Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

23 posts, 11 members
charly
456 posts
Hey, 

So I have just seen the 50% off voucher for the IPL machine at Farmers. What an AWESOME deal! However, my leg hair is very blonde. Would it work on me, do you think? Anyone blonde had experience with IPL?
Kellie
570 posts
Hey, I would say no - from what I can figure it works best on fair skin/dark hair combos. Have a Google though of the model, usually there's online info that will confirm/deny my thoughts :)
Macs
5351 posts
So I've also heard it works better on fair skin. It's really nice to have that coupon made available to us.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm soooo keen :)
charly
456 posts
Still really tempted... Maybe buy it and if it doesn't work for me I can sell it on Trade Me. 
MrsO
196 posts
Thanks, BR for making the coupon available to us, a huge saving. I am still contemplating on it, very tempted!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I will be doing a google and seeing if it would suit my skin/hair. It is a tempting offer and it will pay for itself I hope in about 6 months of waxing.
charly
456 posts
Ragingfrog, please share what you find. I'm trying to do internet searches to see if it works for blonde hair and I'm not finding anything useful.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Such a generous offer!  Buuuut can't be justified right now.  Interesting to know that it might not work so well on lighter hair...
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'd really like to hear more from Kellie on what she thinks - I know she trialled the remington one not the one on offer but just to see if it's worth persevering :) Last I read of your journey, Kellie, you were persevering with a razor at times I think?

http://www.silknaustralia.com.au/silkn-glide-150k/

^^ link from the review page for the device on BR - interesting reading
Macs
5351 posts
I'd love to hear how it's going too. It's the type of device that takes time. Be interesting to have an update.
Kellie
570 posts
Hi, sorry, just saw this - I barely had time to look at BR yesterday *sob* 

Yeah, I've decided IPL is a long game, and a game for the patient. I'm only doing my armpits at the moment, and whilst the left armpit now only has one patch to die off (!?), the right armpit is being stubborn as.  My 'kini line (which did well with my initial zip zaps) needs another few zaps in one particular spot as I noticed an errant straggler yesterday. 

I gave up on the legs during summer. My IPL unit doesn't like tanned legs, and when it's hot and you spend a good part of the day dressed in shorts and out and about with a two year old you're gonna get a tan, so I'm waiting until jeans weather hits before I get into it.

It's the old Pantene it won't happen over night thing ... 
charly
456 posts
Thanks for the update Kellie. 

I guess one good thing - I've got the 'white skin' bit sorted! :-/
Kellie
570 posts
Amazing deal though! One thing I've pondered on and off is how it works at a salon. If hair has it's own growth cycle, what would happen if you paid a thousand dollars for ten sessions (or however much it costs), and your hair was in the wrong cycles when you had the treatments, and then at the end you were left with patchy legs/armpits/bikini - I think that's why I love that it can be done in-home - it's more affordable, and if after however many treatments it's still not fully bare you can feel like you've saved money.

Does that make sense? Haha, I'm only half way through my first cup of coffee and I went to bed too late and woke up too early. Oops. Naughty!
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks Kellie... I figure the things in my favour atm are the pale skin, black hair, the season and the fact that I am quite happy to sit at night and blast stuff.  I think what it's going to come down to for me is 'in a year, would I wish I had'?

Really useful to hear the update from you - I followed your story like many on here and was wondering if you'd had a decent success rate!
Abi
29 posts
I think this is a wonderful opportunity to nab one of these, thank you BR so as I couldn't find much about it on here, I googled it & found there are other models available that seem more powerful than this one on offer. This one is 30k pulses but there are others that offer 50k through to 150k pulses surely these would perform better? I'm in a bit of turmoil as I don't want to miss out on this fab offer but don't want to splash the cash if I could get something better for a wee bit more money, or wait a while until the tech improves & the price drops anyway? Can anyone offer some advice? Many thanks.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Hey Abi...the one on offer is 150k pulses :)
Abi
29 posts
In the email I received it says it's for the 30k one?! Am I reading it wrong? Wouldn't be the first time ;)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Really would like this, such a great deal.  So if you have dark hair but fair skin, will it work?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Abi...huh so it does. I missed that (on my phone) & assumed it was the one loaded for review. Sad...that might count me out.

Mumof3 - same combo as me which i'm told is perfect for this
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I'm going to take a look at the item in person and decide.
From what I have read online the only differences between this one and the one already listed on the review is the number of light pulses it can do 30,000, 50,000 and 150,000. There is also no replacement cartridge option once used up, I figure for the amount that I wax it would be worth giving it a go for a bit.
katedraper
16 posts
Thanks for the heads up on the pulses thing. I didn't know anything about that. Charly I'd say we could go halves. But then if it's not as powerful and doesn't have replaceable cartridges...that's a few down sides already. And it is true that the longer you wait, the better technology gets and for a better price.
mallomiss
569 posts
It is a fantastic offer!! 
I've wondered about that too Kellie - with the growth cycle vs Salon visits... I'd like to think the Technician would know about these things & appointments would be made according the cycle.... if that's a possibility.
I did some research on the Silk & Glide unit after missing out on the Trial as I wanted to get one & I'm a little worried about it to be honest. There's a few burn stories and one of the Ladies at Shaver Shop in Westfield Riccarton told me they're not allowed to stock them in their stores anymore but she wouldn't say why.... 
I'm not going to take the risk just now as my chin is my problem area on my face & is scarred up enough from years of plucking & picking (I have a slight obsession). So I'll just stick to waxing & plucking... ho hum

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!