weather anytime soon, or in my lifetime, and I hope nobody else does either. What a silly idea. Maybe in Winter I could understand but... Nope.

Oooh Kirsty I was looking at the Neutrogena stuff today but settled on Nivea - I've used their stuff before and know it works so I'll give it a try one of these days. And yeah I saw today that she/her company had come under fire! Pretty bad! I know not everything is 100% sure to work, like Banana Boat, but thats still bad.

Yass Trudi I got a Nivea one! I know I should just spend the $$ to get a good one but I usually only use it on my face and shoulders only anyway so I figure it'll be okay ;-)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Ouch sunburn is the worst. Sounds like the product is totally ineffective. It will be interesting to see what they do about it - hopefully fix the formula for a start!
Macs
5351 posts
I've been using a cheap brand from the warehouse 365 Smart. Its protecting me and the kids very well. I have used Banana Boat in the past and had no problems. 
Rezee
1964 posts
Oh no! I wonder if they have changed their formula?  We've used banana boat for a few years with no problems,  I haven't bought a batch from this season yet though.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Well I am glad it works for some people!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shazatron is it the spray one? I've got that and have been OK with it so far but don't spend a lot of time in the sun (silly me started laser hair removal in summer!) 

I do find with sprays you've got to be careful that they are rubbed in properly - just spray one limb at time really well then rub it in. I got really burnt using a SPF70 (not Banana boat brand) in Rio as it was so hot that the spray would dry before you could even rub it in. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Nope its the stuff in the tube, though spray stuff sounds so fun haha. I'd buy spray stuff just not Banana Boat ;-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Hmmm, maybe it's just a problem with the one in the tube as I've used the spray one on and off for years and been ok. 
Ringy
825 posts
sunscreen doesn't stop you burning, my daughter got sunburnt through an SPF 50+ long sleeve rashie, she was out in the sun all day, put sunscreen on her exposed bits and ended up still with a sunburnt back through the (popular brand) rashie- you could see the strap marks from her bathers. I think the sun is just way stronger than any sunprotection- people get burnt sitting under sun umbrellas and through their clothes so not surprising getting burnt through sunscreen - soon we will become nocturnal to avoid the suns rays. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I too used it's sunscreen this part of the summer and all of us have been burnt to cinders I also topped up with extra spf 50+sunscreen of another brand and got burnt I'm actually getting burnt in burnt on burnt if that's believe able usually one burn and then I'm tanned not this summer it's the worst but the best because I love the sun and long summer days but nothing is working I really need a new sunscreen maybe Oasis will work. Now my face os a while new shade too & I don't have a suitable foundation. I just got the it cc cream in medium and that won't work so many people I knw are shocked at my shade of tan but I am M?ori, however I'm surprised too.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've actually noticed my Nivea sunscreen has become less effective this time too. So either the sun's uv rays have become stronger or they just aren't making sunscreen like they used to.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I've seen so many complaints on Facebook about this sunblock! :( hope you're not too sore xx I use Oasis sunscreen and it's been amazing, never let us down.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Wow that is so dissapointing! Im with Amy, I love Oasis sunscreen and it seems to protect my skin really well
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Eek did you see the story on Stuff atm about this exact same problem? That's so worrying! If my sunscreen didn't work I'd have a meltdown. I always use NZ made Neutrogena and Cancer Society and have never had a problem. I avoid American made sunscreens as they have differing guidelines as their sun is different.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I realize sunscreen isn't going to stop me burning completely, no matter how much I apply. The fact that my friend and I got so burned to the point of nearly blistering, as if we hadn't been wearing sunscreen at all, is what angers me the most. And yup I saw that poor kid who wore the same sunscreen (in Australia) and got completely covered in blisters. I also saw the pic that claims that the spf 50 is actually only spf 29 but I can't be certain on how true that is. I have now bought a light blue Nivea one, and it is far less greasy than Banana Boat and sits on my skin a lot better than Banana Boat did anyway. So at least some good has come out of it! 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Slip slop slap and shade, has been banged into me for years, I normally get an spf of about 15-30 because there is not enough evidence that paying for the higher spf works. I hope all that got burnt have aloe or something cooling or their skin.
pintsize
1072 posts
I have just seen this article today which tells me you are definitely not alone with your concerns.
I hope the sunburn is feeling better xx
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have aloe and I bought a cooling gel cos why not! It's been lovely. Fiance also put some lotion on my skin at 530 this morning before he went to work, which was very sweet of him. And its not too sore but it's started peeling and the skin underneath is red and shiny, I'm trying to ignore it! I am a fiend for peeling so it's pretty hard haha ;-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
So I just had a phonecall from their Customer Service team and it was a good experience. They loved that my complaint was light hearted and told me they actually laughed through it (I try not to be too angry when I complain about things) and she was super lovely, and has offered to send me a tube of the sensitive to try out, as well as some aloe gel. She apologized profusely about how bad I was burnt and actually asked how it was healing and apologized again. I'm very happy with that outcome, in the sense that they contacted me personally and it wasn't just an robot email, and I will try the sensitive tube to see how it works for me, but my faith has been slightly restored!
Macs
5351 posts
Im glad you had a good outcome in the end. I've used almost all of their products on myself and kids never had a burn. But I had seen bad burns on facebook. I hope it works for you. Must try that sensitive one on my kids. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Yay good customer service! I'm glad they are addressing the issues and being responsive.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Ive had 3 friends on my fb page post photos of them and their kids being sunburnt with using this brand. I remember ages ago it was pulled from the shelves here. From memory it was on fair go. I've also seen the article on the wee boy with his sore wee face as well.

I'm pleased you got good customer service. I'm never going to try this sunscreen as skin cancer is serious and I want to know the sunscreen I use is going to protect me. Yes I've been silly enough to be burnt by not applying sunscreen. We definitely make a real effort now tho
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Thanks for letting us know about their reponse Shazatron, it sounds like they are taking the situation seriously.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm impressed by their customer service! I mean I'm still not keen to buy their product but it is nice to see when companies actually respond to feedback whether it is good or bad.
Artemis
311 posts
Wow thats bad! Glad they gave you good service in the end but Ive heard so many bad things about this brand lately :( My boy and I use Garnier SPF50+ and sometimes I use Korean BB/CC creams with sunscreen in them on my face. Sun protection is very important to me.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!