Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Hair removal - what product/brands to you find work best?

26 posts, 22 members
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
Hey Girls,

I was wondering what brands and products of hair removal you find work best for you? Would love to find out what your favourites are :-)
xjayloux
900 posts
I use a venus razor and nu skin shower gel, works very well and nice and gentle.
Nishu
374 posts
I use a Braun Epilator and m pretty happy with it!

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
Heather
79 posts
Ah, i don't know how you can use an epilator, Nishu! I find them soo painful haha - props to you!!

I actually love using mens razors, i think they must be sharper or something because they seem to work way better in my experience. I also sometimes shave with conditioner because I feel that it can be way more moisturising than shaving gels, body wash or regular soaps :) 
BeautyGirl
162 posts
Haha i didnt even no what a braun epilator was till i saw this post ! well i have seen them in shops but didnt remember the name, that looks painful ????? i use Gillette Satin Care shaving gel there are heaps of types but i found they work really well :) and i use a schick shaver 
sunelizabeth
410 posts
Oh my god epilators are the devil! I bought one years ago with flybuys or something and it was just evil!!
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
my mum and sister use epilators regularly, and theyve hardly got any hair left on legs! well i have a facial hair problem :( and the best hair removal products i use are nads facial strips and the body strips, theyre great. i use to use the creams, but theyre messy,stinky and they buuuurn! not cool, if im not waxing my legs...which is hardly ever, i just use a schick razor...usually a mans one as theyre..well just better!
Maimy
76 posts
After reading this thread, I think I'll buy a men's razor next time I need to replace mine!
eejayybee
81 posts
I use a Gillette Venus razor for my legs and underarms and they feel lovely and smooth afterwards but it doesn't take long at all for my legs to get prickly again! The replacement blades are so expensive and I have a couple left but after that I might consider a mens razor too. I've tried Nads wax strips and Veet hair removal cream and wax strips and they're all just plain nasty. They either smell just downright foul or leave me in a great deal of pain - same goes for facial hair removal products. Until I find something better I'll continue to get my eyebrows and upperlip threaded by a lady who is, luckily, very experienced, popular and has never cut me. When it comes to eyebrow threading they generally do the finer hairs above your eyebrows aswell unless you specify otherwise and a hair and makeup artist who was getting me ready for a wedding told me that you shouldn't get that part threaded as that's what defines the shape of your face. However, this is the same "hair and makeup artist" who made myself and two other fair-skinned bridesmaids look like ringlet haired oompa loompas (oh, the shame!) so I can't say I was all that confident in the information she provided but maybe someone more credible could shed some light on that if I could veer off course just briefly?
Shazzaali
45 posts
I use the Marzena in-shower hair removal cream. Works wonders. Its so simple and easy to use. No long wait times, just rub it on (not IN) your skin, wait a few mins (I use this opportunity to clean my bathroom) and step into the shower as normal. It will wash off slightly but dont worry it will still work. It even comes with a little exfoliating glove which helps buff the hair off and leaves your skin silky smooth.
Eloursnz
45 posts
Well I know what I don't like, a few week ago I use the Veet Sensitive hair removal cream and it gave me nasty burns eek!
Angell
182 posts
I shave once a week, well, twice if hubby is lucky! Dont ask me the brand cause I need to take a photo of my razor when I need to buy new blades - Yes, you can stop laughing now!

But I do need to tell you this story - true life.

In 2001 I started a new job and met this girl, about 5 years or so younger than me. We eventually decided to share a flat which was good. Her mum told her about this product you buy at Clicks (a store in South Africa) where you gently move it in circles on your legs and the hair comes off. Quick, easy and painless. So, this girl, let's call her C, found some of it and we've decided to test it one night (it was a Thursday). Okay, so the fact that it looks similar to very fine sanding paper should've made us think twice, right??? So, after "gently" moving it in circular movements over my legs, small patch at a time for about 2 hours I was done. Done meaning the hair was off.....but so was most of my skin - or so it felt. It felt like I "gently sanded" the hair off. I tried to get in a bath of water to get rid of the burning itchyness, but OMG it was painful! My then boyfriend came around later the evening and told us how stupid we were and that if we showed him earlier he couldn't saved us loads of pain. Next day we had a "sports day" at work.... C and I didn't do any sports. Middle of December, 36 outside and we both wore long pants..... I couldn't even put cream on my legs for a few days....

And now you can stop laughing at my stupidity, I've learned a lot since then - or so I like to hope - and carry on with the next topic :)
Imoshen
461 posts
We have a product in NZ called Silky Mitt which you can pick up in your chemist for $15 for three of them and sounds exactly like what you've described here. 

They're actually a really great little product as you can use both sides of the mitt (although I wish they would put distinguishing marks on the inside so you know which side you've used and which you haven't finished using) and it's quick!

Yes, if you use too much pressure or "overdo" an area it can get painful but wow do they leave your legs smooth. 

They are terrific for exfoliating the skin and helping to stop ingrown hairs from forming.

Best way to not overdo an area, go clockwise over it a few times and anti-clockwise over the same area (you can tell where you've been because it leaves a lovely trail of white powder (dead skin cells!)).
PeterPan
76 posts
Ow Sanellep, that does sound painful. You're really good at telling stories though, I was actually wincing imagining what that must have felt like.
1139 posts
sanellep - that sounds awful! It's amazing what we go through sometimes for the sake of beauty... usually it's worth it but your story definitely made me wince a bit. I used to use hair removal cream years ago and I remember the burning feeling that happened when you left the cream on for too long - and that was pretty bad, so I would not want to feel the pain you did!
Maimy
76 posts
I've used Silkymitt before. Sanding the hair off your skin is a bit strange, but as Imoshen mentioned, it does leave your legs really smooth. I wouldn't use it again though, because my legs got super itchy a day after. I think that's just because I have really sensitive skin though. If you used a similiar product for 2 hours, my guess is that you overdid it a bit.

I've also used Marzena hair removal cream but it smells kind of bad, and I find it easier to shave. While the hair removal cream purports to slow down hair growth, I didn't notice the difference. It doesn't take long for hair to grow back, because like shaving, it just removes the hair from the surface.
pintsize
1072 posts
SanelleP I don't think anyone here would laugh at you... we are all much too nice to do that :)
I think my leg hairs just died of fright though ;)

I was looking at some mitts the other day and thought hmm I wonder about the skin so I guess I will be researching a bit more before I purchase a torture device 

xx
Angell
182 posts
Ha, dont even get me started on hair removal creams!!! Can't believe I'm going to tell you ladies this, but it is soooooooooooooooo funny and for once, not me being an idiot.  So, my cousin gave me these hair removal cream that you apparently can use for a bikini line too. So, my then husband, being the hero he though he was, said he will test it on himself before I injure myself. Now, I wont go into GREAT details about where he tested it, use your imagination but keep in mind, I wanted to do my bikini line..... Now, about 5mins in he started complaining about it burning and being really sore. I told him to go wash it off, never mind the fact that the product stated you leave it on for 10 mins or whatever. So he did. Ummm he didn't have much skin left. We had to go shopping as we had a bbq at friends later the day and he couldn't walk. He opened a fridge door at the supermarket and stood there for 20mins waiting for me to do the shopping - soothing himself. Good thing for him, the people we went to visit the afternoon, the lady is a nurse. So he told her what he has done and asked her to take a look and help him. She laughed so much, so she had to turn around and ignore him for about 10mins before she could put her nurse face on and told him she is NOT going to look "there" but the best to do is either go see a doc or use tee tree oil - which he did.  Needless to say my ex threw away the cream when we got home that evening and I didn't have to "test" it. My marriage wasn't always good, but the guy did provide some idiotic entertainment :) Now, I believe most of the creams are for your legs only, no matter what they say!
pintsize
1072 posts
Thank you Sanellep for your post! I truely needed a good laugh after today.
How hard it must have been for your friend to put her nurse face on pmsl!
I bet you had a few laughs as you were typing too :)
melskies
16 posts
I use mens shavers too, i find they leave my legs nicer and take longer to grow back-esp the vibrating ones!!
notjaya
62 posts
Epilator! Any brand is good (I suppose).
forkat2008
98 posts
Being Asian, my leg hair is fine and sparse and quite light too. It isn't noticeable at all so I don't do anything to it. I know some of my sisters started shaving and epilating and The hair would grow back faster and darker and they have to keep doing it. For other hair removal I use tweezers and an epilator. I used to be terrified of them, but I don't really think it hurts much at all and I'm sure your armpits are less senstive than your legs.
Imoshen
461 posts
Ever had your armpits waxed? Wheeeeeeeeeeee that's fun!  *facetiousness*

Gives a really nice feel and each time is less and less painful but I'll stick to shaving due to the convenience.
AmyMarf
20 posts
I swear by Nair salon wax - the strip-free stuff! It is super easy to use, isn't messy and comes away cleanly with very minimal discomfort. I've been using it to do my own waxing for the last three years and have tried other brands but nothing compares!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I will use an epilator on my legs but I will often go weeks to months in between as the hair is really fine and sparse with just a few darker ones to make me want to epilate but other than that I can't be bothered half the time. For  armpits I pluck and have shaved them in the past but I found it rather itchy. For eyebrows I'll tweeze, I have had them shaved into shape a few times long ago in Asia and then followed up with tweezers a few days later. I  think a couple times I've had them waxed, someday when I'm doing better financially I would like to get them regularly threaded or shaped at a salon.  
   For upper lips I used to use a hair removal cream but the chemicals were pretty strong and so I only did that a few times. A few times a went to a salon in had it waxed. I did tweeze it for awhile but I found that particularly painful. When I moved here I found facial wax strips and started waxing. First I tried Nads facial wax strips I had to go over the area multiple times and I still had to treeze afterwards but since I didn't have a huge based of comparison with home wax strips I thought that the way it is. Then I found Marzena wax strips which are reuseable and I found them to be waay more effective and therefore gentler not to mention fewer ingredients. So I'm probably going to stick with that brand for my upper lip.
BeverlyPryor
2 posts
I’d recommend Karmin ;)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!